skydiverbry

Smiles everyone

What did she sign, that she's not getting proper compensation?

I'd be pretty upset if some corp. used me to promote them without my permission. >:(

Was this a case of: if you use your own picture to create your own card, and by doing this you give them the rights to that image?

If so, that's a case in point for reading the fine print (not that too many actually do this on this level).

I guess the next question is: has she been happy with the card? If not, I'd be making it known. B|

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

What did she sign, that she's not getting proper compensation?

I'd be pretty upset if some corp. used me to promote them without my permission. >:(

Was this a case of: if you use your own picture to create your own card, and by doing this you give them the rights to that image?

If so, that's a case in point for reading the fine print (not that too many actually do this on this level).

I guess the next question is: has she been happy with the card? If not, I'd be making it known. B|

Read the waiver you sign at the DZ. Most now include a photo release that allows any photos taken to be used without any further permission or compensation.

I'm not really happy those are there, personally.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Am I the only one that clicked on this thread expecting something about Ricardo Montalban?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Read the waiver you sign at the DZ. Most now include a photo release that allows any photos taken to be used without any further permission or compensation.

Haven't read that on any, but may have overlooked it.

I thought the photos were often/always the legal property of the video guy, not the DZ?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I thought the photos were often/always the legal property of the video guy, not the DZ?

It all depends on the setup.

At my DZ, if you're getting paid to jump, the photo is property of the dropzone, if you're not getting paid to jump, it's yours.

Our photo release on the waiver is for anyone who is staff, and they can use the photo for anything that they want.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

so maybe the video guy sold it without asking the jumper...

Most now include a photo release that allows any photos taken to be used without any further permission or compensation.

Used? Sure. Resold? No.

Yes, resold.

It's a pretty standard "model release" that's in the waiver. It isn't really clear who owns the picture (Fast covered this a few posts up) but the person in the photo gives up any and all rights.

Ask Skymamma. There was an ad for the PAC 750 in Parachutist a while back. It was an exit photo that included several jumpers and the airplane. She was one of the jumpers.
The model release in the waiver meant that the owner of the pic (photog or DZ, depending) could sell the pic without the people in it having any say over it or having any right to the proceeds.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

In the US, I thought all photographs were property of the photographer, not the people in the photo ..

Yes. They are the property of the photog.

But in order for the photog to sell for publication, the people in the photos need to sign off on it.

There's an exception for news sorts of stuff, but I can't take a picture of random people on the street and turn it into a published ad. Not without a "model release" that the people in the pic sign, giving permission for their images to be used,

Wiki Clicky:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_release