wolfriverjoe

I'm Sad Today

My little dog, Skyler is gone. He was very old (14) and had a long, wonderful life.
He had stopped eating a week ago, not even treats or his favorite people food.
He stopped drinking Sunday.
I made the decision yesterday and the vet came today. We have a local vet who does housecalls. I didn't want his last minutes of life to be scared out of his mind in the vet's office (he really didn't like it there).
So the vet came, did a bit of paperwork and put him down. First he sedated him so he was asleep when the last shot went in. It was peaceful and painless and on his couch in his house and in my arms.

He's now buried in a sunny spot, right by a spruce tree. A place where he liked to be.

And it really, really hurts.
I know he's not hurting anymore, and that's the most important thing, but I sure am.

He had a wonderful life, did lots of things and went lots of places many dogs don't get to do or go to. He was a "DZ Dog" who greeted the customers with a wag and a bark, and who knew what my canopy looked like so that he would come out when I was coming in for landing. He never did quite figure out that the canopy went forward in addition to down, so he always ended up right unerneath me when I was about 50' or so up. :)
But it was his time. He was starting to suffer from the lack of food and water. He still wanted to go for his walk around the block, even this morning.
But it was his time.

He's been my avatar since the beginning. I've had a couple different pictures of him up, but it's always been him. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep him up or not.

Right now I feel totally lost. I will be ok. I will grieve him and move forward. But damnit, he weaseled his furry little way into my heart and this really hurts.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I know too how deeply the hurt goes, and that nothing your friends may say here will easy the pain.

I truly think there is no better relationship we can have than the one we tender with our faithful companions, keep those good memories in your heart and put with your grief the knowledge that you made each other happy.

How we feel about, and treat our pets is a direct reflection on us as people...you're a good man, I know it, Skyler knows it.

May you both be at peace.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not another one! It seems everyones dogs are dying today. Sorry for your loss, it is sad. In fact I'm turning the computer off as yours is the third one I've heard about this evening.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Imagine him in a place where there is fillet steak every day, a free bone factory, the cats are toothless and have no claws, there is a fire hydrant/power pole every few feet, ample water to recharge with, all the cars can be caught, and all the other dogs butts smell great.

I'm sure there is another pup out there wanting to meet you.......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Imagine him in a place where there is fillet steak every day, a free bone factory, the cats are toothless and have no claws, there is a fire hydrant/power pole every few feet, ample water to recharge with, all the cars can be caught, and all the other dogs butts smell great.

I'm sure there is another pup out there wanting to meet you.......

And all the balls are RED. Red balls are the most fun to chase after.
We have lost both FreeFall and Tandem in the last several weeks and it is quite lonely when no one runs to the door to greet you when you come home.
I feel for ya Joe.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Your post made me cry:(

I'm so sorry for the pain you are experiencing. Our animals have a way of teaching us what is important in life, what unconditional love is supposed to feel like, and how much it hurts when their time is up. I hope that your good memories, of which I'm sure you have many, makes this hard part not feel as hard...

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Thanks everyone. I just took my first "walkie" without him. We used to do about 3 miles every day that I was home. That got reduced last year as he got less able, and this summer we were down to one lap around my block.
I took the "Quarry Walk" alone for the first time in 14 years. We had a few different routes that we took to keep a variety going. This one goes down past the gravel quarry, along the river and past a couple parks. It was very peaceful.
I am really missing him. I keep seeing him out of the corner of my eye. I have a couple acrylic blankets that are brown and tan with a tiger print. His coloring would make him very nearly disappear when he lay on them. Now I look at the blanket and almost see him there. I know this is a normal part of the grief process, but it's hard to take.

In response to a few particulars:

'Twardo - The words don't ease the pain or make it any less, but they do make it easier to bear.

Fullmoon - He had a good life, and made mine better too. That's the deal.

TiaDanger - Sorry to make you cry. I've been crying off and on since Sunday when it became clear that the end was at hand. That's ok. Crying is cleansing. Each tear takes away a little of the pain, but leaves the memories intact.
And he impacted many lives. He was directly responsible for teaching a little girl not to be afraid of dogs, and teaching her mom why people love them. She didn't understand the unconditional love a dog brings until Skyler became a part of her life for a time.
His "lessons" caused her to decide to get a dog (the daughter asked "Can we get a Skyler?") and they ended up adopting one that looks very much like him from the shelter.

So there are many good memories. And when the pain has lessened I will think of him and smile.

Edit because I got a name wrong :$

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Sorry Joe,,,,,Please post that one pic of him by the airplane,,that was a cool pic....thanx:(

This one?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=118275;