guineapiggie101

Diablo 3, is it similar to WoW

Diablo is mostly set up as a single player, but if you have friends who play, you can join up and crawl a dungeon with them. No support for guild or clans though. Totally ad hoc in the grouping. You'll need to know their battle.net RealID.

Story line is similar to most dungeon crawlers; you're a "hero" in this case one of 5(?) classes. Different classes give you different abilities as usual. Like I said, mostly a soloing experience, but with heavy emphasis on story. Basic good against evil storyline. Not really sure what more to say as far as that goes. . . ultimately isn't that what they all are?

Gameplay is less complex in terms of number of abilities and talents and whatnot, but you'll still be monitoring and managing your health and mana (or whatever resource your class uses).

Main advantage is it's something you can hop into anytime you want to, play for a bit and hop off.

Main disadvantage is (and this is a deal breaker for some) you MUST be connected to the internet in order to play it. This is a major departure for most games of this sort. Part of this has to do with DRM, part has to do with overall security in terms of the "real money" auction house where you can sell loot that drops in the game for "real money" which actually is money in a Blizzard account you can use to buy item either in Diablo OR other Blizzard games, including the games themselves. So, for instance, if you wanted to pay for your WoW subscription buy making money in the Diablo action house, you could. So it's important you game is always connected to the Blizzard servers so they can make sure people aren't cheating too much.

The overall "tone" of the game is much, MUCH darker than WoW. You might let your pre-teen run around WoW killing boars, but most people wouldn't have their pre-teens run around something quite this scary. WoW eases people into it over many levels. Diablo starts you right out fighting undead zombies and the devil.

WoW is very social, but can be played solo (to a point).
Diablo is mostly set up to be played alone, but can be played with friends (although not as easily).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade, thanks for your post.

I love solo play. Never could get really into the group playing aspect of WoW, but I had friends who loved it and would encourage me to go on "raids" with them.

I might just splurge and spend the $$$ on it. I have seen the previews for it, and the storyline is something I like.

Check out Path of Exile, its heavily influenced by Diablo and going to be free to play. I played the diablo 3 open stress test and was not very impressed overall. After trying path of exile open stress test I wouldnt even consider paying for D3. Currently path of exile is requesting $10 for closed beta keys and will be completely free when it is released.

It's hot. I am halfway through act 2 now. Playing last night and today.

Diablo is more of a "play through on nml....then try again on hard, then on nightmare, then HELL, then inferno" all while getting new clothes for your cyber barbie doll ;)

They have added more crafting, and gemcrafting stuff like wow, but I have not gotten into that yet.

Great so far. Seeing if it will run on my 2 year old laptop so I can keep watching the Devils/Rags game.

I know Diablo 3 just came out. I've played the original Diablo many, many moons ago (so I don't really remember what it was like).

For those of you who are playing Diablo 3, would you say it is comparable to WoW? Same type of storyline and gameplay?

No... it's similar to Diablo ;)

Mrs and I are playing it. Just got into Act II.

To add to quade's, a large appeal is that the dungeons are randomly generated so every time you play, it's never quite the same. Mobs, general goals and quests, yes, but there's always an exploration to it, which is nice.

I'm really digging the way they did skills / spells / runes. Basically you have 5 primary skills (left mouse), 5 secondary (right mouse) and then 4 slots for other abilities, as well as a few passive slots. As the game progresses, you gain new abilities, the catch is only 1 ability can be active at once per slot. So, for your left mouse button for example, you can only use 1 of the 5. These abilities can further be modified by what are called runes to suit your play style. Some help you survive. Some deal more damage. Some deal AOE damage, etc. Customization and experimentation for combos is going to play a big part.

You wont need to dedicate nearly as much play time as WoW in terms of chunks or "beating" it on normal. But, like WoW, it is also a loot whore game as you want loot to better your character, its random when the good stuff drops, there's an auction hall, bosses drop really good stuff ( or can ).

Playing D3 with friends is pretty easy. Add them to your friend list and hit invite. Or you can just drop in on a public game. This hits the biggest difference from WoW. WoW is an MMO, so there's 1 persistent world (per server) and hundreds / thousands of real players populate it. In D3, at most 4 people will be your world at once, and when you leave the world, it "resets". That is, the maps you visited will not be the same (they are random, like I said, for the most part in layout).

Anywho, if you like the first Diablo, you ought to really like Diablo 3.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

the catch is only 1 ability can be active at once per slot. So, for your left mouse button for example, you can only use 1 of the 5

Go into Options -> Gameplay and check "elective mode" and you can assign skills to any button/key. This way, skills aren't locked into their respective key/button, but can be put into any available one. Then, you can use all your primary skills and no defensive ones for instance.