JohnRich

Movie: "Prometheus"

Happens all the time. In the defense of directors though, they also have to put up with changes from a the Studio. Not so much Lucas, but most.

Most films are really made three times; once as a script, once being shot and finally as it's being edited. Depending on the clout of the director, he may have a lot or little to say in terms of changes. Usually the higher powered they are the more they get to change. The second most powerful person is the star. They can see a beautifully crafted line of dialogue and if they don't want to say it or think they're way of saying it would be more clever . . . guess what happens? Of course, what they dont always realize is how they've just f'ed up something else way down the line in the script.

Considering how much movies are made by committees, it's kind of a miracle any of them actually are any good.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

While the forbes site and the other one linked in this thread really trashed the movie, I found the following blog and the very many comments useful :http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

That was excellent! Thank you for sharing that link.

One of the surprises in the movie for me was when the giant white "engineer" met up with the earthlings. I figured he would become an ally of the humans, and join with them to fight against the deadly creatures. After all, the earthlings were his race's creation and shared his DNA. But instead he turned against them and tried to kill them just like all the other beings on the planet. And that blog explains why that was.

So that doesn't speak very well for the fate of our heroine who escaped in the hijacked alien spaceship, to follow the engineers and find out where they came from.

Yeah, when I saw her heading off to find them, I was thinking, "no sequel for you." She's already fulfilled her role by being the idiot who sends back a message to her greedy corporate bosses back on Earth telling them they have a very lucrative WMD waiting to be picked up.

Ok, that's not how she says it, but that's the obvious way they interpret it.

Now all the company has to do is send a bunch of stupid miners to go pick it up while their evil robot makes sure nobody lives to tell about it.

So, it actually all does fit in as a prequel to the very first "Alien" movie back in 1979.
quade -

You do realize the planet they are on in Prometheus is NOT the planet Alien takes place on?

The precise geography is less important than the basics of the story.

Clearly, Ash, the android in the 1979 movie, knows what his mission is before he departs. I dunno. Maybe Weyland just bakes that into all of their androids' circuitry before they leave the shop in case they stumble upon the WMD aliens they're all programmed to try to get them back for the Weyland company, but clearly Ash, has been programmed to do his thing at the expense of the humans. That would make it a larger conspiracy, but the basics remain the same; send out a bunch of dopey miners and hope they find more aliens.

So whether it's the same planet or not, the company knows the WMD aliens are out there and the androids know it too.
quade -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/06/20/5-scientists-share-their-baffled-reactions-on-the-bad-science-in-prometheus/
OK this is toooo funny!
I'm glad I didn't see the movie now!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

There maybe more than one or two reasons for judging the worth of a film besides its complete scientific accuracy. ;)
quade -

OK this is toooo funny!
I'm glad I didn't see the movie now!

Of course, the movie takes place in the year 2093 - 81 years into the future. So who are these bozos to judge the future using old-fashioned 2012 knowledge? For all we know, those kinds of things will make perfect scientific sense 8-decades from now. And with the exponential growth in knowledge and technology, that's like flat earth believers saying; "Yeah, right, the earth is ROUND! OK, this is toooo funny!"

You do realize the planet they are on in Prometheus is NOT the planet Alien takes place on?

The precise geography is less important than the basics of the story.

That would make it a larger conspiracy, but the basics remain the same; send out a bunch of dopey miners and hope they find more aliens.

So whether it's the same planet or not, the company knows the WMD aliens are out there and the androids know it too.

I didn't realize that until Rans pointed it out. I thought the "warning beacon" she signaled was the one that woke the miners from stasis. That would mean it was the same planet/astroid.
the way the engineer ship crashed is the same way the it looks in the original alien movie.

I haven't checked out the blog that someone linked yet but, My questions were:

if only one architect survived the original attack and that architect died giving birth to the "alien" how is it in the original alien movie they find an architect pilot in the seat with a hole in his torso? (Prior to rans comment, I thought it was the same ship.)

If the black ooze that melted the helmet was acidic, how did the andriod (david) touch it and than feed it too the human without melting them?

how may different types of alien can there be from one source of ooze? Apparently, if I impregnate someone I get a 4legged octopus. if the wormlike creature gets in your system it just takes over your body but if the quadpus fucks your face it become the "alien. I just hit the imagination button but WTF?

Was it supposed to be a surprise that Charlize was the daughter of the old guy? the first time she she's "FATHER" reminded me of a star wars spoof. and why the hell would they run away from the crashing ship in the direction it is rolling?

What I want to see is how the chick who left ends up. She took a ship that was filled with DNA/WMD/ALIEN GOO back to what we were led to believe the originating planet of the architects. All hell would break loose on that planet.

If the movie had ore tits I could overlook the plot holes. LOL

Admittedly, I'm not a Ridley Scott fan. Nor am I a hater. I don't know any of the back story and I didn't know Prometheus was a prelude to Alien until about a week ago. I decided to watch it, anyway. I think it would have been better served as a stand alone movie.

Ok, going to go read the blog. If the answers are in there, then, I'll read them
My photos

My Videos

I don't know any of the back story and I didn't know Prometheus was a prelude to Alien until about a week ago.

See IMDB for more information:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/trivia?tab=tr&item=tr1413871

[prometheus] Was originally conceived as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien, but Scott announced his decision to turn it into an original film with Noomi Rapace (who was already set to star) still in the cast as one of five main characters. Some time later it was confirmed that while the movie would take place in the same universe as Alien and greatly reference that movie, it would mostly be an original movie and not a direct prequel.