rss_v

Unauthorised balloon jumps

What would be the consequences of the following act:

You book a hot air balloon ride across your local area, over countryside you're kind of familiar with. You arrive nice and early on a chilly autumn morning wearing a long coat. Trying to distract the pilot and other passengers from the large hump on your back, you act cool and chat with them as you climb to altitude and nervously monitor your location over the ground. At an opportune moment you point and say to the pilot, "Hey, look at that!". While his head is turned you drop your coat to the floor of the basket and flop over the side.

Would the pilot be very, very angry? Would he hunt you down and involve the police? What if you stuffed some cash in his hand before you hopped out?

This hypothetical situation would hypothetically occur in the UK, by the way.

Pilot might not be too happy with the unexpected weight loss!

among OTHER things....

rss_v.?? is this question supposed to be our LAUGH ?? for the day???? or are you just Bored?:ph34r:

"Unauthorized ANYTHING"... always works better when all the primary players, are...

IN
ON
IT!!!:o:SB|

I M H O you would be acting very selfishly, to pull such a stunt...

j

Pilot might not be too happy with the unexpected weight loss!

among OTHER things....

rss_v.?? is this question supposed to be our LAUGH ?? for the day???? or are you just Bored?:ph34r:

"Unauthorized ANYTHING"... always works better when all the primary players, are...

IN
ON
IT!!!:o:SB|

I M H O you would be acting very selfishly, to pull such a stunt...

j

I just don't imagine hot air balloon pilots as being the rebellious type. More like teachers that you have to hoodwink and misbehave behind their back, then run for it.

worst case scenario, somebody reports this to the CAA and the balloon pilot looses his licence. Honestly! Not clever! The pilot is assumed to be in control, and therefore is assumed to be complicit in your drop unless you confess, and then the CAA could strip you of your skydiving certification. Or both of you.

worst case scenario, somebody reports this to the CAA and the balloon pilot looses his licence. Honestly! Not clever! The pilot is assumed to be in control, and therefore is assumed to be complicit in your drop unless you confess, and then the CAA could strip you of your skydiving certification. Or both of you.

Worst case scenario you kill the balloon pilot. The balloon needs to be in a descent prior to exit to ensure there aren't problems with the sudden loss of weight.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Aside from the pilot getting in trouble I could think of a couple charges that could be thrown your way if you pissed the pilot of sufficiently (at least in the united states).

-Inciting terror (passengers/pilot thinking you just peter panned)
-Reckless endangerment (sudden/unexpected weight change...if pilot was pissed he could claim it was dangerous)

j

I just don't imagine hot air balloon pilots as being the rebellious type. More like teachers that you have to hoodwink and misbehave behind their back, then run for it.

Then you're a jerk for not realizing a teacher (such as myself) wouldn't notice that crap. You'd be an even bigger jerk for pulling that crap in the sky. Don't be a jerk.

Or someone thinks he's going to die (like Jeb;s empire state bldg incident) and won't let go. That person falls out and now, you're a murderer.
My photos

My Videos

What would be the consequences of the following act:

You book a hot air balloon ride across your local area, over countryside you're kind of familiar with. You arrive nice and early on a chilly autumn morning wearing a long coat. Trying to distract the pilot and other passengers from the large hump on your back, you act cool and chat with them as you climb to altitude and nervously monitor your location over the ground. At an opportune moment you point and say to the pilot, "Hey, look at that!". While his head is turned you drop your coat to the floor of the basket and flop over the side.

Would the pilot be very, very angry? Would he hunt you down and involve the police? What if you stuffed some cash in his hand before you hopped out?

This hypothetical situation would hypothetically occur in the UK, by the way.

I've got a better answer, which is another question.

Why?

Go jump off a bridge in Idaho instead. At least then you're not endangering someone else.

There aren't many Idahos in the UK, and a balloon is much higher and much safer (for me!). Obviously if I could do a legit over-the-DZ balloon jump then I would, but they're rare, places are usually allocated by a raffle, and you need to be Z-licensed with 40,000 helicopter jumps.

A friend and I considered this several years back, but we didn't for the following reasons...

a) Endangerment of the other passengers and pilot due to sudden weight difference in the basket.

b) The Police being called to look for the 'body' of a suicide jump. (If they didn't see you exit how are they to know you're wearing a rig.

c) In the UK these flights are often full of Saga types waiting to enjoy strawberries and champers, you could seriously give someone a heart attack.

d) Its illegal and jumping in the day you're likely to get caught if the pilot calls 999.

e) Tickets to do this legally are easy enough to obtain either here or in Spain or for a good holiday in the USA or elsewhere.

This is a bad idea Skydiving s a small community in the UK, do this and don't be surprised to be banned from pretty much every Dropzone in the UK and have your ratings pulled. You'll be bringing us all in to negative media and do nothing good for the sport.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Aside from the pilot getting in trouble I could think of a couple charges that could be thrown your way if you pissed the pilot of sufficiently (at least in the united states).

-Inciting terror (passengers/pilot thinking you just peter panned)
-Reckless endangerment (sudden/unexpected weight change...if pilot was pissed he could claim it was dangerous)

Work for TSA do ya? Damn terrorists
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

There aren't many Idahos in the UK, and a balloon is much higher and much safer (for me!). Obviously if I could do a legit over-the-DZ balloon jump then I would, but they're rare, places are usually allocated by a raffle, and you need to be Z-licensed with 40,000 helicopter jumps.

Is there any specific reason you can't collect a bunch of like minded skydivers, collect some cash and hire a balloon operator specially just for you to skydive with? That is pretty much how its done on every balloon jump I've been involved with. Or are the UK regs too stringent to do this?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Sorry, but this is one of the stupidest things I have read since joining here.

Are you so lacking in common sense and concern for others that you really needed confirmation on here?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Perhaps he was merely doing research for a book? Nothing wrong with asking questions; hell, if I had asked my mom what would happen when I put a stick-pin in a power socket, I would have saved myself a lot of pain as a child.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Perhaps he was merely doing research for a book? Nothing wrong with asking questions; hell, if I had asked my mom what would happen when I put a stick-pin in a power socket, I would have saved myself a lot of pain as a child.

How many times did you do it before you decided it wasn't a good idea?

This about this too.....where are you going to land?

You have no prepicked landing area and some obstacles you can't see until its too late.

We all land out occassionally, but we usually know the area to behin with. From a balloon just floating around the countryside the risks increase accordingly with the lack of knowledge of the surrounding area and outs.

Just food for thought.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

You have no prepicked landing area and some obstacles you can't see until its too late.

We all land out occassionally, but we usually know the area to behin with. From a balloon just floating around the countryside the risks increase accordingly with the lack of knowledge of the surrounding area and outs.

Just food for thought.

So basically just like every real legal balloon jump?

The rest of this stupid idea contains far worse issues than a routine balloon landing.

Just food for thought.

:D
Yes, out of 4 balloon jumps, I actually landed on the airport twice.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The rest of this stupid idea contains far worse issues than a routine balloon landing.

Was just pointing out that some DZs do balloon jumps and that's great, you have a landing area. Perhaps this guy wasn't thinking about landing. Off-DZ jumps are all well and good, just wanted to make sure he considered this so that he had a better shot at making it to the point where they could arrest him in one piece :)
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"