skymama

So, you're at a cookout

Which of these side dishes would you choose? (I think I've been watching too many July 4th cooking shows this week. :ph34r:)

Do you have a favorite recipe for any of them? Share it! Do you have a different side that you prefer? Beer doesn't count. :P

For me, I like baked beans but I'm not a real fan of the other choices. If there is deviled eggs though, I usually eat more than my share. Those are yummy!! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Voted potato salad. Just learned reading Wikipedia that American "potato salad" and German "Kartoffelsalat" aren't that much different (at least some styles).
There are lots of varieties in Germany, though. If you like, I'll translate this one into English, it's "Thüringer Kartoffelsalat" (Thuringian style potato salad)
Kartoffelsalat is thought to be a "natural" side dish to Thüringer Rostbratwurst (Thuringian bratwurst grilled on a charcoal barbie) YUMM! B| The typical meal for a picnic here!

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

all the choices are Ok w/me:)
i like sides such as ambrosia... with the little marshmallows!!
a fresh Green Salad with a couple of varieties of lettuce , with cucumbers...
Or a tomato & cucumber salad, with fresh basil, sliced red onion, some dried oregano, maybe black olives and green olives...choice of dressing...:D

ANy sorta salad with artichoke hearts, some pickled tomatos, pickled cukes, or cauliflower..
3 bean salad is usually good.

any side dish which is a mixture of rice and seafood, or pasta and beans,,,
and then don't even lets START... on chips and dips, ;) and veggie plates, and of course the obligatory Fruit Salad.... With a good crowd... there is OFTEN lots to choose from....

havin' a party?????

:)

The best side dish at a picnic/cookout: margaritas.

silly boy. side dishes are supposed to be edible. therefore the best side dish is jello shots :P margarita jello shots if you want tho.

but to skymama, I love broccoli salad. So tasty!

The best side dish at a picnic/cookout: margaritas.

silly boy. side dishes are supposed to be edible. therefore the best side dish is jello shots :P margarita jello shots if you want tho.

but to skymama, I love broccoli salad. So tasty!

Silly girl. Have you never heard of liquid lunches? :P
Remster

I like all of those choices, Jimmy! I do love a vegetable and dip plate also. My new favorite "dip" is actually a ranch salad dressing made from yogurt. So much better for you and it even got a thumbs up from Nick.

Oh, another thing I don't like is that green pistachio jello with cool whip. Blech!

We're not having a party, our house is a mess with the remodel going on. Mark is going to do a demo in Zhills anyway. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama wanted edibles

Edibles aren't recommended for cookouts. It's hard to know how strong they are and if you eat too much, you go to sleep and miss all the fun.

Oh, wait, you weren't referring to that type of edibles, were you? :$:D

Thing is as far as cook-outs go there are two courses...before & after ya get the drunk on.

After, the selection of dishes you listed have been sitting out and are hot, spoiling & full of fly-poop. . . you also need some soak up the booze to drive home side dishes! :);)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

....and WHY are all those " first prize winning" recipes and dishes.... Getting
hot and spoiled!!!????

Maybe because everyone was out at the landing area...:o excitedly watching "the demo Guys"....;) do their thing.....:D;):)

many happy cookouts. to everyone , this summer...
If you drive in, try to be able to drive out,
If you jump in, do so carefully...
:)

I voted Potato Salad and Baked Beans... but I have to qualify them both.

I like the chunked potatos with a VERY LIGHT spread of mustard, scallions, red onions, a little olive oil and a good handful of herbs & spices. I really like the mayo potato salad.. same way.. except I like it cold and not that "I wonder if I'm going to be sorry for this latter" kinda warm.

Beans. Bush Beans and Doctor them up a little too. Love the onion ones with some garlic Chalula sauce on it.

If you're going to invite me over and serve those two ugly tubs of yellow mush and bean paste.. let me know in advance and I'll bring those two sides. Tell Normiss to take his time on the demo though.. cause we know you can grill and we know he can eat. Tell him to bring the beer.

Happy 4th
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.