theonlyski

Graston Technique?

Anyone have any experience with it? Physical therapist recommended it for my shoulder issues, just curious if anyone has any stories bout it.

I know it's not going to be comfortable, went over their website, just looking for real experiences.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Graston is a common treatment for Illotibial band syndrome, which is common in runners. It is a sort of form of active release therapy (technically both of these therapies are proprietary, but the similarities are pretty obvious). It has a pretty good rate of success for ITBS. There are a bunch of videos on the web demostrating it. I haven't had Graston but did have ART. Not comfortable but effective.

I don't know anything about using it on the shoulder.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

The PT thinks it will REALLY help me out, so I'm all for it, just wondering if anyone had a good story to share and a success rate for their rehab.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I did months of PT for my shoulder after surgery and it really helped. I still have to do PT to keep it tight but instead of actual PT I started indoor rock climbing when I was able and it's been absolutely incredible for my shoulder. The dynamic movements and constant muscle confusion have really helped beef up all the little stabalizer muscles that PT was hitting but this took it to another level. You just have to be cautious of reaching too far and keep movements slow and deliberate.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Graston is a common treatment for Illotibial band syndrome, which is common in runners.

I've never heard of this - thanks for the info. I don't have the syndrome, but my I.T. bands would get tight and sore after running. I currently roll them out with a foam roller, and that seems to work for me.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Guess I could update this:

Had my pre-second PT apt using them yesterday, made a marked difference in my posture and shoulder.

I have another apt tomorrow, but that should be lots of fun, still covered in bruises from yesterday, so tomorrow is going to be more pain I bet!

For those wondering how bad it feels, they actually take a stainless steel bar and grind it against your ribs at some point... hurts quite a bit!

Pain means they're doing it right :)

Hope you mend fast though, good luck ski
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

posture... shoulder... bruises???

Landed off the DZ, eh?:)

I'd venture to say that I had a better landing than you, just nobody around to see it.

May need to get you some glasses for spotting though.

the spot was awesome when i climbed out...

Sorry, I pulled lower than you did.. I was handling something :P