JohnMitchell

This weekend's jumpstories. . . post yours.

Mine was an AFF level I that Dennis and I took up. Guy's name was Hans, mid to late 40's, did a good job, pulled okay. Kept saying he had done some tandems years ago down in Elsinore. Seemed pretty interested in how the Sigmas worked.

Turned out Hans had over 850 jumps, 300 of them tandems in Elsinore (3 on the front as passenger) but hadn't jumped since 1996. :D I guess that was an easy Level I for us. After I found out that I flipped him off and asked "Well, how did we do as instructors?"

He had never done AFF or gotten the rating, so he figured it was a good way to get recurrent. :)
BTW, Hey Rachel, who also did a level I, it was a blast jumping with you. Hope to see you and Heather out there again. B|

Had a blast organizing for some of the new kids down at zhills. I love working with the newer jumpers. They all have such a great attitude!

Then I got to ride front for a buddy of mine getting his Strong rating. So much fun f*cking with him :P Gotta put them through their passes before they get a real passenger right? :ph34r::ph34r:

firs, errrr.........second, time ive ever experienced an ASSCRACKER of an opening.............sniveled for about half a second and opened instantly........

sabre1 150. it hurt, and i saw stars, so I IMMEDIATELY dropped it off with my rigger to have a pocket installed on the slider.........problem solved
gravity brings me down.........

About a hundred jumps ago I had a not so great landing across the tarmac, and dragged one of my tennis shoes. Burnt almost all the way through the laces, and lost a few chunks off the top of the shoe. I could still knot the laces to keep it on my feet, and with booties it's no problem.

Every hop and pop I've done this summer in just tennis shoes I've been a bit nervous, since it was fairly loose, but haven't had any problems so far. Sure enough I jumped on Saturday, pulled, and my feet swang way up by my head and the shoe came off.

Rather surreal, watching my shoe float lazily on by...

And there was also the 21 point 2-way from 9K, which was amazing! But then we decided we should be trying something more complicated since that's way too many points :)

Excellent weekend.

Didn't make it up there this weekend, but I had an interesting one last weekend. We were doing 4-way scrambles and since winds were light out of the north, we'd been landing north all day. On the last jump of the day, the winds shifted and the pattern changed so we were all landing south.

Landing to the south at SkyDance means you're doing your base leg over the trees that separate the dropzone from the gun club. Well, there are some hawks that consider those trees their territory, and they're not at all shy about defending it from the invading hordes of canopies. For some reason, the aggressive hawk decided it was my turn.

Fortunately, the hawk just chased after my pilot chute on base & final and did one dive & dock on my topskin, and I was able to land safely (since it was above and behind me, I wasn't even aware of it till I came down and my friends who had been watching our dance were telling me all about it.) Got into the packing area and did a thorough check of my canopy and found no damage from the hawk dock.

We've had hawks before that have done damage to canopies (fortunately, no injuries caused by that damage, but some expensive repairs). There was a hawk a few years back that decided to go for a camera helmet and scratched up its owner pretty good in the process. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Rather surreal, watching my shoe float lazily on by...

:D:D I've lost two shoes in freefall. I'm sure they're next to the freeway, cars zoomin' by . . . :D

I lost a shoe in freefall, and I was quite happy to lose it because it was horseshoe mal with the bridle wrapped around the shoe.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There was a hawk a few years back that decided to go for a camera helmet and scratched up its owner pretty good in the process. B|

A friend was sitting in his treestand one morning, (deer hunting), when a hawk snatched the wool hat off his head. He was thankful he had something easily-removable on his head.:S I still laugh at the though of that hawk picking through his prey trying to find the meat.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Weather sucked this weekend in CT. We got 7 tandems off the ground before it was unsuitable for tandems, of which I jumped two.

I played dope on a rope, or more accurately dope with another dope holding his pilot chute, for a friend who was working on his IAD rating.

I jumped the student rig with the Pilot 188 for that, which was amusing after only having jumped tandems and my 104 for the past few hundred jumps.

Toggle pressure was bizzare but I reminded me of why I loved the Pilots for so many of my earlier jumps. I even got it to swoop a bit, but I don't think I would make a habit of that, the turn altitude was ass puckering low! :D

I do think I might get a pilot 140 or 150 to put in my spare rig, it would be real nice the have a lightly loaded rig for RW, camera, fun stuff where the 104 is less appropriate. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Coached a 4way team all weekend. Sat was a competition, 2nd one this year.

The first comp, they were 6 points behind the team that won Advanced last year... This comp they ended one point behind them.

Feels good to coach a team and see that kind of improvement. MUCH more difficult to coach a team to higher performance than to jump to higher performance IMO.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I had my first cutaway this Friday... Hop-n-Pop... then chop. Jump #32
((Yes, lots of beer to be had... only the free bag is missing, I kept the handles))

Oh, aside from that... I did a lot of new things! 3-ways, 8-way track dive.... just one crazy weekend for little newbie me!!! I loved it!
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

ummm...I think you put your helmet on backwards.
:P

Nice jump brother!

I think you may be RIGHT! :o

I turned it around~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKPoaNTMsg&feature=youtu.be

Is THAT any better?? :$:):P

Whoa, bitch...you totally dropped the pins after deploying the smoke...I'm calling the FAA

Was an emergency, shit just started smoking!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Had a blast organizing for some of the new kids down at zhills. I love working with the newer jumpers. They all have such a great attitude!

Then I got to ride front for a buddy of mine getting his Strong rating. So much fun f*cking with him :P Gotta put them through their passes before they get a real passenger right? :ph34r::ph34r:

Thanks for the organizing (and all the free tips...)!

Also did my first pull out the door at altitude with a group of 5 other people. 20 minutes of pure bliss.

I lost a shoe in freefall, and I was quite happy to lose it because it was horseshoe mal with the bridle wrapped around the shoe.:S

How the heck did that happen?

I was practicing backloops, frontloops, and barrelrolls, and in the middle of this, the container decided to open.