Nataly

If you could change one thing...

About your current situation, would you? What would it be?

Probably a few too numerous to mention here.

You know those guys who say they have no regrets? I think they're in deep denial. I think everybody who has lived long enough has something they'd like to go back and fix -- even if they won't admit it to themselves for reasons of pride.

Think about it. If you say you wouldn't change anything or regret anything then you've lead a perfect life.

Nobody does that.

We've all fucked up at some point or another. Hurt somebody. Didn't do the absolute best job we could have.

So, yeah, I have a number of things I'd like to fix.

I'm not stupid enough to list them here though. ;)

^^ this
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

It is interesting (however philosophically trivial it may be) that when asked the question of what one thing a person would change about their situation that some people look at what they'd change about their past and some people state what they'd like to be able to do in the future.

Yep. The subject of changing something in your past has come up time and again... I wanted to know something entirely different - is there anything you would change *now*.

Had people answered the question, I would have expected a lot of "I would have more money". For lack of a specific plan, money always seems to be the solution to just about any problem. I thought about my own question and that was my initial response. All I really want is to double my salary. I have a part-time job, so twice what I make would be a normal salary. Also, I *actually* work the same hours as if I were full time, so recognition of this fact would be nice.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Incidentally, google Herzberg's theories of motivation. Salary falls into the "hygiene factors" of motivation. These are things that do NOT motivate, but if they are wrong/too low they *de-motivate* and make you *unhappy*. (http://www.netmba.com/mgmt/ob/motivation/herzberg/)

Real motivators include achievement, recognition, advancement, growth, responsibility, et cetera. I know this theory is within the work context, but I think it applies more broadly to life in general.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I'd be 42 years younger.

I'd settle for 42 years old.

I AM 42 years old, so I'll just say it's all good. :P Actually, that coincidence reminded me of comments I would get when I was 18, fresh out of high school and about to start college. I heard a lot of "if I were your age again...." It made me focus on the fact that I WAS my age, and had a fantastic opportunity. I didn't want to be THEIR age and wishing I had done things differently. The result is that I still "own" my age. I don't care who knows my true age, because I've enjoyed every stage (while still accomplishing goals), and ultimately, I earned these years.

Of course, I compare myself to what I remember of my mother at this age, and it just doesn't compute! :P I mean, sometimes that number just doesn't seem right. When did this happen? ;)
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Except "now" is fleeting.

I don't want to get all philosophical this early in the morning, but I'm typing "now" and as soon as you read this, even if you read it the very moment I post it, it's no longer now, but the past.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So for me, sadly i wish i could have a bit more cash on hand.

That is sad given the choice to change anything, but the good news is that you can go out there and get some more....unfortunately for me however, cowbell production is at an all time low.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I don't want to get all philosophical this early in the morning, but I'm typing "now" and as soon as you read this, even if you read it the very moment I post it, it's no longer now, but the past.

No wonder these forums never make any progress...we're all living in the past!

No wonder these forums never make any progress...we're all living in the past!

:D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

That is sad given the choice to change anything, but the good news is that you can go out there and get some more....unfortunately for me however, cowbell production is at an all time low.

I don't know if it really is sad... Given the choice to change *anything*, I truly think the only thing I really need is a more reasonable salary.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I don't know if it really is sad... Given the choice to change *anything*, I truly think the only thing I really need is a more reasonable salary.

Economically we're fine. I'm still working because I love my job.

One thing? That Vskydiver could enjoy normal health. [:/]

Well I think you're just being practical...and you can change that. I think many people may read your OP as something they cannot change.

For me, I'm powerless over cowbell - having to listen to a continuous loop of "Low Rider" and "Don't fear the Reaper..."

Well I think you're just being practical...and you can change that. I think many people may read your OP as something they cannot change.

For me, I'm powerless over cowbell - having to listen to a continuous loop of "Low Rider" and "Don't fear the Reaper..."

Well, maybe I lack imagination, but it's really the only thing I can think of that is worth changing. And I *am* pretty powerless to change my salary - been trying for over a year!!! :D:D

ETA - I guess that makes me pretty lucky if I can't think of anything else I really want :)
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

You could get your OWN cowbell...

I've run out of space on my smokey chrome Pearl...

You people just don't get it.

http://thegodbrother.deviantart.com/art/Cowbell-Shortage-95020987

I suppose I missed my calling...

When I was 18 I had a choice to either buy a motorcycle, live on a farm and marry the farmers daughter...a little hot blonde I met in Florida....or go to college.

I opted to go to college...I bet that farm had plenty of cowbell to satiate my lust, but I'm a risk taker and now I'm paying the piper.

Probably a few too numerous to mention here.

You know those guys who say they have no regrets? I think they're in deep denial. I think everybody who has lived long enough has something they'd like to go back and fix -- even if they won't admit it to themselves for reasons of pride.

Think about it. If you say you wouldn't change anything or regret anything then you've lead a perfect life.

Nobody does that.

We've all fucked up at some point or another. Hurt somebody. Didn't do the absolute best job we could have.

So, yeah, I have a number of things I'd like to fix.

I'm not stupid enough to list them here though. ;)

Of course I would not make some of my previous mistakes, but the question was what we would change about our current situation. I currently have no problems that couldn't be fixed with a bigger bank account, or at least none that i want to fix. :D I have friends and family with unmet needs more complicated than money, but it's all the grease I'd need to find a more rewarding job, a more desirable neighborhood, some additional leisure opportunities, etc.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was one materialistic SOB...Nothing was ever enough, not even cowbell. I came to the point that I just want to to be happy with what I have...and that doesn't mean that I don't increase...my life just doesn't revolve around yearning. The freedom, oh the freedom!:)

My life is great. Wife, family, friends, I've been blessed with the best of all. I just wish my wife had the health to enjoy it. That really is the most valuable thing you can have.

This. I'm fortunate in being (reasonably) healthy, happily in love, new experiences on the horizon, enjoying watching my daughter mature, etc. Basically I've got it great. Of course I wouldn't say no to some extra moolah and the opportunities it would bring, but that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. B|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)