chanhlemonlime

Bored, want to practice html/css, thinking about making a niche website for skydivers

I'm trying to find a way to improve my html/css/jquery skills , so I'm thinking about creating a side project for skydivers. I'm not sure what exactly I want to do, but I'm curious if you guys even think it's a good idea.

At least for me, I'm always searching around the web, here included, for different videos. I'm either on Facebook, youtube, vimeo, or here. Also, at least here in France, I don't think there's a big web community for other french skydivers to meet up and jump together. I'm thinking about attacking those two issues.

Anyways, I want to see what you guys think. My friend suggested created a sign up page to see how many people would be willing to participate. Including that, I just want your opinions on it in general. Overall, I'm just trying to find something to do, other than going out to bars and wasting money! haha.

www.bonsaut.com

Thoughts?

you should include a weather and winds aloft section,

Cal it DZ of the dead. Make it a tribute site to all jumpers who have left the party early. Be remembered at dzdead.com!

Also, current jumpers can get started now for those who want to create their account long before they leave.

http://dzdead.com/

dzdead t-shirts will go on sale Friday. Pre-order now

I'm not sure what exactly I want to do, but I'm curious if you guys even think it's a good idea

Thoughts?

Figure out what you want to do before you start coding it. Its SIGNIFICANTLY easier than trying to add/remove features post creation.

Sometimes the hardest part about coding is you have to figure out what you want the program to do, usually the 'making it happen' part is pretty straight forward. (atleast until the debugging comes out :P)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I can't imagine coding something and finding out that I need to delete everything i did just because an idea is bad.

I'm a programmer and I waste hours and days on ideas that are bad, yet fun to code. When I was an AFF student, I spent a few days making an PHP/HTML/CSS landing pattern app for a web site. By the time I finished it, I realized how useless it was because at that point I'd had enough jumps that I could figure it out in my head.

well I did try to get on your site, apparently dedicated to french jumpers but written in english, put my email address in it like 3 days ago, and got nothing back [:/] so I would love to critique more than just the frontpage and its inutility :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

thanks! I'm still designing and coding some stuff. Hopefully a live version should be coming soon. can't wait to see if this flops or not. lol.

Unfortunately, I don't speak french that well, and I live in France... I'm trying to get english speaking people to use this , but at the same time I am trying to convince some french skydivers at the dropzones to give it a try. It's pretty messy. I think making a multi-language website is way out of my league right now.

will be in touch soon!

here's an update of what I have so far as a home page.

http://bonsaut.com/

A friend of mind was interested in what I am doing and offered his programming skills. Hopefully him and I can do something interesting in the next coming days. We're going to need some people to test it out so... i would really appreciate the feedback! This is my first time doing this so I am trying to learn as much as I can.