wildcard451

Miss Fall Out of Harness @ Lodi Lady

This is exactly why I did not repost the video on facebook myself. Yes, I sent it PRIVATELY to a few friends, but this is not the publicity we need! This video should have been kept to the forums. If you have a friend not on the forums who you feel is irresponsible enough that they HAVE to see this in order to hopefully scare them straight then you should have sent it to them privately. Now, thanks to one careless TI and DZ our sport is going to get a HUGE blackeye and tandems will be canceling left and right. And even if you don't jump at a tandem factory, you have to admit, tandems are what pay the bills, not fun jumpers at $25 a pop.

(This is not directed at you wildcard51...but the 500 other idiots who felt it necessary to share this EXTREME fuck up publicly where millions of people who don't understand just how rare something like this is will see it and exploit it and put every wrong twist on it possible.)

Hiding it from 'public eye' is precisely what will sink us in the end. Like any other industry, there will be screw ups. The key is to be open about them and let folks know how we dealt with the issue to restore trust in the industry. If we are not holding true to our self governing rules by publicly disciplining violators of safety and professional standards, then we deserve everything we get. Where all these stories have failed so far is that the actions by the DZO and our governing body have not been heard. We have allowed the media to take control of the narrative of this story and sensationalized it rather than showing how our self governing works.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

I agree. However, do they have a skydiver on there to explain what disciplinary actions were taken or to explain just how rare of an occurance this was? No. There's only one side of the story being told to the media. And we all know that is the only side of the story that will ever be told to the media/public about this incident. That is the sole reason why I don't like that it was made so public by the countless reposts on facebook. And unless they tell both sides of the story at the same time, our side will never be heard. Yes, they could run our side later, but let's admit it, what is going to get more attention, "Old Lady Almost Falls Out of Skydiving Harness and Dies from 14K Feet!" or "What Skydivers Have Done To Prevent Old Ladies From Falling Our Of Their Harnesses".

Will be on the Today show shortly.
Here is the attention everyone wants.
Have fun.

With the internet and youtube an event like this was going to make it to the general public eventually. I'm sure initially there will be lost tandem's over this. Ultimately I think it looks worse to suppress something like this and if it had stayed just within the skydiving community it wouldn't have the PR problems. Now it looks worse that it took a year to become public. It almost appears we were hiding it. Honestly in the long run being truthful and open about it is best in my opinion. People who want to jump are still going to and the people that didn't want to jump will be just more sure that their decision was correct for them.

(This is not directed at you wildcard51...but the 500 other idiots who felt it necessary to share this EXTREME fuck up publicly where millions of people who don't understand just how rare something like this is will see it and exploit it and put every wrong twist on it possible.)

Skydiving instructors and the sport itself is no different from ANYTHING else in this world (We as skydivers are not sitting high and mighty on top of a pedestal). This industry is no different from any other service industry geezzzzz! Bad shit happens and when it does it will be made public. This happened and it's NOT the first time it happened. Thank god this one was not a fatality like the others. Hiding it does no good to anyone.

I saw an interview on the news, with the lady. She knew there was something wrong but just hung-on. She also said that she felt the TI did a good job, even though the landing was a little rough and she got some scrapes and bruises. All in all, she was quite up-beat during the interview. She came across as naive about it all but not concerned, either.

Chuck

What about the idea that after an incident student numbers actually increase.
"no publicity is bad publicity"

I really think its a shame that this came out the same week as the first wingsuiting landing. A major milestone is reached in the sport and its overshadowed by a near miss. I bet this story wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention had she actually fallen out of the harness.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

There was video. It was going to hit the media.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

>But I'm sure the 1000 reposts on facebook by skydivers didn't help it stay
>hidden from the public eye any.

Good! It shouldn't. For one, it will increase student starts. Two, it will make people think "hmm, maybe this isn't an amusement park ride - I could die!" Both are good for the sport.

As one of the idiots that reposted it on facebook I'd like to say this is not the end of the world. It will be in the media for a few more days and that will be it. What you should really be worried about is what the media is not reporting on.

As far as the people this might convince not to jump. Everyone shouldn't do a tandem. If someone can't look at this and see that it's a fairly isolated thing I say they should stay home. If this didn't scare them then the Bill Booth video would. If it wasn't that then it would be another reason.

it's like farting: once done nothing will make it go back in your butt again
B|

"You can't take something off the Internet! That's like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool!"
-- Joe Rogan on "NewsRadio"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

millions of people who don't understand just how rare something like this

Thousands of jumpers don't realize how NOT rare this is. It's not just Lodi; I saw a recent video from a different dz where the uppers got hooked up in freefall (don't ask, I don't have it and it's not online).

If all this bad publicity increases the attention paid to passenger harnessing by every ride operator, maybe we can actually deliver the "safe" Disneyland experience that we advertise.

Personally though, I'd love to see fewer tandumbs on the dz. If this makes them realize that they really could die jumping out of an airplane, that the guy on their back that they are trusting to save them might kill them instead...

Hate to say it......if she was cute i would feel bad.
But let's face it....she wasn't and I am not feeling too bad.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Damn, dude. I generally find you amusing. But sometimes you walk up to that line, look at it, smirk and jump over with both feet and a big old grin.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Hate to say it, but...if that was Shah hanging butt-first out of a harness we would be rolling on the floor laughing our asses off!:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

True. Any 80 year old woman that isn't cute by your standards shouldn't leave the house.

Some one had to piss into the wind ;)

Now if it was http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/celebrity-pictures-raquel-welch-years-old.jpg
Well then we would have to have a talk with that TI!
I mean come on! The world is running low on very hot older ladies!

Man I would hit that like the fist of an angry god!
And I would GoPro it publish it in slow motion just to make it look that much better!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I agree with posters above,,it will subside,,,more imortant to me is with some actual fatalities and other near miss's why can't we come up with a more fool proff harness ? seems for an extra 100 bucs or so one got almost make one idiot proof,,,i just don't get it...:S

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083