likestojump

Home NAS info - anyone got some suggestoins ?

I need to upgrade my home storage.

Current setup is a BuffaloNAS Linkstation setup as RAID1 (mirror) w/ 2x 500GB drive that's almost out of space and the web interface sucks

Here's what I must have :
* At least two bays (RAID1), but would prefer 4
* 1GB Ethernet
* At least 1 USB port
* Good web interface

here's the extra's I would really like to have :
* ability to backup and do daily/weekly syncs to some kind of cloud service
* ability to get status updates via email from the NAS device

here's what I don't care about :
* print server

So, does anyone have experience with what's currently out there ? I would love some viable suggestions.

I had a DNS-323 for a while, served me well and no huge issues with it for just a file server. It would usually send me emails if the status changed or something like that. Started running into problems where one drive would stop registering in the bay (which turns out is a common issue with the NAS).

So... I built one. Granted I have quite a background in computer building and IT stuff, but it was a pretty simple install. I had the drives for it already (2x2TB and 1x32gb SSD) so the rest of the kit cost $136.74 (that's a motherboard and chassis).

I installed Ubuntu server on it and Webmin to control it. It's not the easiest interface (PM me if you want to take a look at mine) but once you get where everything is, it's very easy to work with.

I also have Plex media server, which serves media (movies, music, pictures) to my iPhone (anywhere I have internet) and media center, Apache web server which hosts my home page and whenever I need to transfer large files to people, I put them up on there and they can download them.

The great points about this set up:
  • Pretty cheap

• Great performance

• Very flexible/adaptable

• Great support base

• Downsides:
  • Learning curve in using the command line for configuration/maintenance

• Linux permissions can be confusing at first

• More power consumption

• "I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
    DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
    I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Any NAS by Synology is a good buy.

that said, I just switched to a micro server and couldn't be happier. I bought a HP ProLiant Microserver N40L. I put in the discs from my synology and sitecom nas and sold those 2 nasses. I still have a 4bay iomega nas but I find I now use my homeserver for everything.

I remote desktop to it from everywhere, use it as a backup and download server, and use it to practice a bit for work (I installed windows server 2008 r2 on it).

I stuck in an extra 2gb RAM from my pc, you do not need to buy server RAM.

This homeserver was cheaper than my iomega nas and is much more versatile :)

ciel bleu,
    Saskia

Thanks for the info guys.

I would really like to avoid running a microserver, or any kind of Win/*nix box with shared drives :(

not scared of command line or technical docs, just dislike non-GUI non-userfriendly packagers - they always seem to require constant upkeep :(

tnx

Thanks for the info guys.

I would really like to avoid running a microserver, or any kind of Win/*nix box with shared drives :(

not scared of command line or technical docs, just dislike non-GUI non-userfriendly packagers - they always seem to require constant upkeep :(

tnx

Actually, there's a module that I am running (the Webmin) that gives it a pretty decent GUI for headless use. As far as upkeep goes, I have it set to automatically download updates and email me the update results daily.

Whenever there are updates, at 9:52 pm I get an email saying which ones were installed and if any failed. B|

BTW, that BuffaloNAS is probably running a Linux flavor. :P
    "I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

the BuffaloNAS is running a Linux w/ XFS, however unless I telnet in with root credentials, as an end user I only get to use their GUI.

I was implying that I do not want a fully blown PC with an OS running with another NAS client on top of it, that's all...

my biggest reason for wanting to upgrade is to to automatic cloud backups, but having researched a few it seems like they may be a bit costly....

A cloud backup for a 2tb drive would probably run you a pretty penny. [:/]

The point I was trying to make is that if you go the route of the dedicated pre-built NAS, you're probably going to hit a wall eventually in its flexibility. Most were designed to offer simple file sharing and maybe a torrent client or something like that.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly