npgraphicdesign

All inclusive scuba certification trips?

Has anyone here done anything like that? I want to take off to some warm islands for two weeks in September or October to get my scuba diving license. Has anyone here done any all-inclusive scuba certification trips, or is there even such a thing?

Also, would love some recommendations for scuba diving destinations. I'm thinking Bahamas, Cozumel, etc...

Go to Belize. A couple folks at the Belize Boogie did their certifications there, and seemed to have good experiences. The great thing about doing it there is that there are dive sites right off shore that you can do your initial training dives in, which is way more fun than the pool. And the diving there is absolutely world class. B| The Belize Boogie was held in the town of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, and there's several dive shops in town that could take care of you.

Personally, I did open water at home (which was Seattle at the time) in preparation for a trip to NZ, then did my Advanced Open Water in New Zealand (the cost was about the same as rentals & charter, and that way I had a divemaster with our small group and got to learn more in the process). But while NZ diving is gorgeous, it definitely does not meet your "warm" criteria. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Where are you?

I'd recommend either getting certified before you go, or doing a "referral" course, where you do most of it at home, including pool work, and the open water part there. That way, you can have more time out on the reefs when you get there.

OTOH, I did some no-cert diving in the Bahamas 25 years ago, where it was 30 minutes in the pool then right out to the reef, and had a blast.

I'd recommend either getting certified before you go, or doing a "referral" course, where you do most of it at home, including pool work, and the open water part there. That way, you can have more time out on the reefs when you get there.

This!
I spent a week in the FL Keys, and because I was getting certified, I spent a huge amount of the time in a damned pool, instead of the ocean. I went snorkeling in the ocean after the class every day, but I only got certified on the last day, then of course the wind & waves came up so we couldn't go out to the reefs.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If memory serves, the PADI cert requires about 4-5 days of classroom...

Cozumel has a good selection of service offerings up to and including full certification. I saw their operation, but didn't delve too deep (I made a pun) :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If memory serves, the PADI cert requires about 4-5 days of classroom...

Cozumel has a good selection pf service offerings up to and including full certification. I saw their operation, but didn't delve too deep (I made a pun) :D

That pun didn't even scratch the surface. :D

Got mine here a couple hundred years ago...
http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/

http://www.akumaldiveadventures.com/

...dive packages-http://www.akumaldiveadventures.com/accommodations_packages.html

http://www.akumaldiveadventures.com/padi_certification.html
Says here: The cost is less than 1/2 a wrecked scion! B|

Very nice place~ Had a WONDERFUL time!

They were filming the movie 'Against All Odds' just down the road at Tulum back then...We've been back several times since for cenote & cave diving.

Got the PADI cert, lots of sightseeing, good food & parties...no crowds & minimum 'investment'.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hawaii (Maui specifically) has a ton of businesses that specialize in getting your PADI Open Water Certification quickly and painlessly. Most of them also take you to some incredible places to dive. I did mine there as part of a job and we got to dive through underwater lava tubes, shipwrecks, and a reef that sticks out of the largest trench in the area.

Hey, Nikita!

The only place I can recommend from experience is Aqaba, Jordan. I went there for two days of diving with some friends -- two of us did our advanced, one did her full open water. The other guy just came along to do some dives. :)
Maybe wait and do it next summer -- you can do the Jordan Boogie during the same trip! ;) I would even go dive with you.

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Hawaii (Maui specifically) has a ton of businesses that specialize in getting your PADI Open Water Certification quickly and painlessly. Most of them also take you to some incredible places to dive. I did mine there as part of a job and we got to dive through underwater lava tubes, shipwrecks, and a reef that sticks out of the largest trench in the area.

I did mine while I was out at Waikiki (for umm, you know... work stuff). Did a couple 'discovery dives' down to about 40' to decide if I liked it. Did a few home study things (which really only took a couple hours) then did my 'confined water' stuff in a beach bay near by... then did a couple more dives, took the test and viola! PADI open water.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hey, Nikita!

The only place I can recommend from experience is Aqaba, Jordan. I went there for two days of diving with some friends -- two of us did our advanced, one did her full open water. The other guy just came along to do some dives. :)
Maybe wait and do it next summer -- you can do the Jordan Boogie during the same trip! ;) I would even go dive with you.

Now THIS is a first class incentive! :);)

I may do the boogie regardless...IF i have a job/money. But the reason why I want to go in October is that I'll be finished (hopefully) with my book by then, it will be at the publisher, and I will want to take a much needed vacation. I want one now...but will wait until the book is signed off. :S

There is a lot of all inclusives offering scuba diving courses, but I don't know any of them that offers courses of very high quality.

The best is to find a nice dive school, and then a nice hotel nearby. Most dive shops will pick you up at the hotel.

Like skydiving scuba diving can be dangerous, and you want to have good instruction that will give you a solid knowledge base to build on.

No matter where you go, I'd recommend you visit scubaboard dot com for recommendations on a dive shop offering quality training.

Also, a couple of things to keep in mind: 2 weeks is a bit short to go to europe or asia, and in the caribbean, october is hurricane season. If you book last minute you can watch the weather forecast and get good prices and perfect weather. But if you book in advance you could end up being in the islands during bad weather.

In Cozumel I'd recommend "Aquatic Sports Cozumel". The owner, Sergio, is a diving legend. He has been diving for over 45 years, has dived with the Cousteau family and knows Cozumel like no one else. His PADI card number is 34, or something like that! I dove with him last winter and it was good diving. There are lots of hotels all over the island. link: http://www.scubacozumel.com/

In the caribbean, I'd recommend http://www.flamingodivers.com/ in Turk and Caicos. It's more expensive, but the level of customer service was better than anywhere I've seen and I recommend them without any hesitation. They only do very small groups and are a very, very professional and friendly company. The diving is also very nice. The island is pretty expensive, but I managed to find a deal at 725$ for plane tickets and hotel for a week. There are some amazing restaurants on the island, but except for the diving,the beach, and exploring by scooter there's not too much to do or that many people. Which is pretty nice if you ask me!

I am in NYC. Doubt I'll be doing any dives in the Hudson. :S

If I go somewhere, it will be about 2 weeks.

Do the PADI eLearning for $120, which will save your vacation time from sitting in a classroom. You'll still have to prove you know your stuff and review with the instructors though. ETA: http://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba-registration/

You're so close to Dutch Springs. www.DutchSprings.com

I bet if you get right on the eLearning and link to a dive shop and call them to tell of your plans, you could be OW certified before you leave NYC for a vacation.

Good luck.
Always be kinder than you feel.

I am in NYC. Doubt I'll be doing any dives in the Hudson. :S

If I go somewhere, it will be about 2 weeks.

Do the PADI eLearning for $120, which will save your vacation time from sitting in a classroom. You'll still have to prove you know your stuff and review with the instructors though. ETA: http://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba-registration/

You're so close to Dutch Springs. www.DutchSprings.com

I bet if you get right on the eLearning and link to a dive shop and call them to tell of your plans, you could be OW certified before you leave NYC for a vacation.

Good luck.

Thanks luv!!

Advice is much appreciated from you and everyone else. Can't wait to do this...

I also would recommend doing the pool and classroom work and exam (I did PADI course) at home before leaving and then all you have left is 4 open water dives. My son and I did this in February in the middle of winter in Saskatchewan and then flew to Maui. We had arranged for our open water dives to be completed in Maui before leaving and two days after arriving had done two great shore dives and two awesome boat dives! Then, we were free to rent gear for shore dives or go on more boat dives...which we did!

This!
I spent a week in the FL Keys, and because I was getting certified, I spent a huge amount of the time in a damned pool, instead of the ocean. I went snorkeling in the ocean after the class every day, but I only got certified on the last day, then of course the wind & waves came up so we couldn't go out to the reefs.>:(

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey