namdrib

Horrible Gear Purchase Experience!!!

Ok, gotta let you all know and vent a little. I recently purchased a rig from Dwayne Padgett and has been quite possibly the most aggrevating, fubar purchase that I have ever made out of the countless purchases over the many years in the sport.
Starts out with this douche refusing to send out the rig for inspection prior to receiving money, which, I can relate to, the world has definitely changed and you really can't trust anyone. So, he informs me that he has a friend close by that he can send the rig to, I can look at it, and pass the money onto the friend. So he ships it out. Now this is where the fun begins. This FRIEND is leaving out of town the day before shipment. I inform the guy that I have several contacts that he can call and verify that I'm not a crook and I convince him to pick up the package from this persons house and will wire the money upon receipt. He agrees. His friend tells me that UPS runs around 2 so I go there and wait till 5:30 when the package actually gets there. Upon inspecting the rig, I find that the Cypres that he advertised as a DOM of 6/03, which would still have 3 years left, actually has a DOM of 6/93. Which means that it should have been thrown in the trash about 6 YEARS AGO! Now I'm a little urked at this time and confront the guy about it and he informs me that "out of the goodness of his heart, he can send me a gear bag and an altimeter", Being completely frustrated with the whole process, I agree run to the bank and wire the money to the numbers that HE gave the bank, which were the WRONG NUMBERS!!! So, instead of this guy getting his money in about 15 minutes, it takes two more days. That was two weeks ago and the douche still has not sent bag and altimeter. I sent out an email letting him know that I would appreciate a tracking number or I will move to the next step, which is post on here what he did to me. He writes back with a "I don't take threats very well" and I will get it when I get it.
So, here we are, letting all of you know to NOT purchase anything from Dwayne Padgett from South carolina. If you do, be sure to inspect the gear prior to sending money. I have since told him to keep the bag and altimeter, I really don't want to wait at a strangers house for 3 more hours waiting on a delivery. I'm sure this dude will get on here and rebuke letting you all know how much of an ass I was, so I'm anxiously awaiting his response! :)
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!

Those responses are great, but guys, it didn't used to be like this. Skydiving used to be a family that could be trusted. What the hell happened? Getting old I guess! :(
Unknowing attempting to take out all 4 wheeled vehicles remotely close to the landing area!

When I try to purchase equipment from someone who refuses to do an escrow sale through my DZO, who has been in business for over 30 years, I let the sale go, no matter how good a deal it is.

Unfortunately, I got burned on a deal once too.B|

it didn't used to be like this.

Yes it did.

Skydiving used to be a family that could be trusted.

No it didn't.

What the hell happened? Getting old I guess! :(

Maybe so. With all due respect, you're hardly a newbie. If that guy truly screwed you over, then fuck him and good that he's outed. But the simple rule is and has always been: you gotta watch your 6.

Should be interesting to see if he or someone on his behalf posts another side of the story in here. That often happens, too, in this kind of thread.

Oh, and paragraph breaks wouldn't kill you, either. If you want people to read your stuff, make it readable.

I suddenly had a mental image of Andy in a habit, with a ruler...

Here 'ya go!

Ok, gotta let you all know and vent a little.

I recently purchased a rig from Dwayne Padgett and has been quite possibly the most aggrevating, fubar purchase that I have ever made out of the countless purchases over the many years in the sport.

Starts out with this douche refusing to send out the rig for inspection prior to receiving money, which, I can relate to, the world has definitely changed and you really can't trust anyone. So, he informs me that he has a friend close by that he can send the rig to, I can look at it, and pass the money onto the friend. So he ships it out.

Now this is where the fun begins. This FRIEND is leaving out of town the day before shipment. I inform the guy that I have several contacts that he can call and verify that I'm not a crook and I convince him to pick up the package from this persons house and will wire the money upon receipt. He agrees. His friend tells me that UPS runs around 2 so I go there and wait till 5:30 when the package actually gets there.

Upon inspecting the rig, I find that the Cypres that he advertised as a DOM of 6/03, which would still have 3 years left, actually has a DOM of 6/93. Which means that it should have been thrown in the trash about 6 YEARS AGO! Now I'm a little urked at this time and confront the guy about it and he informs me that "out of the goodness of his heart, he can send me a gear bag and an altimeter",

Being completely frustrated with the whole process, I agree run to the bank and wire the money to the numbers that HE gave the bank, which were the WRONG NUMBERS!!! So, instead of this guy getting his money in about 15 minutes, it takes two more days. That was two weeks ago and the douche still has not sent bag and altimeter. I sent out an email letting him know that I would appreciate a tracking number or I will move to the next step, which is post on here what he did to me. He writes back with a "I don't take threats very well" and I will get it when I get it.

So, here we are, letting all of you know to NOT purchase anything from Dwayne Padgett from South carolina. If you do, be sure to inspect the gear prior to sending money. I have since told him to keep the bag and altimeter, I really don't want to wait at a strangers house for 3 more hours waiting on a delivery.

I'm sure this dude will get on here and rebuke letting you all know how much of an ass I was, so I'm anxiously awaiting his response! :)
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Ok, just to play devil's advocate...

When you inspected the rig, you found serious problems with it (The AAD was 10 years older than advertised).

Why didn't you simply call the dude, say that the inspection revealed serious problems and then send it back? Walk completely away from the deal. Someone who would make that kind of mistake isn't someone I'd buy a rig from. What else is wrong that you didn't find?

And I have to agree with the above post that anyone who isn't willing to send the rig to an independent third party for inspection won't get my business. That's assuming a seller who I don't know in any way (reference the "Degrees of Seperation thread - I can get to quite a few jumpers in two or three degrees and that may be enough).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Now I'm a little urked

That should have been "irked". Come on guys. Let's edit a little better. :D

Seriously. this sport, this planet, has always had rip-off artists and unscrupulous people passing thru. Getting the word out to everyone is the best thing to do. :)

Why didn't you simply call the dude, say that the inspection revealed serious problems and then send it back? Walk completely away from the deal.

Yep. This was my thought. If you had the product in hand, KNEW what you had in hand, and still sent him the cash...

Elvisio "I know, it IS a nasty world out there" Rodriguez

>Those responses are great, but guys, it didn't used to be like this. Skydiving used to
>be a family that could be trusted.

Uh . . . maybe. I've been in the sport about 20 years now and there were people like that when I started.

I find skydivers like family, but more like a real family. There are a lot of really good people. There's your good-for-nothing cousin who will borrow your car, wreck it and then tell you it's your fault your brakes didn't work. There's your Aunt Emma who really means well but always seems to be a dime short and a day late. There's Cousin Patty who you don't want driving after any family event. Any day after about 2pm, actually. There's Joey who tells tall tales, each more improbable than the last; best to smile and nod.

>
I find skydivers like family, but more like a real family. There are a lot of really good people. There's your good-for-nothing cousin who will borrow your car, wreck it and then tell you it's your fault your brakes didn't work. There's your Aunt Emma who really means well but always seems to be a dime short and a day late. There's Cousin Patty who you don't want driving after any family event. Any day after about 2pm, actually. There's Joey who tells tall tales, each more improbable than the last; best to smile and nod.

Wait a minute... are we related?

Elvisio "keep the wine at the other end of the table from THAT one" Rodriguez