NickDG

New Mars Rover Test Right Now . . .

god who's responsibility is it to pack those parachutes?
wow talk about pressure hu?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

god who's responsibility is it to pack those parachutes?
wow talk about pressure hu?

Well, its not Curiosity's parachute, but I'd guess its something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsJOTyWBGnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3lZqSOl0JY

Testing Curiosity's parachute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7vf2HUMMdo&playnext=1&list=PL676CB59E03B96074&feature=results_main

"7 minutes of terror", not sure who's terrified other than the project manager since it's robotic...

My guess is there are somewhere between 100 and 1000 jobs on the line.

If I was any of those people, I'd be scared shitless since this planet doesn't have a great track record of landing things on that one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"7 minutes of terror", not sure who's terrified other than the project manager since it's robotic...

My guess is there are somewhere between 100 and 1000 jobs on the line.

If I was any of those people, I'd be scared shitless since this planet doesn't have a great track record of landing things on that one.

So you get "scared shitless" just thinking about something happening somewhere else? By a robot? Excitement yes, concern yes, but "terror"? Nope.

Anyway, I don't get that either. I mean, NASA put the Viking landers on MARS back in the 70s with the best late 60s, early 70s technology of the time and those things were pretty big. So, what I don't get is why their newer systems seem to be getting more and more complicated.

The Viking landers used rockets to lower themselves all the way to the surface which causes loads of disruption to the surrounding dust which will damage the sensors on Curiosity. Vikings also had legs whereas the Curiosity probe is on wheels/would require a lander with a ramp, which in itself can be problematic, to be lowered with rockets.

It is also a test of this deployment/landing method. If this works it will be capable of lowering heavier things to the surface.

Anyway, I don't get that either. I mean, NASA put the Viking landers on MARS back in the 70s with the best late 60s, early 70s technology of the time and those things were pretty big. So, what I don't get is why their newer systems seem to be getting more and more complicated.

The Viking landers used rockets to lower themselves all the way to the surface which causes loads of disruption to the surrounding dust which will damage the sensors on Curiosity. Vikings also had legs whereas the Curiosity probe is on wheels/would require a lander with a ramp, which in itself can be problematic, to be lowered with rockets.

It is also a test of this deployment/landing method. If this works it will be capable of lowering heavier things to the surface.

So you just beef it up with some monster truck suspension and dirive out of the disturbance area after landing, oh, and some really good dust covers and a bunch of canned, Martian air, to blow the dust off after landing!

;)

:P

:D

Posted this in the other thread about Curiosity (sorry about not searching before starting a new one... :$)

Hey, I thought I read somewhere that the SciFi channel was going to be broadcasting the landing live from NASA. Apparently, I both misread and grossly overestimated the SciFi channel.

I found where it will be simulcast online:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/

But I'm at work for 24 hours so if we go on a call I'll miss it. Does anyone know of it being broadcast on TV? That way I can DVR it, just in case.

Thanks!

Elvisio "Star Runners? Really, SciFi? WTF is that?" Rodriguez