Rstanley0312

Interesting study on quick thought, math, etc.

Here’s a simple arithmetic question: A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Enjoy
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Here’s a simple arithmetic question: A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Enjoy

Here is the article

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-cortex/2012/06/daniel-kahneman-bias-studies.html
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

The answer is .05. I'll read the article to find out why you posted this.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Interesting article. And I agree. I debate things with people regularly (SC is one example) who are perfectly intelligent human beings, but still subject to make mistakes in logic. I am incredibly aware that I am just as susceptible as anyone. It's why I like to debate things. I like having someone poke holes in whatever it is I think I know.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Kahneman's book "Thinking - Fast and Slow" is very interesting. For my part, I can't look at a question like this without spending a lot of time wondering if it's a trick question.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I posted that on FB a few months back, loads of people got it wrong, Due mainly to not reading the question properly.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nice one. Just like in my job, the trick is to think fast, but not TOO fast. :D:D

Edited to add; Just read the article. Got the other questions right, too. Must not be as smart as I thought I was. Whew, what a relief.:P:D

That's what I thought.... I was getting the answers right and then the article basically says that makes me not so smart. :D

How much does the ball cost

I dislike it. Reminds me of parasites who call themselves bankers and gamblers who call themselves stock traders. Wow, so academic [:/] - now I'll bend over

Yes, the ball MAY cost between $ .01 and .1
What goes around, comes later.

Here's another.......I missed them all. I tested 7 co-workers, and only one of them had 1 correct answer.

Scroll down slowly.

>.Giraffe Test
>>>There are 4 questions. Don't miss one.
>>>1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?
>>>
>>>Stop and think about it and decide on your answer before you scroll down.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and
close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in
an overly complicated way.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>2 How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Did you say, open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the
refrigerator?
>>>
>>>Wrong Answer.
>>>
>>>Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the
elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the
repercussions of your previous actions.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals
>>>attend .... except one. Which animal does not attend?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Correct Answer: The elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You
just put him in there. This tests your memory.�Okay, even if you did not
answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance
to show your true abilities.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>4. There is a river you must cross but it is used by alligators, and
>>>you do not have a boat. How do you manage it?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Correct Answer: You jump into the river and swim across. Have you not
been listening? All the alligators are attending the Animal Meeting. This
tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.
>>>
>>>According to Anderson Consulting Worldwide, around 90% of
the
>>>professionalsthey tested got all questions wrong, but many preschoolers
got several correct answers. Anderson Consulting says this conclusively
proves the theory that most professionals do not have the brains of a
four-year-old.
>>>
>>>

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

40 years ago it was a "bottle and a cork costs a dollar and a dime........"

Times they are a changing.

The most interesting lesson I recall was on the first day of a high school science class. The teacher opened the class saying this,
“Listen carefully as I define what sound is. It is an audible disturbance in a medium like air. Now, if a tree falls in the wood and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?”

After allowing the class to talk about it, for most everyone to have a say, he started over by saying, “Listen carefully as I define what sound is. It is a disturbance in a medium like air. Now, if a tree falls in the wood and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?” Note he omitted the “audible” word time and again allowed the class to discuss the question. At the end of the class period on the SECOND day, many in the class still wanted to argue things like, If I put tape recorder out there I can promise you…..yada, yada, yada.

I am sure the teacher was looking around the room measuring the size of his job for the next nine months.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I remember this. An old "test" that only proves the test writer has a mind of a four year old. Written pesumably by a company that doesn't or didn't exist. Doesn't test anything.

And yes, I am just mad because I failed it:D:D

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

At the risk of inserting my own bias, I think the study overlooks a possible cause. Throughout grade school the "smart" kids are used to taking tests that don't challenge their thought processes. There's no reason to think through a problem, or even consider all the possible answers, when the obvious answer leaps out at the students who are prepared for the test. It's the "average" students who are used to having to work harder, and more rationally, to deduce the correct answer especially on multiple-choice tests. For the "smart" kids the challenge becomes "who finishes first?"
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

At the risk of inserting my own bias, I think the study overlooks a possible cause. Throughout grade school the "smart" kids are used to taking tests that don't challenge their thought processes. There's no reason to think through a problem, or even consider all the possible answers, when the obvious answer leaps out at the students who are prepared for the test. It's the "average" students who are used to having to work harder, and more rationally, to deduce the correct answer especially on multiple-choice tests. For the "smart" kids the challenge becomes "who finishes first?"

I think there's a much easier explaination behind the flaws of this test: Test writers always know what the answer to the test he is writing. He can complicate a simple problem easily. Matter of fact, as curriculum develepers learn quickly, it's easy it fudge up writing a question that results in an answer the developer doesn't want.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

OK here is a quick one. Imagine starting at a point on earth. Travel due south 10 miles. Travel due east 10 miles. Travel due north 10 miles. You are now back at the starting point. From how many starting points can this be done? Where is/are the point(s) located? (Assume the earth is a smooth sphere and there are no obstructions in your path.)

Or, due to my limited nautical experience, 70% of the Earth's surface, this is duable, if you have a western ocean current half the speed of your ship.

the two magnetic poles.

Well, you are using two frames of reference. Either magnetic south is as far south as you can go or you have to include true north pole as a valid start point. I'll further simplify by just disregarding the magnetic poles and using the true north and south poles and conventional lat/lon "lines" defining NSEW to make it easier. No moving surfaces impeding or aiding progress either.

The thread is about "quick thought". Hint - the answer is not 2

Yeah, I fukkered that one up. I have the answer now, but the "quick thought" has already expired. I won't divulge the second part of the answer so someone else can have a go at it.

OK here is a quick one. Imagine starting at a point on earth. Travel due south 10 miles. Travel due east 10 miles. Travel due north 10 miles. You are now back at the starting point. From how many starting points can this be done? Where is/are the point(s) located? (Assume the earth is a smooth sphere and there are no obstructions in your path.)

a latitude with a 10 mile circumference either northern or southern hemisphere??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

OK, I'll bite. I see only one point, the North Pole as the starting point.  
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

a latitude with a 10 mile circumference either northern or southern hemisphere??

Close! the North Pole and any point along a latitude 10 miles north of the southern latitude with a 10 mile circumference! :)