gonzalesna

Did I make my buddy rich?

I'll shoot it to you tomorrow. :)

You're just being mysterious.

Keeping us hanging on: Will you die of radiation poisoning? Become Mad as a Hatter? Or something as mundane as having found a pocket of fools gold?

Tune in tomorrow..... Same time, same channel :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

For the record, although, most already are well aware, I'm already far beyond "mad as a hatter":)

You might consider a viewing of this as a warning how how not to handle the situation: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/
:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Listen to the mining engineer...

Gonzo sent the following attachments and narrative:

Pic 1 is not a rock but more like a dirt clod. Tape measure for reference

Pic 2 is after a quick wash to remove some dirt
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's hard to tell anything from the pics.. Do I need new glasses, or are they a bit blurry? ;)

In pic 2, is the mineral in question that lighter color spec that's about 3/4" in the middle?

If it's the mini specs all over in that photo instead, it doesn't look like mica (tho it might me pulverized mica and we cant see with the blur).

To me, the "clod" comment is what sticks in my mind... Again, if it's in deed metallic, and it was found in soil, it's probably man-made pollution.

Remster

very tough to see what it is. Are you asking about the little little pieces on the 2nd picture and not the clob in the middle of the shot?

I should be going on a drilling rig in 2 weeks to core a well and it will most likely have cutting of mica and I could take a picture of that to see if it looks anything like you are looking at, if it is that important to you

if it is that important to you

Yes, it's vital that... Wait a minute. No, actually, I don't really care! ;-)

If he makes 6 posts in a thread he doesn't care about, just imagine how many posts he makes when he *does* care!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Can you dissolve the dirt out with water and concentrate the flakes? If you can get the flakes isolated you can do some testing. You could establish density, which would go a long ways towards figuring it out. Also, certain metals have simple tests like magnesium reacts with vinegar... You could also see if it is conductive, might eliminate some possibles.

Just some ideas...

Sorry about the crappy pics, but I have a crappy old-style flippy phone that doesn't like close up shots much. No, I don't want a new phone... I like my cheap POS, thank you very much.:P

Remi: The stuff in question is the tiny shiny flakes that look like glitter. It's ALL glitter sized and smaller flakes. Nothing is of substance, but I only pulled out a few scoopfulls. The hole was already filled in, as he wasn't suspecting anything of value and he wants to get this barn done, so all I have to work with is the few scoops I've got. Although imagine his surprise if I get it tested and it turns out to be something actually worth something.

Not really sure how to concentrate it completely. It is heavier than most of the dirt, and I'm able to wash it some, but tough to fine tune with a shovel and I don't have a miner's pan to work with. Some of the heavier stuff like sand is tough to separate from it.

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Can you dissolve the dirt out with water and concentrate the flakes? If you can get the flakes isolated you can do some testing. You could establish density, which would go a long ways towards figuring it out. Also, certain metals have simple tests like magnesium reacts with vinegar... You could also see if it is conductive, might eliminate some possibles. .

Sounds too much like science. I think it was put there by omnipotent intelligent design.

Get a large, tall beer glass or something. Put some of the sample in the bottom, add water about half way, shake vigorously and place under faucet. Add water and let the dirty water run off the top, the flakes should stay at the bottom. do this until you have just flakes and sand. Let dry, and at this point you will probably need to screen it.
I thought of another way you can test it... get a very hot flame, like blowtorch or the like, and use some steel tweesers to insert a flake into the flame. The color it burns will tell you a lot. (Or if it doesn't burn this will also tell you a lot)