ryoder

SpecOps mice?

One effort has involved air-dropping mice that have been laced with poison and fitted with parachutes out of helicopters. It provides a deadly dinner for any unsuspecting snakes below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17992053
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Why the parachutes? A mouse's terminal velocity is so low it won't be killed by the light impact.

Because, as God is thier witness, nobody believs mice can fly. :P

It would appear pretty cruel to just toss the mice out, even though they are being tossed to be eaten.

I'm curious if the dose of acetaminephen are harmful to the mice. I can't imagine a dose that would affect the snake wouldn't have some pretty serious effects on the mouse.

And the idea of a snake eating a dead mouse (as mentioned in the story) is preposterous.
Snakes won't eat anything that wasn't alive when they grabbed it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm not too sure about the parachute either. For one thing, once the mice land, they won't be able to run and hide, because the chute will snag on things and hold them in place. That's a benefit I suppose, making them easy prey for the snakes. But then how do the snakes swallow them with a parachute still attached?

Since they're dropped from helicopters, you could just sprinkle them out at treetop level, and the mice won't be hurt by the fall, and the snakes will hunt them down and eat them. I don't see how they really need parachutes.

Maybe they're just saying that to head off complains of animal cruelty, but aren't really doing it. But then, I would think the poison alone would be enough to piss off the PETA folks.

I'd love to see what a mouse parachute rig looks like...

A lot of things feed on mice. Owls, wolves, etc, here in North America. In Guam, I'm sure there are plenty of animals there that depend on them for food. Poisoning a bunch of them will hurt a lot of other animals ...

I'm reminded of New Zealand. White people brought rabbits, who are a scourge. Then they brought weasels to kill the rabbits. Unfortunately, the weasels killed a lot of the Kiwi (the bird, not the people :) as well as a lot of other native animals.

Better to leave well enough alone, people tend to make matters worse, not better.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

A lot of things feed on mice. Owls, wolves, etc, here in North America. In Guam, I'm sure there are plenty of animals there that depend on them for food. Poisoning a bunch of them will hurt a lot of other animals ...

I'm reminded of New Zealand. White people brought rabbits, who are a scourge. Then they brought weasels to kill the rabbits. Unfortunately, the weasels killed a lot of the Kiwi (the bird, not the people :) as well as a lot of other native animals.

Better to leave well enough alone, people tend to make matters worse, not better.

Hawaii had similar problems. They had native rodents who would destroy crops, then they brought in mongoose to control the rodents, then the mongoose became a problem themselves. I don't remember the exact details. It's been 11 years since I visited Hawaii and read the history, but they do have tight controls on incoming wildlife, even family pets.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...and what are they going to do wen mice overrun the country? I know! Weasels! Cats! Exterminators on every corner!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm not too sure about the parachute either. For one thing, once the mice land, they won't be able to run and hide, because the chute will snag on things and hold them in place. That's a benefit I suppose, making them easy prey for the snakes. But then how do the snakes swallow them with a parachute still attached.

Wouldn't be hard to attach a small container for the mice to a small round parachute/drogue and rig it so when it hits the ground, it falls apart.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

White people brought rabbits, who are a scourge.

White people are a scourge where ever they go.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The Galapagos Islands have similar issues.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

One effort has involved air-dropping mice that have been laced with poison and fitted with parachutes out of helicopters. It provides a deadly dinner for any unsuspecting snakes below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17992053

"I'm tired of these mother fuckin' snakes on this mother fuckin' plane!":P
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Why the parachutes? A mouse's terminal velocity is so low it won't be killed by the light impact.

Because, as God is thier witness, nobody believs mice can fly. :P

It would appear pretty cruel to just toss the mice out, even though they are being tossed to be eaten.

I'm curious if the dose of acetaminephen are harmful to the mice. I can't imagine a dose that would affect the snake wouldn't have some pretty serious effects on the mouse.

And the idea of a snake eating a dead mouse (as mentioned in the story) is preposterous.
Snakes won't eat anything that wasn't alive when they grabbed it.

If a human ODs on Paracetamol it takes a few days to die of multisystemic failure. (A bloody horrible and very painful way to go) it doesn't take much to kill a human and so I guess its the same for a mouse, a relatively small dose and the mouse will have a few days before death by which time it will have been snaffled by hungry snakes. BTW you are incorrect about snakes not taking dead feed, they do and have no problem with it.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca