JohnMitchell

Repack time? Share with a noob. :)

As my profile shows, I, like many of us, have been around for a while. Many years of repacks and even some live malfunctions have made pulling my reserve very familiar to me.

Last time I needed a repack I found a student jumper, had him put on my rig, and let him pull the cutaway and reserve. It was a good training experience for him and he enjoyed it very much. So, next repack, maybe think about enhancing the learning of someone on the way up. :)

FruitLoop

***Make sure though to have main out in front, cross the risers behind his/her head and drag their head down toward the chest ...... it makes it so much more realistic ...... :P

And spin them around four times real fast...

:D:D Scream in their ears, smack their head a little . . . :D

the best is to do it in a controlled environment, such as the rigging loft (with rigger's consent).

You can't (or yes you can) imagine all the mess you can create/pick up with a reserve pilot chute and bridle. As much as possible, try and avoid getting that gear damaged.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

jumpsalot-2

Make sure though to have main out in front, cross the risers behind his/her head and drag their head down toward the chest ...... it makes it so much more realistic ...... :P

Some places have a swappable practice harness where you can hook up actual rigs by the rings. That'd totally work there, as long as you think through PC's flight path and collecting the resulting mess afterwards.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I used to think this was a great idea, then I started packing reserves :)

Now I would prefer people didn't do a practise because I like to 'deconstruct' the previous pack job. Different perspectives I guess and both add value.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

i'm a rigger, and i was thinking of charging an extra $5 or so for people that bring me a rig with the reserve container closed! it's free practice, should be taken advantage of. that said, i appreciate it when they leave the reserve canopy in the freebag in case it's a container i'm not super familiar with, it helps to see the packed freebag when it comes time to stuff it all back together.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

piisfish

the best is to do it in a controlled environment, such as the rigging loft (with rigger's consent).

You can't (or yes you can) imagine all the mess you can create/pick up with a reserve pilot chute and bridle. As much as possible, try and avoid getting that gear damaged.

Pilot chute jumps out about 10 feet, trailing some bridle. Easy enough to hold the bag in the pack tray. Pick a clean, carpeted area and I've never seen dirt or damage occur before. :)

nigel99

I used to think this was a great idea, then I started packing reserves :)

Now I would prefer people didn't do a practise because I like to 'deconstruct' the previous pack job. Different perspectives I guess and both add value.

What part of the pack job do you want to reconstruct? John is right, IMO, the only thing that should come out is the RPC & bridle.

Personally, I prefer they do the pull, but in front of me. That allows me to control the environment where the reserve is open and the RPC is out. It also allows me to lift the bridle up and see how the bagged reserve comes out of the container.

I'd rather they didn't bring it to me already open (but I won't turn them down because of that).

Obviously this doesn't apply to a reserve that was actually used.

And yeah, offering it to a "New Guy" is a thoughtful, considerate way to help a newer jumper gain some valuable experience.

So why am I not surprised who made the suggestion? ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***I used to think this was a great idea, then I started packing reserves :)

What part of the pack job do you want to reconstruct? John is right, IMO, the only thing that should come out is the RPC & bridle.

Personally, I prefer they do the pull, but in front of me. That allows me to control the environment where the reserve is open and the RPC is out. It also allows me to lift the bridle up and see how the bagged reserve comes out of the container.

I'd rather they didn't bring it to me already open (but I won't turn them down because of that).

Obviously this doesn't apply to a reserve that was actually used.

And yeah, offering it to a "New Guy" is a thoughtful, considerate way to help a newer jumper gain some valuable experience.

So why am I not surprised who made the suggestion? ;)

I'm quite happy if they want to deploy it. The inspection it's nice to see tricks that people have for stowing the bridle and pilot chute fabric. Not everyone follows the manufacturers instructions and it helps to see the logic of what some people do. Pilot chute fabric in between springs or not etc...

Also gauging closing loop length, did it look good and tight at the end of the repack or was it sloppy because it settled in.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Good points by many. Next cycle I'll ask my rigger if he wants to watch the deployment. :)
BTW, just had another chop the other day, tension knots on a tandem, nothing spectacular. I want to say that skyhook is a nice piece of work. Thanks, Bill Booth. B|

So this means I'm recurrent and I'll give my July repack to someone working on their "A" card. :D

Nice.!!!

to take it one step further, How About when the student gear comes due, have the instruction staff schedule a "practice party " ..:)
Most clubs and schools have a dozen rigs or so, SOME have MAny more...
get the intermediate level folks together and go ahead and simulate a main deployment followed by large photo cards shown to the subject, of any one of a variety of Mals.... then it's Look Peel punch and pull,,,, or whatever nomenclature the school uses....

I always try to practice a chop and then I DO pull my reserve handle WITH my rigger, right there,,,, to assure that the bridle doesn't pull far enough to pop out of the closing loop and allow the reserve flaps to open... whenever I bring him my rig for a repack.
Safety Day Should include harness practice, when feasible. J King @ Finger Lakes Skydivers always does that and standard policy is..... that Anyone who plans to jump at the DZ during the season, Must first perform that session, under the watchful eyes of the Instruction staff... They have a hanging harness set up, with quick connect risers, a dummy main PC and a reserve handle. A support line with pulleys is used to literally DROP the jumper about a foot and a half after the main pull, to simulate "snatch force". Successful candidates then list their name on a nearby blackboard,,, and if your name is Not on there,,,,, you can't manifest...;).. If someone can't be there at safety day, the staff is excellent about monitoring a practice session,,, ANYTIME, upon the arrival of those jumpers at the DZ...

It's a nice and useful thought, I'll keep that in mind, although it's been a while since I brought a 'packed reserve' to my riggers.
Let's just say it's been an interesting year... but I certainly gained some first-hand insight on the validity and effectiveness of those EPs of ours that we teach so adamantly. :)

Also, yes, ideally if I should go for a practice pull, I'd also want to do that next to the rigger that will repack the thing. You might never know, but there is something like a PC hesitation etc. I'd rather have a rigger right there, instead of having to explain with words what *I think* happened.

I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

I personally prefer to have people pull it infront of me in a controlled environment precisely for what was said directly above. If you pop your reserve at home or in the field and something wonky does happen, without really really good video, its almost impossible to figure out what happened.... I like to see the launch, and inspect the outside of the container for the obvious signs of damage, but also to see how it looks packed in the container whether its still tight or if it looks sloppy. If its still packed i press on it and see if i can get any slack with the reserve loop as well. If theres any compression possible then its too long... ect ect.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

This noob would appreciate the hell out of such an opportunity.

My repack is due in April; I'm going to clear it with my rigger and see if I can pull it before he repacks it. He's asked other jumpers to do this before, so I'm sure he'll be okay with it, but I just don't know if he'll want to be present when I do it.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

FlyLikeARaven

This noob would appreciate the hell out of such an opportunity.

My repack is due in April; I'm going to clear it with my rigger and see if I can pull it before he repacks it. He's asked other jumpers to do this before, so I'm sure he'll be okay with it, but I just don't know if he'll want to be present when I do it.

I've never met a rigger that wouldn't let me pull my reserve at repack time. In fact, wasn't it Dave DeWolf, everyone, that said he would charge $100 to pull the reserve for a repack? He felt every jumper could use the experience. B|

I've never met a rigger that wouldn't let me pull my reserve at repack time.

I agree and encourage people dropping rigs off to practice their emergency procedures and pull the reserve with a single caveat. They do it when I (or another rigger) is around in a clean location so that the stuff doesn't get damaged or contaminated before I get to work on it.

I had one jumper who thought it was fun to pull his reserve after his last jump before a repack while running around a muddy landing area and having a bus ride back. This increases the chances of contamination and damage and resulting in a tangled mess that he provided me when it was thrown in a trash bag for me.

So I would say speak to your rigger beforehand.