AggieDave

Taking a break

Everyone, thank you for the support. Since most of my gear has since sold and I spent the money on a new camera body I've really wanted (photography is another fairly serious hobby of mine), the pain was lessened slightly.

:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Everyone, thank you for the support. Since most of my gear has since sold and I spent the money on a new camera body I've really wanted (photography is another fairly serious hobby of mine), the pain was lessened slightly.

Thanks for the thread and a peek into your soul. That's a hard decision to make and to follow through with.

So which camera body did you get? :)

Thanks for the thread and a peek into your soul. That's a hard decision to make and to follow through with.

D7000

I thought about getting the D800, but it is hard to justify since I'm not a pro-photog charging people money. Besides, then I would have to get FX glass and get rid of all my DX glass.

http://www.f8industries.net

My gear also upgraded my computer, got some cool accessories, upgraded Photomatix and ordered another SB700 for my setup. All of that made it easier.

If my neck wasn't so jacked up I would look forward to applying all of this to skydiving when I return, but I think my days of freefall video are over. Sold my old Optik and PC105 to buy my first Velocity quite a while back.

Although I think I might need to try to sneak out to a DZ for an afternoon to shoot a bunch of stills and check in on old friends.:)
In the interim I wrote a novel that I'm shopping around and I'm starting to seriously think about writing a "So you want to swoop" book to put on PDF and give away.

At least all of these things I can easily do during nap times and after the kiddos go to bed. My life with this is precious and I'm thankful for it!

The swooping book I'd read! Heck that's how I ended up in this thread, I was reading in the latest Sangi thread in the swooping forum. Anyway, for a GREAT flash, check out these Yongnuo YN-560 II. They are very affordable, but great quality for what you get.

I have and love Nik software. Photomatix is good too though. I like the selective color you have on your site. Here is my own personal fav selective color shot. http://500px.com/photo/2106424

I have and love Nik software. Photomatix is good too though. I like the selective color you have on your site. Here is my own personal fav selective color shot. http://500px.com/photo/2106424

Oh man I love the patina of that canoe! That's great.

I've been giving serious thought to saving my nickels for a photography trip to Detroit in a couple of years, me and a photography buddy to shoot abandoned factories.

There is some stuff in central Texas that I need to get permitted to shoot first, though!

I'm going to give some thought to the swooping book, that would be fun to write and if only one person became a safer canopy pilot it would be worth it!

D7000

I thought about getting the D800, but it is hard to justify since I'm not a pro-photog charging people money. Besides, then I would have to get FX glass and get rid of all my DX glass.

I'd love to hear more on how you like the new camera, once you get more time with it.

It's funny, I was having the new camera debate with my husband between those two cameras ("But honey, if I get the D800 I'll never need to upgrade!" :)).

Oh man I love the patina of that canoe! That's great.

Thanks!

I've been giving serious thought to saving my nickels for a photography trip to Detroit in a couple of years, me and a photography buddy to shoot abandoned factories.

There is some stuff in central Texas that I need to get permitted to shoot first, though!

I'm going to give some thought to the swooping book, that would be fun to write and if only one person became a safer canopy pilot it would be worth it!

If you get a chance to do a work shop, jump at it. Another option is find a local photography club/group in your area. I am a member of one here in the Atlanta area and it's a great resource for learning and getting together with other like minded people to learn and shoot. I've also started a once every two weeks photography club at my office where I work. So far that's been a lot of fun too.

Do you prefer to shoot HDR's only or do you like to do other stuff too?