CSpenceFLY

Looking for a psycological term...

Is there a psychological term for someone who would defend a group or club against someone bringing up an issue/problem rather than admit there is an issue/problem and try to deal with it.

My first thought is that I'm not going to brand someone with a derogatory label unless I know more about the facts. Perhaps what you deem to be "an issue" is not seen so by him. And just because there is a difference of opinion, doesn't mean the other guy has some psychological problem. I'm not joining a lynch mob unless I know for sure that it's deserved.

So why don't you tell us more about this "issue" that you're concerned about. Describe the nature of it.

Spoken like a politician.

First, it's not that serious of a thread. I'm not trying to have someone commited.

Second, It's pattern of behavior among a group that I use to associate with, it's not one issue and it's not one person. It's a big enough issue that the group has split twice in a year and a half.

Third, if you don't want to play...don't

It's pattern of behavior among a group that I use to associate with, it's not one issue and it's not one person. It's a big enough issue that the group has split twice in a year and a half.

Then at least on an analytical level it's a classic case of what I discussed up-thread. Look at, for example, how religious denominations sometimes split into sub-groups over this kind of dynamic. In countries outside of the US where multiple (i.e., not just 2) contending parties are the norm, parties often split into competing wings over just such tensions.

Will "GroupThink" work?

I think groupthink does come pretty close; and I do think it's a form of pack mentality.

One thing the Wiki article on GroupThink didn't emphasize, which is also at play in the OP's scenario, is the group's tendency to very publicly and aggressively attack, marginalize and ostracize members of the group....

Shah will be happy to know that there's a label for you guys.

Oh...for the "more serious minded".....
:D:P;):):$:(:P
I think that should cover it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Is there a psychological term for someone who would defend a group or club against someone bringing up an issue/problem rather than admit there is an issue/problem and try to deal with it.

My first thought was human nature. :D (jk)

I don't think this falls within pack mentality

It's called idiocrity.

That's when a group will only rise to mediocrity because idiots are running it.
My photos

My Videos

My first thought was human nature. :D (jk)

I don't think this falls within pack mentality

Kill The Messenger syndrome.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?