Zep

Do you peel fruit?

I'm not a peeler as I understand the benefits of the Apple and pear skin.

I live in an area where nearly every one peels fruit.
I have around 25 kids from the village school every term day
eating at my restaurant,
It's taken me a couple of years to educate the kids and the parents the
benefit gained from eating fruit peel.
(All fruit is disinfected before given)

Gone fishing

you forgot bananas and kiwis ;)

I will peel banannas, but with a kiwi, I use a knife to cut the skin off the top 1/2 inch or so (the top curve) and then slice it and eat the little bit of peel on each slice.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I rub the worst of the hair off the kiwi, and eat the skin. It's better without, but I'm pretty lazy... I've been known to eat about 1/2 of the orange skin, but only after peeling the orange; I like them separate.

Clearly, if it doesn't really need to be peeled (like mangoes, bananas, etc), I don't.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm not a peeler as I understand the benefits of the Apple and pear skin.

Pears, no. Apples, if I have a knife handy, yes. Mostly because bits of apple skin get stuck between my teeth, and I may not have floss handy. Like when I'm out hiking or canoeing and an apple makes a good lunch item, and I always have a pocket knife on me, but not floss.

Oh, ha ha ha

I was on about fruit that didn't really need to be peeled
like a tomato.:P

I've been known to eat apple cores as well as sins, so generally not in favor of peeling or wasting.

Sometimes, as with oranges, lemons, and limes, I will first grate the peel, which I then save and use in cooking other dishes.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Silly game...can I play?
apples, oranges, plums,lemons,apricots,pears,peaches, mangoes,tangerines, the forbidden fruit, mandarins, tomatoes, cucumbers, : eat with peel
bananas, pomelo, grapefruit, kiwi, lychee, pineapple,: peel then eat

I recently had this discussion with a friend when she saw me eat a mango peel. I asked her when the last time was that she tried to eat a mango/orange/whatever peel was. And her reply was unsurprisingly that is was when she was like 7-8 years old.
I then gave her a piece of peel and told her she is welcome to try and that she should consider that when she was 7-8 she also did not like spicy food, dark chocolate, salad dressing and so on. A bit of mango peel is not like hard drugs, your body can process it and if you don't like it, spit it out.
She now eats orange peels, mango peels, and has tried several other things,
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

... you peel strawberries?

He does not peel strawberries. His strawberries for his oatmeal magically appear in a little storage container for him every morning by his strawberry fairy, and she doesn't peel them. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

... you peel strawberries?

He does not peel strawberries. His strawberries for his oatmeal magically appear in a little storage container for him every morning by his strawberry fairy, and she doesn't peel them. :P

omg I want a strawberry fairy! where can I get one?

omg I want a strawberry fairy! where can I get one?

I don't know if you want one, they end up costing you a lot of money. Just ask Normiss. :ph34r:

Back to the original question, I'll eat pear and apple peels, but they tend to mess up my stomach a little. Must be all the fiber in the peel!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I like all fruits with the peel left on, except the citrus (except kumquats) and bananas etc... That's where the best flavor and nutrition is.

My exceptions are peppers (large sized ones), and cucumbers. This is only because those skins are hard to digest. I can handle small amounts of the skin, but not large. I like to roast (and peel) peppers. My favorites are Sandias (hot long greens) and Poblanos.

I know that potatoes aren't a fruit, but I like the skin part the best. Baked, I scoop out the insides and only eat the skins. Mashed, I always keep the peel.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

(All fruit is disinfected before given)

Disinfected???

Not just washed?

jesus.... and people wonder why more and more folks have allergies!

When I give store bought fruit to kids with ages ranging from 4 to 10
then yes I always disinfect it first by passing it through a solution of
Water, White Vinegar, baking soda and Lemon juice, then rinsed and dried.

Gone fishing

Is that something parents insist you do, or something the state insists or just an idea you came up with?

It seems overkill to me. Not only that, but we need to ingest foreign flora and fauna as we're growing up to develop our immune systems. Our bodies have to get used to attacking bad stuff otherwise it overreacts on normal things like pollen...

It's a bit of a bug bear of mine - I HATE all the adverts for kitchen cleaners that suggest that you should be spritzing your house daily to kill every bacteria and mite around and living in a hermetically sealed bubble. It's not good for people... :S