J-S

Critique my rocking chair.......

Hi people.

So I inquired at a modern/contemporary/eco-friendly retail store in the Bay Area if they'd be interested in carrying my design of a rocking chair. I was met with an enthusiastic "yes".

I have 3 weeks left to change or modify my design before I give them the final specs. Everyone likes the way it is that Ive shown. Ive already sold 3 the way it is now B|.

I had done 4 other prototypes of the chair to get the geometry right for a comfortable sit for big/small, short/tall and all (the seat moves a bit the length of your body to contour your curves). Theres one thing I dont like about the chair cosmetically/visually, everyone thinks Im overcritical.

What would you change about the design? Be honest, be brutal. I just want to get it right and not have to change anything once we get our contract together.

Thanks for your opinions and help!

Wow! That's an awesome chair. I really like the design and the colors. The only thing I would prefer is that it be a highback design, but that's just my preference.

I thought about a crossbar in front, but that would get in the way of your feet as you rock.

Without actually sitting in it, I can't see anything that I don't like.

I hope this is a great success.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Your chair is gorgeous! I am very into modern artisan pieces. The design is gorgeous, but as already said, it's hard to critique without sitting in it. How do your arms feel when you rest them on the chair arms that have the open space? Does it dig into your forearms? I love the masculine lines, and the curves really soften it up beautifully. It's so timeless!

It's a beautiful chair. I saw the little angle on the front to keep it from tipping to the front. Is it equally protected from tipping over the back? It's the kind of rocker that might lend itself to definite rocking, which means that you want to make sure you can't go over.

I'll admit I too like a high back better....

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What's it made out of? Metal? Wood?

I take it that those joints flex as you sit in it to conform to your butt?

How much do you sell them for?

Yep, need a high-back option. Rocking chairs put you to sleep, so then you need a high back for a head rest.

And how about some cushions?

You're ready for the "Shark Tank" TV show.

The ergonomics of the chair, the location of the seat, prevents it from tipping backwards.

It's a pretty sound chair strength wise too. I had a 230 lbs friend plop on it numerous times and told him to try and break it to no avail. It's made out of bamboo, which has a tensile strength as strong as or stronger than steel.

Thanks for the response wmw999.

Looks gorgeous...love the construction and the support system for the seat/back. My only thought as a graphic designer would be this: it looks a bit disproportionate, especially from a side view. The rocking part that transitions to the arms of the chair look really oversized compared to the seat/back support. If it doesn't compromise the design/rocking part/support & stability, I would make those parts a bit smaller..they just look a bit clunky.

Otherwise, looks great! I'd buy one.

Needs cup holders. :P

Nice chair!

do you drink beer in a cup ? :o

Nice chair indeed.

As asked by John, what is an approximate price ?
needs to be sold in kit, Ikea style :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i believe that i may have looked into making the arms come up straighter then go back at a more gentle slope. i know that when i sit in a rocker to relax, proper support of the arms is crucial and it looks a bit high in the back. as stated above, without sitting in it, i can't find any other improvements to be made. the truest test is to get baked and watch a movie in it, not that i condone the use of harmless plants or anything...don't want to wander off topic, sorry.

beautiful chair, i too would consider purchasing one if the price was right. great job!
http://kitswv.com

God how great would it be if it did have a cup holder?
I mean silly yes but so much fun!

If you don't mind me asking how much will this sell for? I would love to buy one!

And have you made any other items utilizing the same design idea?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Re: Cupholders

You don't want a cup holder on a rocking chair - your beer will slosh out all over the place.
That's what end tables are for.

an articulated beer holder, like an articulated stove on a boat :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Really nice one. I was instantly reminded of the Bauhaus design though the Bauhaus chairs were a little more "squarish" Your design looks modern, stylish, comfy and has this little "retro" element. I could imagine it being a well-selling piece of art-and-craftsmanship here in Europe, too.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Looks really nice.
A couple of small details could be cleaned up or enhanced.
the thru rods on the seat bottom alternate colors, but up the seat back they do not, I would alternate the colors in keeping with the alternating colors of the seat sections.
I think I would also have the major thru rods that terminate inside the frame penetrate all the way thru the frame, to give the same joint look as between the sections of the seat. I would include the spacers on the lower portion of the frame in this as well.
if possible I would try to hollow out the areas (or some of the areas) between the major thru rods to lighten up the look of those massive pieces. (maybe just the outside frame pieces?)
Again it looks really nice and is a piece of functional artwork.