iluvtofly

Extreme Generosity to a New Jumper

Something very amazing happened at the Farm this weekend. I was working with a new jumper on some of the ground stuff for his A. A certain old timer jumper who everyone knows on here (not going to mention his name but you can recognize him from his avatar ;)) came up and asked the kid if he was looking to buy a rig. I had the discussion with the kid of used vs. new gear for a new jumper. I told the kid that if the rig fits, this guy would be a great person to buy from. He's very meticulous about his gear so you know it's been taken care of, and he would never sell anyone something that wasn't safe for the person to jump (i.e. too small of a canopy).

Well, after I was done working with him, the kid went to talk to this older gent about buying his gear. He ended up GIVING his complete rig to the new jumper! There was one stipulation attached to it though, when he's done, he has to GIVE it away to a new jumper.

As word spread of what happened everyone was touched at the generosity shown. I think it reminded all of us that if we ever can help out a new jumper in anyway, then we should. :)

Nice!! Paying it forward. I love hearing stories like this! B|

We were "given" an almost new Infinity/PDR/Pilot/Cypres a while back. The owner (long time jumper) quit the sport shortly after buying it. He didn't need the money, he just wanted it to be in the air. Blew me away that anybody would just give away a complete new rig.

So we found a newer jumper who really can't afford to buy gear and handed it to her with the condition that it come back to us when she got gear so we could pass it on to someone else. She had to take a year or so off due to injury (non-skydiving related) and came back a bit too heavy to jump it. It's now being used by another young newbie who really can't afford this sport.

Such an awesome feeling to help keep a broke newbie in the sport. If you don't need the money from a piece of gear you aren't using anymore, I highly recommend paying it forward. That kid you help could very well turn out to be the next "name" in the sport - and I guarantee they will never forget you. :)

I love pay it forward stories :) especially in the beginning of the day, just seems to make everything a little brighter.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

That is awesome, way to stay true to the sport.

One of the greatest rewards I have gotten from skydiving is going out for a jump with a new jumper and seeing the smile on their face.

If you ever find yourself bored with skydiving go do a 2 way with someone with 20 jumps :)

Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

iluvtofly
Thank you! :)People may say this sport of full of dicks and wana be skygods....and I say no. In my short time here in this amazing sport I have met some of the most amazing people ever!
And every day i jump I thank the skygod for that!

I know it means shit from me but when you see the guy, can you please tell him thank you?

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

That is awesome, way to stay true to the sport.

One of the greatest rewards I have gotten from skydiving is going out for a jump with a new jumper and seeing the smile on their face.

If you ever find yourself bored with skydiving go do a 2 way with someone with 20 jumps :)

That's why I got my coach rating. I love being able to jump with the newbs.

Just yesterday I made 2 coach jumps with a guy who only had 20 jumps. I saw a HUGE improvement on his dive and docks from the first to second jump. It made me smile so much to know that I was able to teach him something. It was also an honor when after the first jump he asked me to do another coach jump with him. :)

Thats so awesome, I've had such a great experience so far in this sport. It's relatively safe but still, every jump we run the risk of not making it back and it humbles me. I think it humbles most of us and helps us become better people. I don't want to go in and have someone remember me for some dickhead move I pulled, or lose someone else while the last time they were alive I didn't forgive them for something silly. We're all risking our lives but in turn we get to experience something so absolutely amazing and we make the best friends anyone could ever have.
I hope I forever stay so humble that if I am ever fortunate enough that I can GIVE away something that is worth thousands of dollars that I don't forget where I came from and what I started with.

How can we recognize someone from their avatar if we have no idea who it is,,,,i'll bet its Pops....B|

haha! he was the first one i thought of too.

anyway, thats an awesome thing they did. like everyone said, its great to hear stories like that. :)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Is she HOT!!!

:D

The kid who got the rig? HE is kinda cute. ;)

Is he a DPH yet? Just doing the shot is enough of an incentive!! ;)

Hahaha...not yet. We do require them to have an A first. Got enough to think about when getting your license...don't need the added difficulty of attempting to fly in a corset. :D

That's pretty darn cool. :)
When mrowc6 knocked me up, and we realized that jumping had to be put on the back burner, we had three complete rigs. We carried them around for a bit (thanks to Uncle Sam). We were in El Paso, when we made the decision to divest ourselves of them.

They were still new enough to be somewhat valuable, but we went to the local DZ and gave them to them.

We don't regret that one bit. I have no idea who ended up with them. They may have sold them, and made a small fortune, or they may have become part of the gear on that DZ.

I like to think that someone, who could not otherwise afford some good gear, was able to jump some. :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Heh in contrast, when I was doing my IAD jumps in 2007 they started at $50.00 each..which I was working very hard at minimum wage to pay. DZO suddenly raised to $70.00 each right around my 15th jump. C182 dropzone.

Then soon after I was licensed, he raised the fun jumper ticket and gear rental cost.

Sounds like in your family the girls' balls are bigger than the boys'. ;)

Maybe, but you should save this post, and look at it in a few decades. :P

When I was young, I didn't socialize anywhere, but jumping. I only dated guys who jumped. I even intimidated guys into jumping (not the best approach :P) in order to date me.

Holy crap, I was full of myself.

I guess my point is life moves on. We all change, and not everything we thought was important at 25 or 30, is at 40 or 50.

And for what it is worth, I would be as nervous (I thought I would die) during my kid's first jump, as I was for my first jump :$
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I do want to jump again. :)

Then why dont you. Stop being lame and jump:P
Ill be there in 15 months expecting a jump with you:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Reminds me of something nice done for me a few years ago. A well-known, older jumper at my DZ made an announcement that he had a free pair of gloves for someone with small hands. I went over, and the gloves fit me perfectly (like they were made for me). Turns out there were originally owned by a friend/ former teammate of his who had recently died. :(

I still wear them on every jump, and think about where they came from each time I do. That this totally cool jumper would part with something he could have kept to remember his friend by, just to let someone else to get some use out of them, was really touching.

I didn't even know the previous owner, but I wish I had. At least I still know the "middle man" who chose to pass them on!

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!