psipike02

Military Advice

Congratulations! Sorry I didn't see this thread when it was first opened -- I actually would have had some advice on how to survive Pensacola, make it through flight training, and still have a good time. Looks like you did that just fine all on your own, though.

Wow, E-2s are tough. Not only do you have unique flight characteristics with all those crazy surfaces, but you're taking it to the boat. Nice work! Excellent attitude to have as well: "my plane is the best/most beautiful plane EVER!" Yeah, I'm paraphrasing you, but I know that's what you really meant. ;)

More advice coming via PM. In the meantime, love your life!

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I recently read a book on Naval Aviation and the qualification process from the beginning of flight school till thier night traps on the aircraft they were ultimately picked for. The book said something on the line that the more expensive aircrafts, Prowlers, Hawkeyes, were given to the most promising of the pilots that show the best ability to trap on their Goshhawk days. I believe it related to the fact that the Navy wants to trust their most expensive investments safe. This book was published during the early Ninties. Does this ring true?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes.

(I know you were asking the OP, :P but the answer is yes).

A student's performance landing on the boat does have some factor in which aircraft the pilot is ultimately assigned.

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Interesting thing. When I was younger, the Tomcat pilots were my heros (post PRK surgery now, I would never have been accepted into a Pilot or NFO program when I was younger). I served on the ground in Iraq as part of Task Force Troy, RCIED jamming, attached to a Route clearance platoon. . .Lets just say that the EA6B is my best friend in the world. And now my most favorite aircraft in inventory.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Well thank you very much and I'll also respond to your PM later.

I'm flying as NFO, so I actually haven't landed on the boat yet. My job is to control the war basically and do all the black magic that we do in coordinating our fighters and putting warheads on foreheads.

The E-2 NFO Rag is by far one of the most difficult pieces of flight training I've been through so far. But i'm still honored and proud to have made it this far.

I can speak on behalf of the pilots (because I have a ton of buds who fly w/ me as pilot studs) and say that yes, they are the best of the best. The Jets can basically land themselves on the boat. The Hawkeye cannot do that and along w/ that, there is about 4 ft of clearance for error on either side when we land. One mistake could be catastrophic for the crew and those on the flight deck and/or end up with a crew in the water.
I DO love my aircraft though....especially since we are critical in every strike group. If our plane is down for maintenance, the entire strike group mission will be cancelled.

I'm looking forward to getting on deployment with whatever squadron selects me after this part.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Hey everyone,

...Things are going well,

Congrats, big guy!
Proud parents for sure!
And rightfully so.

Prayers and wishes for your continued success.

Now... about that Army marrying Marines issue.....
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239