Nataly

Ever taken anyone to court??

Anyone on here ever taken someone to court? What was the experience like? Was it a huge drain (financially / emotionally)? Was the result satisfactory? Was it worth it?

I know each country is different, so I'm not expecting any direct advice - just curious to hear different takes on your experience(s) with the legal system...

In case you want some context: the company that installed my phone line broke my shutter and I've been on the case since February to get them to pay for a replacement... Loooong story short, they have admitted responsibility (in writing), but after the first email response they have simply ignored every communication from me thereafter (the boss is never in when I call - and never calls back; no emails are answered, et cetera)... So I'm considering taking things to the next level...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I once started the small claims court process on a driver that rear ended me, no insurance, and wasn't paying. A small filing fee on my part had a Sheriff's Deputy deliver the court summons to his door. He got in touch with me prior to the court date and settled in full.

Worked for me.:)

What was the experience like? Was it a huge drain (financially / emotionally)? Was the result satisfactory? Was it worth it?

Does divorce court count? If so, then my answers are yes, yes, yes and yes. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Had to sue a lawyer one time for $375. I did a small repair job on his property. Sent me a letter saying what a good job I did but wasn't going to pay because he blamed the problem on the people who worked on his property before and wanted them to pay.>:(

Didn't want to pay so I filed in small claims court. He finally paid in full after streaching court dates out for about six months.

Now he is disbarred for taking payment in services from devorcing woman. In jail waiting trial for cheating illeagals. Taking money to get them legal papers but doing nothing, and praticing law without a license.

Now additional charges of trying to hire a hit on the prosecutor.

A good day is when I see his mugg shot in the paper.:D

Back on point.

I just think you should stay after the company to fix your shutter. If France has something like small claims court in the US you can do it withoiut a lawyer.
The boss probably thinks because your a woman he can ignore you. Your a skydiver so you don't quit.
Stay after him until he pays.

For a minute I thought she was going after her stalkers here.[:/]

She doens't have to take anyone to court to get a restraining order.

She just has to go herself.
The process servers would bring it to you (and the rest of us :P)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I being taken to court. :(Got a pre-trial Monday morning. Paid a lawyer $2500. so I don't have to say a word.

Apparently I injured an intruder who then called 911 on me.:S Lawyer doesn't know how it is going to go and said I had a better chance if I had killed him as it is now a "he said/she said case".

Please send loving vibes my way.:$

Pay for the shutter yourself and be done with it. Life is too short to fight for small things even if you are right.:)

Pay for the shutter yourself and be done with it. Life is too short to fight for small things even if you are right.:)

Not that small... It will cost *at least* €1,500 to replace the shutter, believe it or not. You can't just do whatever you want when you live in the historical part of the medieval village - there are strict rules and regulations regarding materials / style, et cetera.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

In SA (and I believe in UK?) you can issue an invoice if the amount is under a certain amount (Typically equivalent of £5000), put a pay by date (normally 2 weeks) and when they don't pay, list them with a credit agency as non-payers, and get the small claims court to issue notice of proceedings. Normally they pay up. Very satisfying to get your money!

Strict rules, regulations? In France? Nooooo.

Can't you do what the locals do and just ignore them? When someone official comes to bleat on at you just look bored and shrug your shoulders.

It's even worse in the UK with listed buildings... And trust me, Nat's place is listed. (or, in the case of Ryoder, Unlisted! lol)
Remster

Strict rules, regulations? In France? Nooooo.

Can't you do what the locals do and just ignore them? When someone official comes to bleat on at you just look bored and shrug your shoulders.

:D:D:D:D

I probably will end-up having to pay for new shutters myself since the above mentioned method is how the company has dealt with me so far... Very effective French technique for not following silly rules like laws for consummer rights...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

If the boss isn't there, ask for the next level of boss. Never stop going up. There is not an appropriate level to stop until the problem is solved. For a shutter, it is likely to cost you more than a shutter is worth unless you get a judge who is very sympathetic and will award you court costs.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Not that small... It will cost *at least* €1,500 to replace the shutter, believe it or not. You can't just do whatever you want when you live in the historical part of the medieval village - there are strict rules and regulations regarding materials / style, et cetera.

Its France, can't you just tell them it was damaged in a retreat or surrender or something and get the US to pay for the rebuilding?

:P

:D

:)

I've done the small claims court thing three times now. In each case when it started going south, I made copious notes of days, dates and times. Each time I won. The judges can tell who's in the right. It's a fairly easy process... plus when you win, they have to pay you back the filing fess. (here in the US).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.