gonzalesna

Did I make my buddy rich?

I was diggin' a hole to put a support post in and when I got just below 32 inches, As I dug down, the soil went from red dirt and clay to rock to very very dark soil mixed with a very shiny silver metal looking substance. The silvery substance, when I rubbed it between the fingers of my gloves, it was very very soft and it seemed to make a thin layer and spread, almost like a paste would.

I'm currently located about 70 miles west of Charlotte (as the crow flies) in the foothills of North Carolina.

DZ.com rock-ologists, did I just make my buddy rich or did I just find him a worthless metal mine? Again, it's very shiny, in pinhead sized flakes and extremely soft metal.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

You wore gloves? Good, because it sounds like mercury (or sodium, but since you didnt lose your finger in the explosion, it's probably not it).

What you may have found is that your buddy lives on top of a industrial waste pile.
Remster

Doubtful about the industrial waste pile. Not much industry anywhere near here and the barn I'm helping to restore was built back in the 1920's or so. Doubt it was sodium since it's only about 36 inches down or so... I figure it would've popped long ago due to the quantity of rain they've had out here.

It's not liquid, so I didn't suspect mercury. It's very soft though.

The soil that is dark in color is riddled with the flakes. There's a lot of Granite in the area.

Could it be lead?
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

After a touch of research, it can't be sodium, since sodium is found as a compound due to it's reactive properties. It's usually derrived from molten Table salt (Sodium Chloride) through the use of electrolosis, which creates chlorine gas as a by-product.

After a touch of research, it can't be sodium, since sodium is found as a compound due to it's reactive properties.

Exactly. Sodium is so reactive you would never find metallic sodium in that environment. :)

Hence my joke about the explosive fingers.. Geeze, you guys are slow!

But don't listen to the mining engineer... wtf does he know... :P
Remster

Dude. Stop playing with the -toxic- mercury.

Like it's going to make any difference.

The damage is already done. :P

Soooooo, I shouldn't be using it as war paint then? I are... I mean were Marine.:D

Looked up mercury and it's found in rock form, frequently red in color.

Turns out it's a lot easier to determine what it's not, than what it is.:D

ETA, doesn't mean it's not mercury, just means it doesn't match the pictures google has. Wait, that must mean it's not mercury, since google knows everything.:D

Does it look anything like this?

If so, bury it again and don't post any more - or the men in black may be turning up with their flashy things.

Ummmm... It doesn't not look like that... I'll be back in about 30 minutes...:o

Look up "mica" and see if that's it. The flakes can look just like silver. It's made me look twice laying in the sand at the edge of a river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica

I don't know if mercury occurs in liquid form in nature. It's usually made by processing cinnabar (mercury ore), which occurs as red crystals, usually embedded in quartz. You grind it up, heat it, let the vapors condense, and you get mercury.

It does look a lot like glitter. I blame LisaH.:D

Flakes are very small. Doesn't resemble the wiki pictures and research on other sites say it's most often found in sheets or veins. Guess I'd have to have a sample sent in to determine it. The stuff I've found best resembles silver glitter. I kept a sample just in case he wants to have a sample tested. Right now, he just wants the barn back up and usable, so we've concreted the hole in. If the test comes back as something valuable, I'm sure he'll tear the barn down, mine it out, and use the money to make a bigger, better barn.

As for me, now I just wanna know what it is. Damn you, curiosity!!!>:(

As soon as I posted my last... uh... post, I read later on that scrap mica is very common around this area. So, it's local, it doesn't have magnetic properties, it's shiny (ooooh! shiny!), flaky, and as far as I'm concerned, i think we have a winner. the test will tell. From what I've read, they use it a lot in electronics. Not sure if there's any value in what he's got or not.

Flakes are very small. Doesn't resemble the wiki pictures and research on other sites say it's most often found in sheets or veins.

Yes, it is often found that way. It comes in sheets of many very thin layers. In the old days sheets of mica were sometimes used for window "glass". But when it breaks down, it crumbles into small shiny flakes.

Too small to scratch. The flakes are all the size of glitter. I don't have a camera except the one on my phone, but I don't have inter-webs to my phone, so all I could do is text it to someone for them to post on here.