nigel99

Don't vandalise peoples logbooks!

People please don't vandalise other peoples logbooks, its not funny or cool to do it to people you don't know.

My wife is VERY conservative and just texted to say she was humiliated and embarrassed. She is busy doing the course to get recurrent and the chief instructor was flipping through her logbook in front of all the other AFF students (she is doing the FJC again) and stumbled on a 'filthy drawing'.

I could kick myself cause popsjumper warned me, to keep an eye on her logbook and I know that he was trying to as well, but somehow one slipped through the net.

In short do what you like to your or friends logbooks, but please leave other peoples alone [/rant]
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

People please don't vandalise other peoples logbooks, its not funny or cool to do it to people you don't know.

My wife is VERY conservative and just texted to say she was humiliated and embarrassed. She is busy doing the course to get recurrent and the chief instructor was flipping through her logbook in front of all the other AFF students (she is doing the FJC again) and stumbled on a 'filthy drawing'.

I could kick myself cause popsjumper warned me, to keep an eye on her logbook and I know that he was trying to as well, but somehow one slipped through the net.

In short do what you like to your or friends logbooks, but please leave other peoples alone [/rant]

Honestly? It depends on how 'filthy' the drawing was. Was not possible to just laugh it off and forget about it?

I'll venture a guess and say it was a. done by accident in the wrong logbook, b. whoever did it didn't mean any harm and didn't think the person would get that embarrassed, or c. a and b together.

Can't you just let it go? That's part of the culture...same as flashing the pilot, beer for all your 'firsts', etc etc etc. :|:S

Oh, it's a tradition. Tell her she's one of the gang now! B|

And now I bet she'll learn not to leave her logbook laying around, huh? That's how the rest of us learned! ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Now, wait a minute -- first we tell Nigel that he should be considerate of his wife's feelings of being left out, of her being uncomfortable with his 4-way team having a young woman -- now, when he has made the effort to help her get more involved with the sport, we laugh at her being uncomfortable with a "filthy" drawing in her log book?

Nigel -- I agree with you. It isn't funny to do it to people you don't know. I'd be more than a little upset if someone did that to my logbook, especially if I wanted to share my skydiving experience with my parents.

I've never heard of that, or flashing the pilot. Beer for firsts? Paid more than my fair share! ;) But we even offer non-drinkers the option of buying some other beverage of their choice.

However, I'm definitely keeping my stuff out of sight now. [:/]

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Honestly? It depends on how 'filthy' the drawing was. Was not possible to just laugh it off and forget about it?

I'll venture a guess and say it was a. done by accident in the wrong logbook, b. whoever did it didn't mean any harm and didn't think the person would get that embarrassed, or c. a and b together.

Can't you just let it go? That's part of the culture...same as flashing the pilot, beer for all your 'firsts', etc etc etc. :|:S

Personally there is very little that would offend me, if it was done in MY logbook.

My wife is devoutly religious and very conservative in outlook. I know it was done as a prank, but when you don't know the person it is better not to risk offending them. If you are going to mess with a logbook - check the name its not that hard, if you know the person fine...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Now, wait a minute -- first we tell Nigel that he should be considerate of his wife's feelings of being left out, of her being uncomfortable with his 4-way team having a young woman -- now, when he has made the effort to help her get more involved with the sport, we laugh at her being uncomfortable with a "filthy" drawing in her log book?

Nigel -- I agree with you. It isn't funny to do it to people you don't know. I'd be more than a little upset if someone did that to my logbook, especially if I wanted to share my skydiving experience with my parents.

I've never heard of that, or flashing the pilot. Beer for firsts? Paid more than my fair share! ;) But we even offer non-drinkers the option of buying some other beverage of their choice.

Anyway at this point just hoping for good weather on Saturday so she gets some jumps in.

I agree, it's not tradition to fuck with other peoples property.

If you dont know me,leave my stuff alone.

Just because you fall out of a plane, does not give you license or permission to be a Rude fucktard.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Anyway at this point just hoping for good weather on Saturday so she gets some jumps in.

Sending you and her blue skies, good weather & clean logbook wishes. ;)

I am guilty, and only a small number of times, but only because some one hands me a log book with something about me in it, with a smirk on their face.

Like "hey Doug, come sign my log book", and then there is something about me crying, or sobbing, or funneling the formation. Some defamation that is all in good fun.

So going along with the sentiment I draw a picture of said jumper performing fellatio or some other poorly drawn & somewhat offensive image.

Normally some one did it to me first, so next time I sign their log book I return the favor.

I would pick up someones log book and do that, that would be in poor taste and rather rude.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I think I've left mine at the DZ a half dozen times for a week or more. Nothing every happened to it. Guess I'll keep an eye on it in Europe.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I agree, it's not tradition to fuck with other peoples property.

If you dont know me,leave my stuff alone.

Just because you fall out of a plane, does not give you license or permission to be a Rude fucktard.

this

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

the chief instructor was flipping through her logbook in front of all the other AFF students (she is doing the FJC again) and stumbled on a 'filthy drawing'.

Could the instructor have stayed low key, mouth shut and kept flipping? I think that would have been my move.:)

That's because you have class.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

As you'll know, in the UK a logbook is considered an important document in some circumstances, and not just while you're a student - for example it'll definitely be checked if you turn up to jump at the nationals. It's almost on a par with your BPA, FAI and reserve docs.

That doesn't make much sense to me given how easy it is to falsify entries, but I guess them's the rules. For that reason I wouldn't screw with anybody's logbook, whether I knew them or not.

Edited to add: regardless of the rights and wrongs of logbook abuse, I think if your wife is very conservative she'd likely be offended on a pretty regular basis at most of the DZs I've jumped at. ;)

I've only flipped close to the back of a log book...written something like "Hey asshole!" to Muff Bros. ® or just a friendly hello type message.

Someone did that to me years ago. It put a smile on my face long after it was put there. Kinda nice to get a hello from a friend on the other side of the planet out of the blue.
I think a hidden writing is very cool.B|
Not so much if it's offensive.

I've only flipped close to the back of a log book...written something like "Hey asshole!" to Muff Bros. ® or just a friendly hello type message.

Someone did that to me years ago. It put a smile on my face long after it was put there. Kinda nice to get a hello from a friend on the other side of the planet out of the blue.
I think a hidden writing is very cool.B|
Not so much if it's offensive.

When I was a newer jumper a friend of mine "bounce proofed" my log book. He took my log book, flipped to the very last entry, filled it out with something like "that was an awesome jump!" and signed it. He gave it back and just said, "here, now you have to finish it" I thought it was cool :)

I've only flipped close to the back of a log book...

Kinda nice to get a hello from a friend on the other side of the planet out of the blue.

A friend of mine had a buddy that signed pages in his log book in advance. That jumper went in. Months later my friend logged a jump with a signature from The Other Side. . .

He told me it was a strange moment.[:/]

I'm very superstitious about pre-logging. I still log every jump, but only after I'm safely on the ground.

I rarely ask for signatures anymore, but a very nice note from the organizer of my 900th at LP reminded me that it's good to ask for them sometimes, especially on the milestone jumps. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke