hankwood

etiquette

kind of curious, I'm doing my first 7 aff jump( 2 down) and I'm wondering if tipping is common. saw someone else do it but I figured that they were getting paid to have fun at work(wish I could do that) . getting kind of a vibe and I haven't kneed anyone in mid-air or anything so I am wondering if that is it. these jumps ain't breaking the bank but they ain't cheap either
any thoughts?

Tipping is appreciated but not required at places I've been. You could save that tip money and buy more and better beer when you graduate AFF. That would be appreciated.
Good luck as you progress toward a license.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I've had a few AFF students tip once in a blue moon, it was always a real surprise. If your feeling up to it because you feel the instructor(s) deserve it, cool then by all means tip them. If your thinking it's kind of expected and yet your not really feeling it's earned as much as it's just expected, then just show up with some good beers and maybe order pizza to share once the sun sets and hang out and make friends.... Chances are that "vibe" will go away or turn into a happy dz vibe of your "home" dz with your new friends.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Personally I tipped my instructors quite a bit thru all of AFF. I did it for a few reasons;

1. I understand the value of a professional's time. (they don't get paid "alot")
2. I knew this would be my home dz and I wanted to thank them for their effort.
3. I had the extra money.
4. I had a huge crush on Lelo! :D

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Bring a shit ton of good beer when you get off aff. For awhile after making a new dz my home dz, i always brought so much booze that people would always have a comment haha. Helps find people to drink with at the end of the day too, if you funnel a jump you can always erase it from their memory. ;)

Tips are nice, but you can always offer to buy the person some lunch, or help them work on their car, or something like that. Usually these things stick out in people's mind much more than a $20 bill at the end of the day.

I used to tip my rigger all the time, but don't think he usually got tips.

I don't see tipping to be that common, but it would be nice.

More common to this community you've joined is to hang out after the day is over and buy some beer/soda/pizza/etc... with your new friends.

Welcome!!

JW
(diet coke w/ Deep Dish Pepperoni and Anchovy!!)
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Tipping is appreciated but not required at places I've been.

tipping, by definition, is never "required"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Tipping is appreciated but not required at places I've been.

tipping, by definition, is never "required"

"Unless your party has 8 or more people, in which case a 18% gratuity will automatically be added to your bill.":S (bottom of many restaurant menus)

I guess, they assume that if you brought 7 friends, you already know the service will be that good....

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

id say tipping is for tandem students, not aff

May I print out this one on a laaarge poster and stick it to the wall next to the tandem student instructional area here? B|
To be more serious: Tips even for tandem instructors are very uncommon here in Germany. Got a CD (of the guy's band) and a small bottle of champagne so far, never coins or even notes. But their sheer joy is reward enough... apart from the money the DZO uses to make me fall out of a perfectly good plane with another person attached to me :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Tipping = Beer
Once you're finished your AFF jumps you will be "encouraged" to bring beer!
Spend your money on gear, beer and jumps!
Skydivers are nothing but a bunch of Narcissistic A$$holes!!
Front risers were made for pulling! Pal
MuFF#5640
D.S. # 2012

I've heard that un-tipped instructors will spit on your ripcord handle when you're not looking...:o

That's OK.... No need to touch it, the RSL/Skyhook/AAD will take care of it... ;)

how will the RSL or skyhook work with no main out?:P

He did say AAD can handle it :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've heard that un-tipped instructors will spit on your ripcord handle when you're not looking...:o

That's OK.... No need to touch it, the RSL/Skyhook/AAD will take care of it... ;)

how will the RSL or skyhook work with no main out?:P

He did say AAD can handle it :P

Yes. I would not recommend anything that was unsafe. :|
Remster