shah269

Engineer Vs. Warranty

Engineer Vs. Warranty

True story.

Engineer's girl friend buys a nice second hand VW with a nice Warranty .

After a week the things battery dies. Girl calls engineer. Engineer comes over examines the car and tells GF to buy new battery from auto parts store. Girl asks if she should call dealer but engineer boasts about "I know things!"
Girl goes out and buys new battery. Car runs.

A week later battery dies again. Engineer comes over jumpstarts the car and takes it over to advanced auto and they say the alternator is on its last leg. Girl asks if she should call the dealer and have them fix it. Engineer boasts "I know these things!" tells her that if she buys alternator he will install it!

New alternator bought. A week later the car is again dead. Engineer comes over jumps the car and this time the girl says "Shut the hell up engineer I'm taking this car to the dealer and you are coming with me!"

Engineer was about to say "I know things!" when the girl tells him to shut up.

Engineer and girl go to dealer. Mechanic steps out and says "Yeah the car is fixed we just installed a new VW alternator on there. But why was there an aftermarket non VW alternator on there? And a new battery? The car just left here a few weeks back and I checked that car and it had VW parts on there."

Engineer boasts "I know these things! I installed the alternator!"

Mechanic "Well I guess you know that means you voided your Warranty ."

Engineer looks shocked, girl wants to dismember the engineer and use his severed head as a piss pot!

Noting a pending dismemberment the mechanic politely states that he will look the other way but that he the engineer is never allowed to touch that car!

So don't void your warrantee and cost you money...don't let an engineer tell you "I know these things!"

*funny how spell check missed that one! Made the Spelling dorks get all angry and stuff!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I can't stand it.
I can't make it past the first sentence.
It's "warranty".
:|

Nor does such action void a warranty.
:S

I hereby apologize to my fellow dizziedotcommers.
I am truly sorry for replying.
I hereby promise to punish myself repeatedly tonight.
Well to be honest...my liver shall be punished anyway.

that depends entirely on how the warranty is written. Quite a few I've seen for CPO vehicles include statements that all maintenance (apart from oil changes) be conducted at the dealership.

I'm an Engineer, and I do know things, like not to touch hardware under warranty without reading the terms and conditions before hand.

I hereby apologize to my fellow dizziedotcommers.
I am truly sorry for replying.
I hereby promise to punish myself repeatedly tonight.
Well to be honest...my liver shall be punished anyway.

We expect Skymama to administer an appropriate spanking tonight.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I can only hope.

anywho...the FTC says:

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

I can only hope.

anywho...the FTC says:

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

Which may cover the battery but not a 3rd party alternator as the dealer cant guarantee part compatibility or installation standards either of which has the potential to fry the entire electrical system.

Which may cover the battery but not a 3rd party alternator as the dealer cant guarantee part compatibility or installation standards either of which has the potential to fry the entire electrical system.

BINGO!

If you are under Warranty and a component shits the bed....sit your ass down and let the guys who know what they are doing fix the shit!
NOT HARD!

Well unless you are an engineer and well....you know what you are doing!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

It's ok buddy!
Wait you did this?
Why! I mean why would you ever do that!
You paid for a good and service but think you can do a better job? If so why pay for the good or service in the first place?

oh most dealerships will honor their warranty when it doesn't really cost them anything (they'd have had to replace the failed alternator anyway) and they'd rather not lose the customer when the materials and labor is a wash, but if/when that 3rd party repair causes additional damage? Expect some push back about not following the terms and conditions.

That's why I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 135I.
The warranty thus far has been very nice to me!
Something goes south and well it's their problem not mine!

I have no idea what my friend was thinking when he decided to "fix" his GF's car! I'm amazed she didn't kill him!

After dealing with Chrysler over Jeep issues and the shit they call replacement parts, I'll stick with my results to date.

Just because a dealer will replace some for free EVERY god damn time it fails, doesn't mean I want it in my car. Some of their designs are cheap shit that do nothing except guarantee a revenue stream. I prefer to buy a part that won't break the next time around.

just search for Chrysler rear electric window fixes....there are a few companies out there that make a FAR superior product that will not fail anywhere NEAR the numbers the service department sees at Chrysler. Why not? It's a $50 part, they sell it for almost $200 and charge $300 in labor.
Oh sorry "warranty"..... :P

That's why I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 135I.
The warranty thus far has been very nice to me!
Something goes south and well it's their problem not mine!

I prefer to buy cars that don't need multiple repairs within the first year of ownership.

- Dan G

I prefer to buy cars that don't need multiple repairs within the first year of ownership.

So far it's just been tune up oil change and oh yeah the GPS wanted to KILL ME!
So they gave me a decked out 335Xi for those two days...I didn't want to give that car back! :)

and like I said.

I believe that the "warranty" here is actually insurance vs. a type of guarantee therefore allowing the dealership to deny payout. Most extended warranties are just insurance plans.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes! I'm glad I have it!
My GPS for my CPO car had an issue from the factory. By the time I got it it was causing major falts with the CPU. Sure I could have tried to fix it....but why? I had paid for a good and service thus why do it myself?

I can't understand why my friend did this! He is very lucky the guy was nice and not a dick!

Engineer Vs. Warranty

True story.

Engineer buys a laptop with a nice warranty.

The M key breaks its bottom hinge and has a decidedly unpleasant feel.

He thinks for a second about fixing it, notes that his time is still worth over $100/hour which justified buying the nice next-business day on-site warranty service, and puts in a request.

He lets the technician in, sets him down at a spare desk, and is back in business with no effort expended.

I changed my mind about responding to another anti-engineer rant; although not before normiss responded so I'll put it back to provide context. Good engineers use a fact based approach to these sorts of things.

Engineer Vs. Warranty

True story.

Engineer buys a laptop with a nice warranty.

The M key breaks its bottom hinge and has a decidedly unpleasant feel.

He thinks for a second about fixing it, notes that his time is still worth over $100/hour which justified buying the nice next-business day on-site warranty service, and puts in a request.

He lets the technician in, sets him down at a spare desk, and is back in business with no effort expended.