wildcard451

Curiousity Touchdown Confirmed!

That's one small descent for a robot.
One giant leap for our future robot overlords.

Holy F! If there is one thing the US is now the absolute leader in the known universe, it's robots.

That was amazing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Amazing!!!!!:)
Now we get to listen to the same peeps thats said the moon landing never happened and the pics were shot in a warehouse.:S

R

Naw...The new controversy will be when they find evidences of life. That's what this is all about., but it will change nothing, unfortunately...for both sides.

*exits stage right shaking head, growing weary...*
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Amazing!!!!!:)
Now we get to listen to the same peeps thats said the moon landing never happened and the pics were shot in a warehouse.:S

R

Naw...The new controversy will be when they find evidences of life. That's what this is all about., but it will change nothing, unfortunately...for both sides.

*exits stage right shaking head, growing weary...*

Yeah, that's what this is all about, ammunition for the creation 'debate':S

Get over yourself.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You're looking at one of the most awesome things humans ahve ever achieved for the pure spirit of discovery and all you're thinking about is being bored of the potential reaction to potential findings by some rabble rousing dickheads who aren't even involved.

Any new knowledge that comes from this mission will be incredible, whatever it is, because just getting that giant there in the first place is so unbelieveably fucking amazing. So just enjoy it.

all you're thinking about is being bored of the potential reaction to potential findings

No...not at all. I was responding to the realistic controversy this will cause, and it won't be about curiosity actually landing on mars.

Do you really think The SC is going to be discussing the scientific advantages of these potential findings? Get real...

Do you really think The SC is going to be discussing...

I don't care what they'll be discussing.

It has absolutely no impact on the fact that what's happening is totally amazing:)

Interesting thought, wonder if the CG change after unloading the rover would be too large to trim for. Cool idea, that way Val Kilmer wouldn't have to interpret Russian cartoons to get back in orbit in the future!! :-)

Pretty good explosion from the skycrane!

Wonder if they could have soft-landed it?

Pretty good explosion from the skycrane!

Wonder if they could have soft-landed it?

I thought the same thing at some point.

Maybe they could have put a camera and a sensor or two on the top of the thing along with a short range transmitter to communicate back to earth via the Curiosity rover of one or the satellites in orbit.

That way, it maybe could have kept an eye on Curiosity as it roved around.

But I'm sure this would have added more complexity, weight, risk, cost, etc. that it wasn't worth the (any) benifit.

Plus, as of yet, the EPA isn't up NASA's butt for littering Mars! :D Imagine if they passed a rule that made Curiosity go clean up all its trash, recycle and sweep up after itself when its mission was done!?? :P

Another thing that I thought would have been cool would be if they had sent a second (smaller) rover up ahead of time to Curiosity's DZ to be set-up ahead of time to film Curiosity's landing from the surface. Now that would have been cool to have outside-in video of that whole skycrane landing maneuver!

Do you really think The SC is going to be discussing...

I don't care what they'll be discussing.

It has absolutely no impact on the fact that what's happening is totally amazing:)

Agreed...As I said, I was responding to a post about the controversy this might cause...I was just being more realistic. Funny how you let your personal problems with me blind you from that.

>Another thing that I thought would have been cool would be if they had sent a second
>(smaller) rover up ahead of time to Curiosity's DZ to be set-up ahead of time to film
>Curiosity's landing from the surface. Now that would have been cool to have outside-in
>video of that whole skycrane landing maneuver!

They wouldn't have to send a separate vehicle for that. They'd just have to land Curiosity near Opportunity. (Or land the next one near Curiosity etc)

>Another thing that I thought would have been cool would be if they had sent a second
>(smaller) rover up ahead of time to Curiosity's DZ to be set-up ahead of time to film
>Curiosity's landing from the surface. Now that would have been cool to have outside-in
>video of that whole skycrane landing maneuver!

They wouldn't have to send a separate vehicle for that. They'd just have to land Curiosity near Opportunity. (Or land the next one near Curiosity etc)

True, but if filming the landing of Curiosity was a primary driver, then the choice of the landing site would have been driven by where Opportunity was and not where it would be "best" to land Curiosity.

Anyway, its a moot point. ;)

Anyway, anyway, looking at the photos of the skycrane crash site... looks like NASA successfully landed Curiosity AND cratered Mars... again.

Win - err - Win... :D

When humans eventually get to Mars, I wonder if such landing sites will be seen of value worthy of historic preservation or just picked over for souviners?