skip

Packing reserves into wings containers

I hear a lot of talk about how hard wings reserves are to pack and have even read here of a rigger who charges extra to pack a reserve into a wings container. Can someone (preferably a rigger) tell me (a non-rigger) why the wings are so hard to pack. Is there anything different about the reserve deployment sequence from a wings as compared to a comparable pop top type system? Being that they are difficult to pack are there any added precautions to take when packing?

Thanks for the info – will be purchasing a new container soon and am just gathering opinions.

neil

Just like a Racer they are no harder to pack than any other rig if you know the tricks that make it easier. They are a good well built rig and Sunrise has a good customer service reputation. I tell everyone to go to the different factories and learn the easy way to do things and make some good contacts too.

as a novice rigger, i find the wings reserve to not be any more difficult to pack then any other rig.

some things about the wings i actually find easier then some other rigs, i.e. their freestow pocket is an awesome design, and eliminates the need for velcro line protectors, and their split bag is perfect since you need to really fill the ears of the bag.

the biggest problem i see happening with wings containers is loose poptops because if packjob settling and climate changes, neither of which have been a problem on any of the rigs ive packed.

as a novice rigger, i find the wings reserve to not be any more difficult to pack then any other rig.

some things about the wings i actually find easier then some other rigs, i.e. their freestow pocket is an awesome design, and eliminates the need for velcro line protectors, and their split bag is perfect since you need to really fill the ears of the bag.

the biggest problem i see happening with wings containers is loose poptops because if packjob settling and climate changes, neither of which have been a problem on any of the rigs ive packed. <<<<

Agreed, I had trouble with my wings, the reserve pop top was loose, and the pack had a bubble in it. After I would land from a freefly my reserve flap was out of pocket. I called wings and Ankie told me to tell my rigger to stuff more into the ears, and to STOP PACKING IT LIKE A JAVELIN! Rigger's have to learn how to pack Wings and stop taking things for granted. "looks like a Javelin, pack it like a Javelin" (rant n rave)
Brought my rig to Colin Berry at Sunrise for a repack, My rig looks the best I have seen in over two years with 3 riggers. He did a awesome job, shit is sleak and slim, have never had a issue with my wings sense Colin packing! Have had a sub-deployment wiht an unorthodox packing and it opened fine, has a lot to say about Wings. (rant n rave)

I hear a lot of talk about how hard wings reserves are to pack and have even read here of a rigger who charges extra to pack a reserve into a wings container. Can someone (preferably a rigger) tell me (a non-rigger) why the wings are so hard to pack

They are no more difficult to pack than any other type of rig. In fact, thanks to the design of the free bag, I'd say they were easier in many respects. What causes the problem is that many newer riggers only have one pack job, and they then use it on everything. If you use a Javelin bulking job on a Wings, it isn't going to look good. If you read the manual that comes with it, you can bulk the reserve pack job correctly and it will look great.

I find Wings to be relatively easy to pack. I can't believe anyone would charge extra to pack them. They are less complicated to pack than say a Racer where you have to flip the rig over to pin it. As far as the pop-top goes, if you make a nice pocket for the spring to sit in and keep the closing loop short enough it will come out looking nice every time. I've never had to readjust the loop on mine after packing it to tighten the pop-top down, although the DZ I learned at had a fleet of them for student rigs, so maybe it's just a factor of packing a lot of them and learning the tricks. The only thing that I find more difficult with the Wings is getting the fabric settled into the bottom corners of the pack-tray. I have found that the best results for any rig are obtained from following the manufacturer's instructions, they're there for a reason. I have now downsized and own a Mirage G3, but there are days I wish I still had my Wings. I thought it was a fantastic piece of equipment.

Blue Skies,
Adam