mrubin

Shoulder Surgery

I'm having some arthroscopic surgery done on my left shoulder this Friday to clean up the area around my rotator cuff. As far as we know, there is no tear but we won't know for sure until they get in there. The doctor told me that I should expect a recovery time of about 6 weeks. I am not looking forward to 6 weeks spent on the ground, but it will be worth it to not have to live with the constant pain. Is there anybody that went through something like this that can let me know what to expect during recovery?
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I had a slightly different shoulder surgery done Nov of 2011. I had a complete front labral tear and a slight tear in the back on my left shoulder.

They told me approx 5-6 months recovery for full use, and they were correct....for normal use (ie playing basketball, masturbation, pouring coffee). Actually I was good to go in about 3.5 months.

Skydiving, however, is not what the consider normal use. I started jumping 4 months after surgery and the shoulder held up but it was sore and every once in awhile some spaz would take out a formation and my shoulder would get tweaked for a couple weeks.

Really took me about 8-9 months of PT 3 times a week before I considered my shoulder 100% for making several jumps a weekend.

Probably would have taken less time if I did more PT and waited a bit longer before starting again. Getting the shoulder tweaked a bunch of times was a set back for sure....but its hard to stay away. :)

It really comes down to you though, how fast you heal, how well you do with PT and your ability to temper your desire to jump while recovering.

Hope this helps!
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Rotator cuff surgery 2009. Had to reattach tendon with screws.

61 days from surgery till I jumped. Doctor had cleared me for full activity but still added don't push too hard. Shoulder was still stiff and sometimes reaching back for BOC was sometimes difficult but learning to dearch/grab BOC/rearch/pitch helped. Totally 100% now.

I did the full PT doctor ordered (3 & 2 times per week) and PT several times a day on my own.
I pushed hard on PT cause I was scheduled to go to the Irish Parachute Club Boogie 10 weeks after surgery.:)
I'm sure I was living with a partial tear for years. My arm would get sore after heavy use. Finished RC off when I couldn't get my hand out of a leg strap during a bad group exit.

Follow dotor's instruction and do your PT, and I'm sure you will recover fine. Don't think so much about the time being on the ground but that you will be extending your jumping life.

Shoulder surgery can currently suck my dick.

May 29th
60% percutaneous supraspinatus repair, extensive debridement, and the fun part, decompression and a distal clavicle excision.

7 weeks post op and have just started being allowed to lift my arm and do static isometric exercises. Range of motion is slowly coming back, but I still have a lot of inflammation from the DCE. Full recovery in 3-4 months is what is quoted, and not allowed to start weight training / strengthening until 12 weeks post op.

March 25th was my last jump and counting....