npgraphicdesign

So, am I right or are they wrong?

:P:ph34r:

But seriously though...

Nearly 99% of all my friends (including high school classmates, grad school classmates, and even former students of mine) are seriously dating, engaged, married, married with a child (or two), have an apt/condo/house, have steady careers that provide a reliable paycheck (albeit careers that are definitely not for me)...and I'm single, moved to NYC a little over a year ago, and trying to put together an artistic career and trying to find a job.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm definitely passionate about my career choice and have no desire of changing it to something else, going back to school, etc. I just don't see myself doing anything else. Then again, I thought that I would have a steady job, an established career, and at least a serious relationship. But I have none of those things except my passion for my design work and
knowledge that I will make it.

But...is it the wrong approach, and would I be better off having something more predictable and steady, yet somewhat boring? And yes, I am referring to both jobs and relationships...

Weigh in fellow skydivers! :P:D

You're who you are. There isn't any "right" or "wrong" about it.

Would you regret not going for it if you chose a "predictable and steady, yet somewhat boring"path?

There's nothing wrong with stability and security, unless you give up what you really want to get them.

That's a calcluation we each have to make for ourselves. My choices fit me, although there are parts I wish were different (and am making an effort to change those things).
My choices, however are not for everyone, or even most. FFS, I jump out of airplanes on a regular basis, that choice alone is "not for the average person." Why should we be surprised when other choices that we make are out of the mainstream.

It sounds to me like you are having a "Grass is Greener" moment. :P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hi Nikita

Your right. Someone wrote a book Your money or your life you might be able to find it on amazon or the library. Check it out.

As long as your not homeless and dumpster diving for food your doing ok imo. I pulled the plug from a toxic job when I was 48yo that was 17 yr's ago.:)
The peeps that have kids, owe lots of money have to own a new BMW, I phone, and other bling bling that they think they need have few options. Their retirement date depends on when the kids graduate from college.:S

After I retired I told myself now I don't have t do anything stupid unless I want toB|

Relationships? I lucked out when I found "the boss"B|A lot of peeps our age have been married more than once or twice or three times. [:/]

When they have kids and its a bad divorce.B| They can/do get divorced but their on a short leash and the other person can bury them with lawyer fee's until the kids graduate from college.[:/]

One dude told me when he got married the first time his S.O. thought they hit the lotto.

The stats show the divorce rate is 50%[:/] "feel lucky punk"[:/].

I was lucky, but guy's like #2 will never get it.

R.

But...is it the wrong approach, and would I be better off having something more predictable and steady, yet somewhat boring? And yes, I am referring to both jobs and relationships...

If your life sucks less for you than the viable alternatives (going back to school, doing some other career more or less full time if you can get a job, doing what you like very part time) you're doing the right thing.

If not you should make changes.

On a more serious note, It sounds like you have no responsibilities (kids, loans, etc...). Enjoy your life.

THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG IN CHOOSING THE LIFE YOU ENJOY!

If you like your life, and you have no one to be accountable to, or who is dependent on you, good for you. :)
Just don't knock anyone up. :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

On a more serious note, It sounds like you have no responsibilities (kids, loans, etc...). Enjoy your life.

If you like your life, and you have no one to be accountable to, or who is dependent on you, good for you. :)

Yes to all except loans. About...72K worth. :S:o:o

Well, then, SIUCC! Get a freaking job! ;)

Actually, it sounds like you like your life and are meeting your commitments. :)

Don't worry about what you "should" be doing at this "stage" of life. There is no blueprint that shows the "correct" way to live.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

So seeing the Perfect little family's makes you feel like your lacking or missing out. ?

A lot of people as you stated do that early and spend half their life wishing they waited. You are living freedom while you are young there will always be time later when your older to have been there done that. And then you will know if you want to conform to what you believe a normal family man does or continue your life of freedom.

Bare in mind that having a partner does not equate to losing your freedom, having the WRONG partner might.

Nicki, get the fuck over yourself and live a life that makes you happy.;):P

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

$72K these days isn't worth as much as it was 5 yr's this is a good time to owe money, a shitty time to have money and try on live on 1-2% interest.;) Whine whine whine pass the cheese.:)
I'm hoping our money (the boss and I) can make it on what we got untill we get close to the end. Then we'll max out our credit cards and go to the other side with a lot of unsecured debt.

Will it work? Look me down on the other side and we'll let you know.:ph34r:

R.

$72K these days isn't worth as much as it was 5 yr's this is a good time to owe money, a shitty time to have money and try on live on 1-2% interest.;) Whine whine whine pass the cheese.:)
I'm hoping our money (the boss and I) can make it on what we got untill we get close to the end. Then we'll max out our credit cards and go to the other side with a lot of unsecured debt.

Will it work? Look me down on the other side and we'll let you know.:ph34r:

R.

R.

I get what you're saying, but never before have kids in their twenties owed so much while earning so little.

Even twenty or thirty years ago, college grads didn't owe but a fraction of that in college debt.

Nowadays, it's not unusual for a kid to owe that much and still cant find a job that pays 30-40 grand. It's hard to start out so far behind the power curve.

And yes, right now it sucks to be on the retirement side of the equation. I like your idea about the credit card scheme. :ph34r:
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hello nice lady

According to the news sources student debt has now reached the $1trillion mark.[:/] The schools for profit are charging big $ for their class's and the jobs some of the grads get if available will pay crap. the grads will have to move back home and be in debt forever.

40 yr's ago I was getting $175 from the G.I. Bill. It was enough to rent a house with a old time jumper, tuition, food and jump on weekends. I graduated with a engr degree and maybe $2k in debt.Writing a check every month was a PIA so got rid of that to save postage.

Now the young ones need their loans for tuition, books a nice apt, a couple cups of starbucks/day,maybe a car plus AFF, & tunnel time and of course a nice rig.:(

My Plan B after the credit cards are maxed out. Is to do some kind of a Bernie Madoff and go to a senior citizen prison.:S I did what ? With any luck I'll get the bottom bunk & I won'teven know where or who I am and they won't let me out early;)

The peeps in Prison aren't nice and then you may have to deal with the inmates.B|
R.

R.

I like the credit card idea too> They are going to take everything you got anyway when they put you in the retirement home going to get me some solid gold dentures on my Master Card.

Solid gold denture's in a retirement home will last about two days.:|

I can't claim credit for CC idea.

Knew a family that lived on their CC's and made only minimum payments.:S

When the CC holder passed away the collection company immediatly started to bug the kids for at least some $$$ owed on the CC.[:/]

The kids were broke and in a panic. Told the kids their not required to pay anyhting on the CC. If the collection company wanted to talk to some one, send them the address to their moms final resting place.

She probably prepaid with her CC. :S

R.

I could tell you quite the sob story about how my life isn't where I thought itd be, BUT you blossom where you are planted, you make goals, you live life, you love the journey, and you grow.... The "other" stuff... It falls into place or it doesn't , no stress. If there is something in your life you don't like (outside of comparison ) then you make the appropriate changes... Life is only WHAT you make it.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

A FB friend in his 40s posted about a friend who was panicking at his 25th and asked our thoughts about getting older. This was my response, and I think it fits here, too

In your 20s you kind of panic if your life isn't on the "path" you thought it would be on. By the time you're in your 40s, you realize that the path is rarely a straight line, but a wonderful twisty turny roller coaster ride that takes you places you never expected.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A FB friend in his 40s posted about a friend who was panicking at his 25th and asked our thoughts about getting older. This was my response, and I think it fits here, too

In your 20s you kind of panic if your life isn't on the "path" you thought it would be on. By the time you're in your 40s, you realize that the path is rarely a straight line, but a wonderful twisty turny roller coaster ride that takes you places you never expected.

That or your life actually does suck and it;'s likely your own damned fault:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I could tell you quite the sob story about how my life isn't where I thought itd be, BUT you blossom where you are planted, you make goals, you live life, you love the journey, and you grow.... The "other" stuff... It falls into place or it doesn't , no stress. If there is something in your life you don't like (outside of comparison ) then you make the appropriate changes... Life is only WHAT you make it.

Good point luv...thanks.