skymama

So, you're at a cookout

Well, since titties and beer aren't on the list... :ph34r:

----------------

Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs

You can switch this recipe up by swapping out the rice vinegar for malt, sherry, or raspberry vinegars, throwing in a habanero pepper to the solution, adding bruised lemongrass, strong tea, star anise, garlic, etc. Those may or may not be delicious contributions to the art of pickling eggs—but they don’t make Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs. For those, this is the method to use.

Peel and place two dozen “hard-cooked” eggs made according to the directions below in a large jar covered with water ~ keeps them from drying while you prepare the pickling solution. Procede with the pickle.

Pickling solution

14-16 oz jar of sliced beets—beets and all
2 cups white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
1.5 cups water
2 three-inch sticks of cinnamon
4 or 5 whole cloves
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns roughly cracked into 2-3 pieces each
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
5-6 peeled small red shallots (optional)

Place all the ingredients except optional raw shallots in a nonreactive pot, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to bloodwarm. Drain the eggs and add the crimson liquid and shallots (if using) to the jar with the eggs. Refrigerate.

Eggs are ready to eat after full day and keep refrigerated up to three weeks, during which time the reddish color will more deeply penetrate the white. After that, they’ll grow kinda rubbery and too firm.

Once pickled, the shallots are tasty with a piece of decent cheddar cheese and a chunk of good bread. Bit of a ploughman’s lunch as a treat for the cook.

Hard-Cooked Eggs—Notes:

1. Place the fresh whole “extra large” chicken eggs in an accommodating sauce pan and cover with cold water exactly one-inch above the tops of the eggs.
2. Place the pan over HIGH heat and bring quickly to a full rolling boil.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and cover it with a lid.
4. Set a timer for 10 minutes (see more below). Prepare an ice slurry bath using plenty of ice and just enough cold water to allow the ice to move freely.
5. After the eggs have steeped for ten minutes, remove them quickly from the hot water with a large slotted spoon or a “spider,” and immediately plunge them into the ice bath.
6. Keep in ice water until ready to peel.

More... The size of the eggs will determine the steeping time.

USDA “Jumbo” = 12 minutes
USDA “Extra Large” = 10 minutes
USDA “Large” = 8 minutes
USDA “Medium” = 7 minutes
USDA “small” (aka “pullet eggs”) = 6 minutes

More Helpful Hints Regarding Hard Cooking Eggs:

If the number of hard cooked eggs wanted is 12, start with 13, and subtract one minute from the steeping time. So for example, when cooking USDA “extra-large” eggs, set the timer for nine minutes rather than ten. When the timer goes off, quickly remove ONE egg and place it onto a carving board, and deftly cleve it in half, shell and all - Wack!! This will serve as a test to determine whether to remove and plunge the remaining 12 into the ice bath, and immediately stir them about, so that the ice bath shock is quick and complete.

If the yolk of the test egg is still runny, allow the remaining 12 to steep in the hot water for another minute, before proceedng with the ice bath shock.

...Do you have a favorite recipe for any of them? Share it!

Oriental Cole Slaw

6 Green Onions, sliced
1 head Cabbage (chopped fine) or 2 large bags Cole Slaw Mix
2 packages Top Ramen Noodles (crushed fine) – omit seasoning mix
½ cup Slivered Almonds (brown under the broiler or a minute or two)
½ cup Sesame Seeds (brown with almonds)

Dressing:

4 tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
¾ cup Canola Oil
1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
6 tablespoons Rice Vinegar

Mix dressing and add to other ingredients just before serving. You can easily cut this recipe in half and also you can mix the dressing earlier in the day and refrigerate until ready to use.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Cookouts scare me a little. Sanitation questions, storage questions, ect.

I tend to stick with stuff that is less likely to make me sick if it isn't handled "perfectly."

Mayo, eggs, milk, anything "creamy' is all stuff I avoid.

Salads made with oil/vinegar based dressings, fruits and veggies, melons and that sort of thing are what I go for.

My meat has to be at least medium well, and I prefer it fresh off the grill.

I freely admit that I tend to be overcautious about this sort of thing, but having had salmonella a few times as a direct result of not doing the above, I'm ok with being called a chicken.

The funny part of it is that I have jumped into a couple picinics/parties as a "Bandit jump" thing, and then refused to eat the egg salad because it's "Too Risky."

:P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

"medium well"

I will NOT ruin a steak that way!!!
:P

The cookouts/picinics I usually do are more of the "Burgers and Brats" kind. I want to be sure anything in the meat is dead before I eat it.

A steak on a grill is a far, far different set of circumstances.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A steak on a grill is a far, far different set of circumstances.

On the GRILL?! :o

There are only 3 ways to eat good beef...Rare, Bloody or Mooing. :)

Just knock of the horns, wipe it's ass and it READY! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Whats a cookout???

Is that a serious question?

If so, it's a party where generally the host provides the meat (burgers, dogs, chicken, or steak), and grills it outside. All the guests bring a side dish and or desert. The entire party usually takes place outside usually in the back yard. All the food that people bring is usually set up on long tables which is why there are comments about the food sitting out too long to be consumed. Smart hosts set up trays with ice in them to place the bowls of potato salad etc...

There are usually plenty of libations to go around, the host usually provides a base of beer, wine etc.. and the guests usually bring some, too.

This is the basic set-up, but there are lots of variations. :)
eta: Doesn't the UK have the equivalent kind of party? What's it called?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Jalapeno Poppers !

Deep fried food in advance? Do you love all soggy stuff, or just this particular soggy stuff? :p

Home made poppers. I stuff the peno's with cheese and mushroom, wrap in bacon and cook them on the grill.

muy bueno

Jalapeno Poppers !

Deep fried food in advance? Do you love all soggy stuff, or just this particular soggy stuff? :p

Home made poppers. I stuff the peno's with cheese and mushroom, wrap in bacon and cook them on the grill.

muy bueno

mmmm Interesting... Thanks! :)
Remster