johnmatrix

F-22 Raptor hypoxia cause?

I've seen this in the news a bit, anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Lack of imagination.

It's something different in this system the engineers just didn't think of.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sometimes, lack of expeirence. Based on a story told by an E-2 Hawkeye pilot: There were upgrades in the cockpit and some of the new advanced instruments went from analog needles to digital readouts. Problem the builders didn't think about was the fact that with a busy part of flight, like carrier ops, needles waving in your perihipreal vision catches the attention better than changing digital readouts, especially if the readouts are constantly changing as the norm. Sometimes engineers aren't pilots or the Subject Matter Experts cannot ever predict the behavior characteristics of an airframe never previously built. I don't think there has never been a military aircraft that hasn't killed one test pilot. I could be wrong though.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The r/c versions of the F-22 fly great. But one thing I learned from r/c is that all planes crash and I'm glad not to be in them.:ph34r:

That's cheating! Besides, I would still get hypoxic trying to build one.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

OBOGS - On-board Oxygen Generation System. And the oxygen generated for the pilot is the same that gets routed through the engine structure for combustion. The pilot gets it AFTER the engine does :S It sounds like a bad design, but it's been used successfully on several other aircraft.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Rogue software.

The F-22 is the first fighter to be linked into SkyNet. SkyNet has determined it does not need the error-prone carbon-based life form in the cockpit, so it is taking matters into it's own hands.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ire services talk about retro-fitted charcoal filters disintegrating and lining pilots' lungs with black dust.

Another factor might be vests that are incompatible with a variety of garments: underwear, turtlenecks, flight jackets, sweaters, etc. The anti-G vests might be so tight that they prevent pilots from fully expanding their lungs.

Problem the builders didn't think about was the fact that with a busy part of flight, like carrier ops, needles waving in your perihipreal vision catches the attention better than changing digital readouts, especially if the readouts are constantly changing as the norm.

Very interesting point there. B| I still use an old school Alti-III as my main altimeter and use the digitals sometimes for the beeps and recording function. Our brains are analog. When the stuff hits the fan and your brain goes back to caveman, analog gauges really do get the point across quickly, don't they?

Well, it looks like OBOGS is a fairly complex system and only first developed in the 1980s, so let's call it a 25-30 year history.

This particular one can't be all that old in its design and my guess is there are differences in how this one works compared to installations in any other aircraft.

It's not just sucking on a magic oxygen tube. It's way complex.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I wouldn't have thought so either but apparently it's complicated enough to trip up a $67b program. I was reading a thread on this site not long ago where a guy reported a case of G-force induced hypoxia under a spinning malfunction. I wouldn't have thought of that but I know sweet FA. It just sounds like when you can't figure out why something doesn't work and tearing the whole thing apart you realise it's not turned on at the power point.