ryoder

Lieutenant commander McHale dead at 95

In my opinion he was one of the best actors of his generation

And yet will mostly be remembered for one of the stupidest series of all time.

I have at times wondered why the ABC network decided to change "McHale's Navy" from a serious drama to a ridiculous comedy. I wonder the same thing about "Hogan's Heroes."

The McHale character first appears in "Seven Against the Sea."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McHale's_Navy#Seven_Against_the_Sea_.281962.29
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I have at times wondered why the ABC network decided to change "McHale's Navy" from a serious drama to a ridiculous comedy. I wonder the same thing about "Hogan's Heroes."

I'll be damned! I learned something new;
It talks about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McHale's_Navy
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

In my opinion he was one of the best actors of his generation

And yet will mostly be remembered for one of the stupidest series of all time.

The McHale character first appears in "Seven Against the Sea."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McHale's_Navy#Seven_Against_the_Sea_.281962.29

Wow, quade, do you ever appreciate anything?

You seem to dis everything.

Do you ever/even enjoy your own life?

RIP, Ernest. You made me laugh and be happy! :):D:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Yes. I appreciate quite a bit. I have a lovely time and enjoy quite a few things in life. I write about things I like and things I do not like. I do not play favorites in those terms. Do a search of various movies I've talked about here in Bonfire. I was giddy as a school girl over the Higgs Boson just a few days ago. I've frequently talked about the virtues of all sorts of pop culture.

This thread's subject line specifically points out we as a mass audience do, in fact, mostly remember the man for his work on a TV series that made light of war.

To me, that is ridiculous.

I'm sorry you don't feel that way.
quade -

I met him in the bar at the Riviera years ago. We'd made eye contact and he gave me the 'nod' so I went over to him, shook his hand and told him I was a long time fan of his work.

"Who do you think I am?" he asked.

"Ernest Borgnine the actor" I replied, but in all honesty I was kinda thinkin' oh shit, this is some guy that LOOKS like McHale. :o:S

"GOOD!" he said, pointing to the guy sitting next to him who was about my age at the time..."Cause this guy is SO SURE I'm Johnny Cash, he's about got ME convinced!"
:D:D:D

I remember him having the most easy smile I've ever seen on someone.

One of the last of the 'Old Hollywood leading man types' there was.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes. I appreciate quite a bit. I have a lovely time and enjoy quite a few things in life. I write about things I like and things I do not like. I do not play favorites in those terms. Do a search of various movies I've talked about here in Bonfire.

This thread's subject line specifically points out we as a mass audience do, in fact, mostly remember the man for his work on a TV series that made light of war.

I never make light of war.
I've been way too close to it.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

"GOOD!" he said, pointing to the guy sitting next to him who was about my age at the time..."Cause this guy is SO SURE I'm Johnny Cash, he's about got ME convinced!"
:D:D:D

I was listening to a radio interview with Danny DeVito. He told the story of the time he encountered Joe Pesci at a public event. Joe came up to him:

"Hey, hey, Danny; Next guy comes up to me and tells me he liked me in 'Twins'; I'm gonna kick his ass!!!"

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yes. I appreciate quite a bit. I have a lovely time and enjoy quite a few things in life. I write about things I like and things I do not like. I do not play favorites in those terms. Do a search of various movies I've talked about here in Bonfire.

I never make light of war.
I've been way too close to it.

Good! Then we agree on something. See. We agree.
quade -

The Black Hole. Without a doubt one of my all-time favorite movies.

Ok, you're just baiting me, aren't you? ;)

Nope. Nope. Let me take this. . .

Nothing shut down a climax at the end of any movie like this one. I was just a child when I saw it and I was able to comprehend how strange/warped it was.

Besides Ernest Borgstein's character gets it in this movie.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Him and Tim Conway were quite the pair and made some of the best Spongebob episodes. I'm not ashamed to say that I will miss future Mermaidman and Barnicle Boy episodes.

Also, as an honorary Chief Petty Officer, I'm wondering how the Mess will commemorate his life.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The good stuff starts at abotu 15 seconds.

At last, the secret sauce of a long life has been revealed.

McHale's Gravy.

Great, now, when people talk about this all day, I'm gonna bust out laughing, and no one will understand why. [:/]
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The Black Hole. Without a doubt one of my all-time favorite movies.

Ok, you're just baiting me, aren't you? ;)

Nope. Nope. Let me take this. . .

Nothing shut down a climax at the end of any movie like this one. I was just a child when I saw it and I was able to comprehend how strange/warped it was.

Besides Ernest Borgstein's character gets it in this movie.

Ehh... yeah, I'll give you that the story definitely writes itself into a corner. There's just no way to show going into a black hole that will match what we true sci-fi geeks imagine on our own. So they had to go for the trippy, 2001-esque ending.

I just watched it again a couple months ago and I still think it was a badass movie. At the age I was when I saw it (8-ish) it had awesome spacecraft, badass robots, cool actors, human mind control, lasers, and a friggin ASTEROID rolling down a hallway, for cripes sake!

;)

Elvisio "to each their own, one man's trash, all that crap" Rodriguez