mouth

Statistics help needed

Last time I took statistics was when I was in grad school... and that class was 16+ years ago.

So I hardly remember anything, but one thing that did help me getting through my graduate statistics class was having the textbook from a stats class I'd taken at the local community college a couple years before I went back to grad school. The text I used for that class and the text I used for grad school were both your basic intro level classes, but the community college textbook was so much better and clearer. My grad school classmates were always bugging me to borrow the community college text because it was so much less obtuse even though it was covering the same stuff.

So basically what I'm saying is that you'll have a 56.4% improved chance of getting an A in the class if you can find different books to explain the same concept, because there's a 97.5% chance that reading about something explained in a different way will cause a "light bulb" moment. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

With the information given, you would not be able to find the new median.

Actually, we do have enough information to determine the new median. It must remain at "64" because "70" cannot possibly have occupied position #21 and satisfied both the original median (64) and the original mode (60) conditions. If the original 70 occupied position 21 then position 20 had to hold 58 leaving no room for any of the two or more 60s that we know must be in there somewhere. :)

Last time I took statistics was when I was in grad school... and that class was 16+ years ago.

So I hardly remember anything, but one thing that did help me getting through my graduate statistics class was having the textbook from a stats class I'd taken at the local community college a couple years before I went back to grad school. The text I used for that class and the text I used for grad school were both your basic intro level classes, but the community college textbook was so much better and clearer. My grad school classmates were always bugging me to borrow the community college text because it was so much less obtuse even though it was covering the same stuff.

So basically what I'm saying is that you'll have a 56.4% improved chance of getting an A in the class if you can find different books to explain the same concept, because there's a 97.5% chance that reading about something explained in a different way will cause a "light bulb" moment. B|

The book didn't happen to be "Basic Statistical Analysis" by Springhall?

Came with a little management science DOS 3.5 floppy in the back?

Man, that book made me fall in love with stats. Every course in Grad School was "Quantitative Methods of..." Course the school had bought their MSM program from Bill's Alma Mater (sans the price tag).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm taking Statistics graduate level...

Think of a distribution of scores for which the mean is 65.5, the median is 64, the mode is 60, and n = 40. Suppose you later learn that one of the scores is in error. Instead of 70, the score should have been 90. What would be the value for the mean after changing the score of 70 to 90?

Graduate of what, English? History? Music?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?