Nataly

People who go too far...

I'm guessing that a disproportionate number of skydivers are the type of people who (like to) push boundaries...

But... Do you consider yourself the type of person who goes too far? Exactly what does "too far" mean for you?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'm guessing that a disproportionate number of skydivers are the type of people who (like to) push boundaries...

But... Do you consider yourself the type of person who goes too far? Exactly what does "too far" mean for you?

What boundaries are you specifically talking about?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Meh... Interpret as you will and explain your reasoning :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Woo hoo!! a choose-your-own-adventure thread!:P I haven't done something like this since "UFO 54-40". What a rip.>:(

Nah, the only boundaries I ever pushed seemed to be safety related rather than sport pioneering. I realized that and stopped being stupid. It one of those things in life when when you are "pushing boundaries" you need to take a personal look and make sure you are pushing the right boundary.

Still gets me in trouble at work though.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Meh... Interpret as you will and explain your reasoning :)

Well....there's who I am and then there's what I do.

Who I am seems to dictate some restraint regarding not intentionally hurting other people ~ physically, financially or emotionally.

What I do when it's only myself in the crosshairs is a whole different ballgame...

Empty stretch of road - hammer down.

Walk along the edge on the other side of the fence - sure, the view is better.

Occasionally SCUBA at night alone - peaceful & relaxing.

Heck I Skydive at night into tight LZ's with fireworks strapped to my body.

I'm not trying to kill my self, but OTOH don't wanna live in Nerf world with the cubical zombies...I stay within my comfort zone.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm not trying to kill my self, but OTOH don't wanna live in Nerf world with the cubical zombies...I stay within my comfort zone.

I'm not currently a competitive swooper, but I still ride a motorcycle all day at work. I'm not sure which is more dangerous, either way the Aflac guy smooth laughed me out of his office.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm not currently a competitive swooper, but I still ride a motorcycle all day at work. I'm not sure which is more dangerous, either way the Aflac guy smooth laughed me out of his office.

Yeah brother, I don't think YOU gotta ever worry about becoming a Cubicle Zombie ! ;)

Kinda goes with strappin' on a helmet, a weapon and wearing bullet resistant underwear to go to work. :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

My life insurance agent told me that jumping with groups made my skydive risk go up...no way in hell was I going to discuss competition CP with him.

Interesting. I don't consider my hobbies all that edgy. The overwhelming majority of skydives are without injury or close call. Hang gliding is the same. SCUBA is the same. Martial Arts the same. Motorcycling the same. Shooting competitions the same. Bodybuilding, kayaking, archery, Etc. Etc. Etc.

Not pushing it at all in my view.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I

/reply]

Well....there's who I am and then there's what I do.

Who I am seems to dictate some restraint regarding not intentionally hurting other people ~ physically, financially or emotionally.

What I do when it's only myself in the crosshairs is a whole different ballgame...

Empty stretch of road - hammer down.

Walk along the edge on the other side of the fence - sure, the view is better.

Occasionally SCUBA at night alone - peaceful & relaxing.

Heck I Skydive at night into tight LZ's with fireworks strapped to my body.

Because one person comfort zone is outside another persons limits, the first person is said to bi giong too far. It's just a matter of perspective.

If you can'tt run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Exactly what does "too far" mean for you?

When you start to forget who you are and where you came from...

...at this point I found it beneficial to take a step back before you continue on your journey so as not to lose yourself.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Generally I only go too far if I don't realize it. I'm not real good at knowing where social boxes begin and end, so I mess up there. But it's important to me to treat people with respect, which tends to lead ot moderation in much.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I really wish I would push boundaries more. I am way too conservative for my own liking, it's just hard to change the way you've behaved for nearly 40 years.

The jest example of too far that I know of, a draftsman that I worked with. He was in his 60's and no woman at work was safe from his advances. I'll never forget September 11th. As the news broke around the office, he walked up to a couple of the female staff and said "shit we all could die, fuck me now and at least you'll die happy". How he never got into trouble I don't know, that kind of stuff went on all the time, it's just the most shocking incident.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Way too far, not nearly far enough, it's so hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Well put - my favourite answer so far :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Generally, No.

I AM a wise ass. Stupid people see that as being immature or mean. So SOMEITMES my comments can be viewed as going too far. (see this post)
People who KNOW me, know I am a good-hearted person who has a quit wit for humor. some people get hit with that shrapnel because they walk in at the wrong pt of my conversation.

I get over that quickly.

as far as Pushing the boundaries of the sport. Nah, you'll never see my name in the "leading edge" of the sport. I enjoy it too much to risk my life. :)
My photos

My Videos