mik

Soft v hard links - interesting pic .....

They just tell you right out that the 3rd 4yr check is a waste of time... It's still a 4yr cycle... 4/8/12... Get it... Wink I love how people take one word and fail to read all the words....

There is no 3rd 4-yeaqr check. They tell you there is a 12 year, 3 month life limit.

Derek

Once lines stretch to their maximum stretch point, they transmitt 100% of the forces to the links and to the risers.

Your wrong about that... As the line stretchs it is using up force... It is doing "WORK" thats how you make the opening loads go away....

If you can't see that a 4yr check done twice is gives you a life of 12 years... Then I give up...

Not a thing is wrong with slinks... And not a thing wrong with rapid links... I'LL stop using them when I get my AD/CSB from the FAA...

There is a weak point in "EVERYTHING" if you can build a harness and parachutes that have no falure point lets see it...

Your a master rigger.... Why do we put a drop stitch when sewing on the 3ring release to the main lift webbing....

Killer....

Your wrong about that... As the line stretchs it is using up force... It is doing "WORK" thats how you make the opening loads go away....

When the lines stretch, they absorb energy. Once they have stretched to their fullest, they transmit 1005 of the energy. During opening when the lines stretch, they absorb energy. A 3 G spoin under a canopy will result in the jumper feeling the same forces regardless of the type of line.

Not a thing is wrong with slinks... And not a thing wrong with rapid links... I'LL stop using them when I get my AD/CSB from the FAA...

I never said stop using Rapide Links, only that Slinks are better because they are stronger.

There is a weak point in "EVERYTHING" if you can build a harness and parachutes that have no falure point lets see it...

OF course everything has a weak point. What evidence do yo have that the links aren't it? I can show evidence that they are the weak point, i.e. broken Rapide links.

Your a master rigger..

No I'm not. I've never sewn a large 3-ring to a harness.

So, you will now pack a reserve with Slinks?

Again, do you have one thing Rapide links do better than Slinks?

Sorry, for being so harsh, but have been wrong many times in this thread. I have backed up every point I have made with facts. You haven't/can't. You should step back and re-read your posts and learn more about modern gear.

Derek

Why not instally SRC (Slink Riser Covers) on main and reserve?

They are only for mini-risers to prevent the slider from coming all the way down. They won't fit on reserve risers.

IF your slider grommets are burred/sharp, you haven't been taking care of your gear. The fix is to replace the grommet, not SRC. With undamaged grommets, which get damaged by Rapide links BTW, you don't need to covers since Slinks won't damage your slider grommets.

Derek

derek,
You keep saying rapid links fail... They fail when you don't install them right...Just like a slink can fail when install wrong... Just like you said in your good/bad post about 50 posts ago...

And I know that the weakest point in a parachute/harness system is the fabric along side a seam...then it moves down the line to the main lift webbing... Each part does it own work as it was made to do... "Work" is the word we use to talk about forces working on a given thing.... Like the "WORKING" load of a slink.... Now if you let your rapid links get rusty and loose then you should use slinks... I keep mine and the othr jumpers gear in better shape...

I ask you to go read the first post of this thread... And to stop and think about what was said... Read how I said slinks were fine... Read how I said "I" would not use them on "MY" rig... Thats all I said..

If you think/know that slicks are the best thing since sliced bread, Then great... And as the other part about sac's/systems are grounded... Show me the FAA AD/CSB... Till I see them your just repeating words.... The cypres and the sac/GQ are apples and bananas... Not even close...

Killer...

Read how I said "I" would not use them on "MY" rig... Thats all I said..

Actually if you re-read your 1st post it sounds like you are saying people who jump s-link are jumping "Death Rigs"

I would not use soft links on a reserve... A properly installed rapid link of the right size "WILL NOT FAIL" ... Now if you want to use the smallest link on a micro line reserve to save 2/10th of a oz. you go right ahead... That goes with the jumper who is jumping a sub-100 sqft reserve to be COOL....

I sit back and shake my head at people killing themselves with the safest parachute equipment we have ever had.... Every and I mean" EVERY" equipment manufacturer out there are tired of people killing themselves on their gear... When are the riggers and sales people gone stop selling and packing these "DEATH RIGS" waiting to happen..

Fly it like you stole it!

You keep saying rapid links fail... They fail when you don't install them right

They fail when you don't install the correctly and/or don't check them periodically.

Just like a slink can fail when install wrong... Just like you said in your good/bad post about 50 posts ago...

No, I said if a Slink fails, it will most likely be on opening. I also said that SLinks don't seem to fail even when installed incorrectly.

ask you to go read the first post of this thread... And to stop and think about what was said... Read how I said slinks were fine... Read how I said "I" would not use them on "MY" rig... Thats all I said..

That is not what you said. You said, " I would not use soft links on a reserve..." You didn't say "MY" rig. I took that to mean you wouldn't pack a reserve, any reserve, that had soft links on it.

If you think/know that slicks are the best thing since sliced bread, Then great

Unless you have evidence otherwise, ya they are the gest thing since slliced bread.

If you think/know that slicks are the best thing since sliced bread, Then great... And as the other part about sac's/systems are grounded... Show me the FAA AD/CSB... Till I see them your just repeating words.... The cypres and the sac/GQ are apples and bananas... Not even close...

You don't need an AD (especisally since the FAA won't issue them for skydiving gear anymore), just look at the FAR's.

Derek

For example, the manufacturer can say you can only jump their rigs if you are wearing a pink jumpsuit or can only us xyz reserve, but that means nothing.

It would be interesting if you asked your rigger if they have ever packed any other reserve besides a Safety Flyer into a Vector II

Derek
Think
I wonder how many incidents have been avoided because DZ.com exists? are your own words about the Faa and rigs

Those are your words not mine... You just like to play games with words.... I'm done playing with this, You know it all and thats that... When you get your Master rigger ticket you'll be gods gift to skydiving...
Door.................

Killer...

Edited to add; Yes I think people jumping sub 135 sqft chutes and little reserves are fools and just waiting for the right place to make there hole in the ground... They are Death rigs.... And I think that riggers that pack them are not give them a safe rig to use...

LOL- right, they can't say you have to wear a pink jump suit, but you do have to maintain an AAD according to the manufacturer's requirements.

As for the 15-year life span on your rig, that's up for debate.

I have proven you wrong on several issues in this thread.

You still haven't given me one reason why Slinks are not better than Rapide links.

Derek

I don't need to... Never said it in the first place... You think I said it... I just said they are not SAFER IMO.... You can make a slink to hold 40 tons for all I care.... It's no safer then a rapid link thats been install the right way...

Killer...

edited to add... I'm not the one who said anything about the cypres, another jumper used the cypres as why GQ could ground the system...

I don't need to... Never said it in the first place... You think I said it...

"Slinks are no better then a rapid link.."

Yes, you did say it.

I just said they are not SAFER IMO.... You can make a slink to hold 40 tons for all I care.... It's no safer then a rapid link thats been install the right way...

How can you think that stronger is not safer on a reserve?

Derek

Very easy... The weakest link is the fabric.... There for the links do not really matter do they...

If PD thought that slinks were so much better then rapid links they would ground all rapid links and make you replace them with slinks... Has not happened yet...

Killer

And I'd love to know how you get that I said rapid links are better then slinks ... when I said they work equally well for the job at hand... I like rapid links you don't.. Do slinks have a higher "WORKING" load limit then a #5 rapid link... Yes... and a #5 rapid is stronger then a #4 and a #4 is stronger then a #3 does that mean you only pack rigs with a #5 rapid link before the slinks were put on the market?

Killer....

Very easy... The weakest link is the fabric.... There for the links do not really matter do they...

I think the links matter.

If PD thought that slinks were so much better then rapid links they would ground all rapid links and make you replace them with slinks... Has not happened yet...

I never said Rapide links don't work or shouldn't be used, only that Slinks are better, much better.

And I'd love to know how you get that I said rapid links are better then slinks

I never siad you said that. I asked you to give me one reason why Slinks aren't better than Rapide links. You said they are equal. I think Slinks are better and have given the reasons why. You can't give me any reasons why Slinks are not better than Rapide links.

I like rapid links you don't.

I don't dislike Rapide links. They are OK. But SLinks are better. When it comes to reserves, I wanted the best on my back. Slinks are the best.

Do slinks have a higher "WORKING" load limit then a #5 rapid link... Yes... and a #5 rapid is stronger then a #4 and a #4 is stronger then a #3 does that mean you only pack rigs with a #5 rapid link before the slinks were put on the market?

No, but I would admit that # 5's are stronger, but the downside is how big they are, which can make them uncomfortable.

You say Rapide links and Slinks are equal and you won't put Slinks on your reserve. But you don't have any reasons for that opinion.

You owe it to yourself and your rigging customers to have solid reasons for any gear opinions you have. I have a page of "Derek's Gear Tips" I give to each rigging customer and is somewhere here on DZ.com. I have solid reason(s) for each and every gear tip on that list. I can back up every tip w/ facts.

Bottom line: SLinks are better that Rapide Links in every way. Does that mean Rapide Links are death? No. But why would you not use the best equipment available?

I think I've said everything I can say. Good luck to you.

Derek

Not one comment in the TSO that said it's grounded after 15 years... Looked all over the FAA site... GQ did that after the fact to cover their a$$.. If you buy in to the manufacture can at any time pull a tso for No reason other then to save there butt then ALL of them would do it... It still passes the TSO-c23b standard there for it airworthy..

Killer...

Here is a list of all TSO-23b held by GQ. A TSO is issured to an address. They are no longer at this address and have not changed the issue. The TSO's are considered abandoned.

Even if the TSO is valid, packing it would be against "manufactures recommendations". You do what you want, I just told you what my opinion was.

I hope you don't use the same cavalier attitude when dealing with someone else's gear.

TSO Index of Articles

TSO Index of Articles Information
TSO Index of Articles Information

TSO Number:
TSO-C23B TSO Title:
Personnel Parachutes Assemblies

Latest Update:

TSO Holder's Name:
G Q Security Parachutes, Inc.

TSO Holder's Address:
295-139th Ave. P.O. Box 3096
San Leandro CA 94578
United States

Responsible Office:
ANM-100L Los Angeles Aircraft Certification Office Tel: (562) 627-5200

Part/Model Number & Name:
550 74B1594-2
63E1162-1
64B1189-1
64C1202-1
69B1451-( ) Series
75B1642-( ) Series, -1, -2
75B1643-( ) Series, -1, -2
77B1673-1, -2
78A1678-( )
79A1684-( )
79A1686-( )
GQ2575 Issue E
GQS/81-0065-01-( )
GQS82-0200-( )

Comments
Comments
Comments:
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Micheal...

You are a sr. rigger that got his ticket 3 yrs ago and your going to tell a master rigger thats been rigging for 20+ yrs and got his masters ticket over ten years ago how the reg's and TSO's work?:S

Because someone said something does not make it true... The FAA is great at giving four different answers from two different offices.... Till you see a AD or a CSB it just words.... Just like a TBO on aircraft power plants... Part 135 needs to do it and part 91 just keep on flying.... And just so you know The TSO does not "void" because the owner of it goes out of business...

Killer....

Micheal...

You are a sr. rigger that got his ticket 3 yrs ago and your going to tell a master rigger thats been rigging for 20+ yrs and got his masters ticket over ten years ago how the reg's and TSO's work?:S

Because someone said something does not make it true... The FAA is great at giving four different answers from two different offices.... Till you see a AD or a CSB it just words.... Just like a TBO on aircraft power plants... Part 135 needs to do it and part 91 just keep on flying.... And just so you know The TSO does not "void" because the owner of it goes out of business...

Killer....

Hey Killer, how many TSO programs have you worked on. I have been involved in 7 and have been doing rigging for over 25 years. Yes I will tell a Master rigger, one how won't identify himself, how the regs. on a TSO work. While you have been doing repacks, I have been rigging. When was the last time you were involved in any kind of a test program. My last complete test program was about 5 months ago. We tested the new water release fitting for Koch & Son that will be used on all military ejection seats. The old SeaWars worked just fine but someone decided that something smaller and stronger was probably better.

And on an A/C power plant, if the manufacture says you will to a TBO in 15 hours, you will do a TBO in 15 hours. And if they put an AD out saying all power plants must come back to the factory for inspection, they will all go back to the factory. And if the factory says they are all "not air worthy", none of them will ever fly again.

When the manufacture says something, that makes it true, not when some unidentified noise on the net says so.

By the way, over 50 posts ago you said you were done, DOOR.
Loose your way

Go on back to SC.

Micheal,

If you would just click on my profile you would see who I am... Not a faceless wonder... It very good that you worked and are working on TSO'S... You only have a sr,riggers ticket, You got it 5/13/2001, seal TG5 and only a back rating at that... I got my sr ticket in 1984 and my Masters 6/1/1990... So I have a little more time on paper... And if you know about the master riggers test, You need to do alot more then pack... Packing is what Sr. riggers do... I as a master rigger can remove a TSO label and repair the whole rig(Build a new one;)) and then sew the TSO label back on and log it in my book as a major repair... Manufactures don't like it and there is nothing they can do about it... As a master rigger I may repair every part of a TSO'd parachute system.... thats the power the FAA gives to a Master rigger... It's in the reg's...

If we use your "workings" of a TSO then every company would just ground all their old stuff... Like the old wonder hogs or any other old rig...

Now you have had your pilots ticket about 10 yrs longer then me and we hold the same ratings... Private single engine land.... TBO's are only for part 135 (business)airplanes.... Part 91 (private use) airplane go over TBO all the time... As long as it's still in the wear limits set by the factory you may go well beyond TBO... Ask any A&P if part 91 needs to follow TBO's... Now if a power plant gets a AD to do something then it must be complied with... Only the FAA can put out a AD, Not a manufacture, they can only send out a service letter... Now the FAA and the Manufacture work hand and hand, But I don't think that the FAA would go along with grounding something for no reason other then because the manufacture said so... We only sign off AD not even a CSB needs to be signed off, But CSB mostly turn in to a AD later...

Now I'm done with this.... There are two sides to every coin.... A person can pick the side they like and find all the reason in the world that they are RIGHT....;)

Killer.....

You only put you full name up in the last 12 hours. Are you ever sly.;)

The same web page you went to to get the information on me only has one James Ohare listed. And he does not have a riggers ticked at all.:o:$

But it does list a James O'hare, you spelled your name wrong.:$:o

Oh, and by the way, I know when I got my ticket. I was there.:S

http://162.58.35.241/aadatabase/login.asp

You just keep thinking Butch, thats what you are good at. No one could possibly be as smart as you are.
:P
I am done. DOOR. Sound familiar?