piisfish

one of the coolest vehicles ever.

Thank you DARPA
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/u-military-crawler-prototype-drives-water-land-everything-211658115.html

The Captive Air Amphibious Transporter, or CAAT, runs on an old principle that the U.S. Army has been testing since the early 1960s. By combining a tank trend with low-pressure air bags, the CAAT can spread its weight over a massive area while using air pressure to stay afloat in aquatic territory.

:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thank you DARPA
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/u-military-crawler-prototype-drives-water-land-everything-211658115.html

The Captive Air Amphibious Transporter, or CAAT, runs on an old principle that the U.S. Army has been testing since the early 1960s. By combining a tank trend with low-pressure air bags, the CAAT can spread its weight over a massive area while using air pressure to stay afloat in aquatic territory.

How is this better than air cushion vehicles that have existed for decades? I've crossed the English Channel on a hovercraft, and driven the US Navy's LCAC simulator.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm Jesus and I approve this vehicle.:)

;)
Adn to think Moses did it the hard way! that dork!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

How is this better than air cushion vehicles that have existed for decades? I've crossed the English Channel on a hovercraft, and driven the US Navy's LCAC simulator.

Good question, Doc.

Perhaps the power or maintenance requirements are lower or it can handle steeper inclines. Maybe initial costs might be less. You know every vehicle is a compromise of many, many factors.

I will say that it's a funky cool ride, but a hovercraft is dead sexier in comparison. B|

THe knock on hover craft is always been, they can't side hill. They are also really and not economical. Takes a lot of fuel to move them so this limits their carrying ablity. And they kind of suck in rough water. Personally I think they are a blast.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

THe knock on hover craft is always been, they can't side hill. They are also really and not economical. Takes a lot of fuel to move them so this limits their carrying ablity. And they kind of suck in rough water. Personally I think they are a blast.

There ya go, the Princess of ATV's. Sometimes dead sexy just ain't practical. :)

I hope it has better success than the first attempt in WWII.
The Duplex Drive was pretty good...not so much on the flotation...
[:/]

Donald Ducks

:D:D:D

Cool! I never heard of that before.B|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Thank you DARPA

It's DARPA.

For every success story, there's hundreds of very silly and obviously ridiculous creations that don't pass practicality sniff tests or common sense.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I hope it has better success than the first attempt in WWII.
The Duplex Drive was pretty good...not so much on the flotation...
[:/]

Donald Ducks

:D:D:D

Cool! I never heard of that before.B|

There's a bunch of 'em underwater around Normandy...seems they did better in a calm lake that an ocean.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Omaha was painful on most of them, Juno not so much.
I do recall seeing some clips of them crossing the Rhine too.

At the end of that clip is the Remagen 'Cross the Rhine with dry feet courtesy of the 9th Armored Div.'

That was my Dad's outfit, in fact he was one of the 1st across in a recon jeep.
Don't know about elsewhere but the floaty tanks weren't used there.

They used the railroad bridge until it collapsed then the pontoon bridge next to it.

We saw a display of the floaty tank when I was a kid touring Ft. Knox, Dad said ya know what they called the those? ARMY Submarines!

Had the same skirt idea on deuce and a half's, worked a lot better that the tanker edition.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~