JohnMitchell

Repack time? Share with a noob. :)

John, you are spot on. I always do this and now that I am on my second rig (this one with a pillow instead of a metal D-ring) I am glad I do. The pillow definitely pulls a little bit different than the D-ring.
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

All good ideas for discussion. Like others I like to open up the reserve very carefully and see how it was packed. In my experience the only thing pulling their reserve does is disturb how the bridle and PC material was stowed. Although I've seen a few innovative ways to stow bridles I've always found what I consider to be "mistakes" further into the job.

Just like every jumper should be popping the reserve, every rigger should be looking at how they or another rigger's packjob ended up. You can't improve unless your eyes and mind are open.

-Michael

You guys are getting old and no fun. Best way is to put your rig on, start a loud argument with a friend. Run among a large group of people and have him yank your reserve. Don't forget the camera's.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Great idea!

Just to add - I always run the go pro during my practice.

Gives feedback regarding both the physical part of the deployment as well as the actual deployment of the reserve.

I always leave the main in as if it's a total. Some of the rig \ canopy configurations these days are rather tight which in some cases acts to somewhat bind the reserve upon deployment.

Better to see anything like that on the ground than at two grand.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

airtwardo

I always leave the main in as if it's a total. Some of the rig \ canopy configurations these days are rather tight which in some cases acts to somewhat bind the reserve upon deployment.

Remember some of the old pig rigs that the reserve would total? :o:S Good time for the last hope rope.

Noobs, pm me for a translation. ;)

JohnMitchell

***I always leave the main in as if it's a total. Some of the rig \ canopy configurations these days are rather tight which in some cases acts to somewhat bind the reserve upon deployment.

Remember some of the old pig rigs that the reserve would total? :o:S Good time for the last hope rope.

Noobs, pm me for a translation. ;)

Dam you're old john. I had a lead sinker on mine. Went to the Nats. Pointer looked at it. Looked at the rig and sealed it, didn't say a word.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

Dam you're old john.

Hell, I remember you being famous when I will still trippin' over my static line. :DB|

I had a lead sinker on mine. Went to the Nats. Pointer looked at it. Looked at the rig and sealed it, didn't say a word.

Yeah, we did what we had to do. That whole transition era in gear had a lot of hard lessons, didn't it? :S

This is all good stuff! I go one step further and have the actual 3-ring activation done by hanging their risers with their rig. This tells them if their system would have had a hard pull on the cutaway system because of lack of maintenance on yellow cable and stiff ring mounts. Don't let them get hurt when they drop.

We had Safety Day at our house for our DZ last weekend.
Two of the jumpers hadn't pulled handles before (new jumpers)

We let them pull ours. Definitely worth it! One said she was surprised by how "hard/different" it was to pull the cutaway as opposed to the training vests we use. It was informative for sure. Great idea!

My hanging harness this year had a rig with a temporary pin under the last flap in the loop with tbe rc pin. And still a rock climbing swivel. So they cutaway using real three ring, drop abot 15 inches to secondary risers and can pull the ripcord against a real,packed reserve and loop. All while spinning between 30 and 60 rpm. Drop is far enough to scare them. PC doesn't launch and takes about 30 sec. to reset reserve rc with closing tool. Hard on gromment but this is a retired javelin.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

ILUVCHUTERS

We let them pull ours. Definitely worth it! One said she was surprised by how "hard/different" it was to pull the cutaway as opposed to the training vests we use. It was informative for sure. Great idea!

Thanks. You may have made a big difference in that woman's skydiving. Yes, the real thing is much different from most training harnesses.

Did she use good technique? Such as pulling (punching, actually) each handle straight down? :)

councilman24

My hanging harness this year had a rig with a temporary pin under the last flap in the loop with tbe rc pin. And still a rock climbing swivel. So they cutaway using real three ring, drop abot 15 inches to secondary risers and can pull the ripcord against a real,packed reserve and loop. All while spinning between 30 and 60 rpm

That's a helluva nice setup. I hope your students appreciate getting that good of training. Do you just leave a pull-up cord or closing tool in the closing loop full time?

Just left the pull up cord in. Use an Allen Silver closing tool to crank it down. Temp pin below makes it very easy to put rc pin in.

Can unsnap training rig and use their own if they want.

For all the newbies that don't take advantage of banging harness a 1974, 75 RW world champion couldn't make it to safety day and called to see when he could come by for practice.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

My hanging harness this year had a rig with a temporary pin under the last flap in the loop with tbe rc pin. And still a rock climbing swivel. So they cutaway using real three ring, drop abot 15 inches to secondary risers and can pull the ripcord against a real,packed reserve and loop. All while spinning between 30 and 60 rpm. Drop is far enough to scare them. PC doesn't launch and takes about 30 sec. to reset reserve rc with closing tool. Hard on gromment but this is a retired javelin.

I would love to try this. I just pulled mine for a repack, had an instructor hanging onto my harness, pulling and spinning me, and it was an experience, but nothing like this. It wasn't as difficult as I'd expected, but I didn't clear the left-hand cable right away, and took an extra second to clear it before pulling the reserve. Probably didn't need to waste that extra second since the RSL would've had that out almost immediately, but it was still a good learning experience.

I would still like to do it in a hanging harness, though.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

FlyLikeARaven

***My hanging harness this year had a rig with a temporary pin under the last flap in the loop with tbe rc pin. And still a rock climbing swivel. So they cutaway using real three ring, drop abot 15 inches to secondary risers and can pull the ripcord against a real,packed reserve and loop. All while spinning between 30 and 60 rpm. Drop is far enough to scare them. PC doesn't launch and takes about 30 sec. to reset reserve rc with closing tool. Hard on gromment but this is a retired javelin.

I would love to try this. I just pulled mine for a repack, had an instructor hanging onto my harness, pulling and spinning me, and it was an experience, but nothing like this. It wasn't as difficult as I'd expected, but I didn't clear the left-hand cable right away, and took an extra second to clear it before pulling the reserve. Probably didn't need to waste that extra second since the RSL would've had that out almost immediately, but it was still a good learning experience.

I would still like to do it in a hanging harness, though.Ummmm ........ what side was the RSL on ? Did you hesitate long enough to steamer your main while your reserve was deploying ? [:/]
Life is short ... jump often.

FlyLikeARaven

I didn't clear the left-hand cable right away, and took an extra second to clear it before pulling the reserve. Probably didn't need to waste that extra second since the RSL would've had that out almost immediately, but it was still a good learning experience.

I would still like to do it in a hanging harness, though.

I don't want to contradict your instructors and the whole world, but out of my 10-11 cutaways, I've never once "cleared" the cutaway cables. Believe me, you can feel when that main releases and I personally feel the best thing you can do at that point is keep your feet on your @$$ and pull the reserve.

Then hang on to both handles. You'll get back in the air much faster (and cheaper) that way. ;)