CSpenceFLY

Looking for a psycological term...

Is there a psychological term for someone who would defend a group or club against someone bringing up an issue/problem rather than admit there is an issue/problem and try to deal with it.

My first thought was human nature. :D (jk)

I don't think this falls within pack mentality

Is there a psychological term for someone who would defend a group or club against someone bringing up an issue/problem rather than admit there is an issue/problem and try to deal with it.

Do we REALLLLY want to ask those kind of questions here at the Animal Farm??:ph34r:

Status Quo . . ism?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

You've got me thinking..... "Denial" and "status quo" were the first two terms that came to my mind, but those have already been mentioned. I think in psychological terms, it might have to do with something along the lines of denial and/or fear of change or fear of confrontation, but I don't know a clinical term for that.

So.... What is the situation? :P

defense mechanism Automatic psychological process that protects the individual against anxiety and from awareness of internal or external stressors or dangers. Defense mechanisms mediate the individual's reaction to emotional conflicts and to external stressors. Some defense mechanisms (e.g., projection, splitting, and acting out) are almost invariably maladaptive. Others, such as suppression and denial, may be either maladaptive or adaptive, depending on their severity, their inflexibility, and the context in which they occur.

denial A defense mechanism where certain information is not accessed by the conscious mind. Denial is related to repression, a similar defense mechanism, but denial is more pronounced or intense. Denial involves some impairment of reality. Denial would be operating (as an example) if a cardiac patient who has been warned about the potential fatal outcome of engaging in heavy work, decides to start building a wall of heavy stones.

reaction formation A defense mechanism, operating unconsciously, in which a person adopts affects, ideas, and behaviors that are the opposites of impulses harbored either consciously or unconsciously. For example, excessive moral zeal may be a reaction to strong but repressed asocial impulses.

apperception Perception as modified and enhanced by one's own emotions, memories, and biases.

intellectualization A mental mechanism in which the person engages in excessive abstract thinking to avoid confrontation with conflicts or disturbing feelings.

The common thread seems to be avoidance of something unpleasant.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Religious? :P

Whoops - straight to Speakers Corner for me, no passing Go....
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Will "GroupThink" work?

I think groupthink does come pretty close; and I do think it's a form of pack mentality.

One thing the Wiki article on GroupThink didn't emphasize, which is also at play in the OP's scenario, is the group's tendency to very publicly and aggressively attack, marginalize and ostracize members of the group who dissent, in part as a means of deterring others from dissenting for fear of punishment by the group. Look at how certain ethnic groups or many religions (especially the religions' conservative wings) often try to marginalize their dissenting members by referring to them as "self-hating", etc. Nations do the same thing, with members of the controlling group referring to dissenting members as traitors, and even prosecuting them for treason or defamation of the state.

Will "GroupThink" work?

I think this has it for the group while Natalys apperception may address the individual behavior.

There is one more layer to this and that is the people who will discuss issues with you privately but refuse to speak out in a grop setting or public forum. I can understand not wanting to speak in front of a group because many don't like that but I can't understand not being able to express ones self in writing.

My first thought is that I'm not going to brand someone with a derogatory label unless I know more about the facts. Perhaps what you deem to be "an issue" is not seen so by him. And just because there is a difference of opinion, doesn't mean the other guy has some psychological problem. I'm not joining a lynch mob unless I know for sure that it's deserved.

So why don't you tell us more about this "issue" that you're concerned about. Describe the nature of it.