psipike02

Military Advice

Hey everyone, so I haven't been on here in a long time, since I had to stop jumping after losing my job blah blah blah other shit happened blah.

Anyways, after that I wanted a new challenge and skipped one of my grad classes to go to a career fair a year ago. Long story short, I pursued a commission with a US Navy and was accepted in August to become a Student Naval Aviator (Pilot) and I will be classing up for Officer Candidate School on 24 January with Class 13-10.

What I am looking for is advice from anyone in any branch as far as do and don'ts, whatever. Even though I'm going to be an Officer, I intend to learn alot from my senior and junior enlisted sailors that I will be the division officer for at some point. So please hit me up with the good and bad.

Both my parents were military as well (Mom - Marines, Dad - Army), so this isn't entirely new, but new enough.

P.S. - I know this isn't a military forum, but I wanted to get words from people outside of that type of forum whether retired or still active duty.

Thanks in advance! B|
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

dont discount what the enlisted guys can teach you. being an aircrewman myself while i was in, i know what new pilots are like =D. also, for pre-flight, dont be afraid to help close up the panels on the A/C, you would be surprised how far that goes with the enlisted and fellow officers. good luck in P-Cola.
IHYD

With an open mind towards what you can learn from the enlisted folks you will be challenged to lead, you will do just fine.

First - learn to fly. That will be your number one job. If you don't know your aircraft, no matter how good a leader you become, you won't get far.

Second - You will learn that the Chief's mess runs a squadron. They too need a good leader - don't kid yourself, that will not be you for some time.

Third - LDO's and CWO's, despite their grumpy nature (you just broke THEIR aircraft), can be your best friend. Learn as much as you can from them.

I could go on and on. Bottom line is that you seem to have the right attitude. Just one thing that always bothered me when I was junior - when the shit hits the fan and your troops are having to work extra hours to accomplish the mission - don't hang around. They don't need/want you there. Trust them to get the job done and walk away.

Good luck!
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I don't know much about the Navy but here's what I learned in the Army.

People to know:
1st Sgt - He's been there longer than God and knows more about how to run things than God does. Listen to him.

Mess Sgt. - You want steaks and beer for your party?

Supply Sgt. - Whatever you need, he's can get it. He supplies friends...'nuff said.

Finance Officer - If the troop that doesn't like you knows the finance officer better than you do, your pay records may wind up in Bumfuck, Egypt and you'll live on substainance pay until your records are found.

Your troops - Let 'em know what needs to be done and then leave them alone and let them do it. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY wants a micro-manager.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I agree with everything here so far... my ideal for any military schools: be the grey man! I JUST graduated airborne school last friday, and I assure you, of the 465 graduates, MAYBE 15 would even reconize me.

Listen to your NCOs, they've been doing the military thing longer than you, they know what to do and how to get it done, just point them in the direction you want them to go and let them get it done.

DONT be the guy who never goes out... Being if you dont go out with your co-workers (same rank and such) you will eventually be the odd man out. Being buddies with someone WILL help you down the road, eventually you will end up tied up in politics, it isnt suppossed to be that way, but thats how it is.

Dont CRASH, thats 20 million of our tax dollars, keep it in one piece and in the air!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"The captain of a ship can circumnavigate the globe and win the Navy Cross and never leave his cabin if he has the good sence to listen to his Chief Petty Officers." From some book I read, maybe Tom Clancy but I really don't remember. Sounds like good advise though.

Another story: A friend who went through "Canoe U" had a test on leadership once. One of the questions was, "A flagpole needs to be errected. What do you do?" My friend went into great detail about how to dig the hole, stand the pole and get it plumb. He failed that question. The correct answer was, "Chief, this is where the flagpole goes. Report to me when it's done."

Edited to add: Take care of your people. Back them up when they're right. Give 'em the "atta boy" in public. Hold them accountable when they screw up. Admonish them in private.
You take care of them and they will take care of you.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Listen to your enlisted. Once you get your commission, accept your coloring book and crayons for the first little bit, because that's what it may feel like (what my PL told me one day). Find, and stick, with the winners. If you have any sense, you'll be able to identify them with time, don't rush to that judgment either. If you hate your superior because he/she is smart, and a pain in the ass, that's probably a good thing.

Since it looks like you'll be a pilot, that adds another dimension (pilots/support crews/crew chief/maint. chief, etc). The air crews as a whole (from what I've seen) have a unique working relationship that extends well beyond rank

Speaking of rank, there is a difference between the rank and the man.

I don't know if the Navy's Officer Corps is anything like the Air Force's, but try to avoid the "blue mafia" protectionism that is rampant with the AF Officer's Corps.

As for your long term goals....

I don't know if the Navy brings cadets/OCS candidates into the "line" units during any part of their time in school. I know the Army does. During that time, if given the opportunity, learn from the officers about how to best shape your career path, and how to handle things as those goals adjust. In the end, it boils down to who you know, and whether or not they like you. Sounds petty, but it's important.

If you end up landing planes on carriers, you got jumbo-coconut-balls and your license to be a primadonna is granted....:D:D

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

There is a guy on these forums that go by the name of "Funbobby". I don't know if he is still here, but he's a LTCDR and a S-3 pilot(which are decommissioned now). He can give you some very good insight of the Naval Aviation program and community.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

"The captain of a ship can circumnavigate the globe and win the Navy Cross and never leave his cabin if he has the good sence to listen to his Chief Petty Officers." From some book I read, maybe Tom Clancy but I really don't remember. Sounds like good advise though.

Another story: A friend who went through "Canoe U" had a test on leadership once. One of the questions was, "A flagpole needs to be errected. What do you do?" My friend went into great detail about how to dig the hole, stand the pole and get it plumb. He failed that question. The correct answer was, "Chief, this is where the flagpole goes. Report to me when it's done."

Edited to add: Take care of your people. Back them up when they're right. Give 'em the "atta boy" in public. Hold them accountable when they screw up. Admonish them in private.
You take care of them and they will take care of you.

Well said!!! B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Wow, thank you all very much for taking the time to pass along your words of wisdom so far. I definitely intend to heed this advice at all costs. Even though it'll be awhile before I get to my first squadron, I'll try to save all the responses to this and stash them on my laptop.

I am definitely looking forward to it and can't wait to start this new path for me.

If anyone else has more to add, please by all means do so or you can send me a PM as well.

Thanks again to all of you who have responded thus far! It is really greatly appreciated!

----Hellfish #707----

There is a guy on these forums that go by the name of "Funbobby". I don't know if he is still here, but he's a LTCDR and a S-3 pilot(which are decommissioned now). He can give you some very good insight of the Naval Aviation program and community.

This could be the best advice in this thread.
Plus, he has some awesome stories and pictures.

Never make someone do something that YOU are UNWILLING to do.

If they choose to take that mission do not force it upon them.

You will find that anyone realizing you are willing to take the same risks and hardships as they do will have a huge amount of admiration and trust in you.

Never take advantage of someone else, be it an officer or enlisted, you may as well jump over the side.

Do not ever be caught looking at someones SO.

Take the advice they give you, encourage communication, encourage mentor-ship, encourage improvisation and instill a sense of pride and duty in others by leading through example.

I just remembered a Naval Aviator I jumped with in Palatka in the mid '70s. He said that one of the most exciting, fun things he could do was land his plane on a carrier in the daytime. One of the scariest things he had to do was land his plane on a carrier at night.

:)

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

First off, congrats on your commission.

Be careful what you ask for ... here is 14 years of Navy boiled down to a few lines.

Always work harder and try more. - To some extent it is an organization where mediocrity is accepted (think about the contracts that everyone is under) and it is easy to fall into. Don’t let yourself. To that end commit to yourself to try harder and be smarter than your peers by trying harder.

Leadership – it is a skill that can be honed like anything else so read and study. Start with Lincoln on Leadership by Donald Philips. Then read 360 degree leader by John Maxwell. Most of the Navy reading list is pretty worthwhile.

Always be on you’re “A” game. Someone is always watching and judging you be it a supervisor, peer or subordinate. ALWAYS.

Like several others have said ALWAYS listen to your Chief (cant tell that I am one can you …). Until you have know better seek out a seasoned and respected CPO to learn leadership and your job from. When you first think that you know better than he does you are wrong. This will first happen around a year into your Divo tour. Your Chief and you are a team, be a willing teammate.

The Chief will guide you but you still need to have a mentor. Actively seek out another officer that is well respected and at least 2 pay grades higher than you are at the time and talk to the regularly about everything. This is the single most under utilized program and has been amazing for my guys and myself.

Follow my four rules for success in the Navy until you learn better.
1. Be 15 min early to everything.
2. Work hard to be in the best looking uniform of anyone there (that is all that most people will ever know about you first hand, it really does make a difference)
3. Do what you are told and more importantly do it RIGHT NOW.
4. Be sober at work (yes, I actually have to say that)

Develop a strong problem solving ability and use it (again, more challenging than you think). Think about problems at least 4 levels deep.

Recite to yourself over and over again “What do I know and who needs to know what I know”, it will help with communication.

“Start with the end result in mind”. If you decide that you want good xxxxx figure out what that looks like in your organization and work backwards from that to design a way ahead. After that is done TELL EVERYONE ELSE.

In regard to your guys, defend those than need to be defended and hammer those that need to be hammered without regard to your emotions. Some of the time the best thing that can happen to someone is to be punished, don’t forget that.

You are already on the right road by asking these questions. Keep it up.

Have Rig will travel ...

Every person has a different experience in the military. Today I hit 10 years on active duty in the USAF. I've done nothing but fly for 10 years, which is rare.

The USAF and the Navy have big differences, but military aviation has a lot in common regardless of the service. A few thoughts from this old Eagle driver:

- Don't ever think you are the best at your job till you've proven it - all over the world - several times over

- Some things have to be taken at face-value. Pilot training is different for everyone - people go into it wanting to fly one thing and come out flying something else 90% of the time. Every job is important, but not everyone is cut out for some jobs - do the best you can and be realistic. The world needs ditch diggers too.

- Always be early

- Learn to be stingy with your gas

- Never count on the tanker to be where it's supposed to be

- Respect what other people do (aviation and otherwise) - nothing will ruin your reputation faster than talking smack about something you know jack shit about

- Fly a great jet

- Take care of your people

- Get your "other" job done - all pilots have some additional duty besides flying and that's what we normally get in trouble for

and lastly,
- Have fun - it's the best job in the world!

As you are joining the Navy, make sure that you always face directly to the bow or stern. If you face either starboard or port, the wind will rush right through your ears....and seeing that you will be an officer, it will make a very high pitch whistling sound.

Very distracting.

Edited to add: Just kidding of course!! Definitely make the most of it and experience all that you can.

My advice, (it's worth what you pay for it, and I'm an expert at it) is speak as little as possible. I once had a lieutenant that for the first month or so around us he wouldn't say anything if he didn't have to. Always short direct replies to questions asked of him, never talked about anything personal, always had this pissed off look about him. Immediately we all gave him a certain amount of respect, and people were talking about what a bad ass he was, even our platoon daddy was impressed with him. Then after awhile he began to loosen up and start talking more which is when we all realized what an idiot he was. After that all anybody said about him was "you can't spell LosT without the LT....

Be silent and mysterious let your actions speak for you....
There are no pessimists in skydiving.

My Advice: It's worth what you pay for it, and I'm an expert at it.

Hey everyone,

So its been almost 3 years since I asked for advice here and let me say I now understand every single post and piece of advice you guys gave me. And needless to say, all of you were right and I've followed and took to heart everything you've all said.

Things are going well, I'm flying the E-2 Hawkeye and yes will be landing on carriers. I'm in my final phase of flight training and will hopefully be headed to Cali or Japan for my first sea tour and deployment(s). Just wanted to come on here and say thanks again to you all.

I'll hopefully be around a bit more now that flight training isn't sucking away ALL of my life (just 95% of it). I also can't wait to be done with training so I can start skyjumping again. :)
I attached a picture of my commissioning w/ my parents from 2 years ago at OCS ( don't have an updated pic from my promotion yet) and also of my aircraft in all its beauty.

----Hellfish #707----

Congratulations, and good luck with your progression through the ranks.

I don't see any AGMs on that Hawkeye, so I guess a run on Columbus is out of the question, huh ? ;)

Don

"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Haha oh no sir. A run on columbus is absolutely doable. The main job of the Hawkeye is Airborne Early Warning/Command and Control.....which means I can have fighters do a "simulated bombing run" of hostile targets smack over the horseshoe with my direction.

Done and Done. B|

----Hellfish #707----