Nataly

Does education make you dumber??

ill tell you whats killing me, is that even though i have the opportunity to go to any university that will accept me, for free, for 36 months, i have no clue what the F i want to do for a career...............im 33 years old and get bored with things quickly. im sure maybe there are others around my age with this problem, but i dont know. i thought i wanted to become a chef, so i wasted 40k on culinary school and burnt out on that career after a few years. now im an electrician in the coast guard, and its pretty fun, so im gonna try to get a job with the power companies up north, but im not sure if i really want that.

i could go to school with the GI bill and get paid to learn, but i literally dont have a clue what i would study. at some point in your life do you just pick something and roll with it? this sucks
gravity brings me down.........

at some point in your life do you just pick something and roll with it?

I never have, and I've loved every minute of it...We can be anything at any giving time but there will still be consequences.

...there are pretenders among us.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

no i do admit, i am absolutely honored and very blessed to have the opportunity of free education. there are people in this world who would give their own limbs to have the opportunity to go to college. i am very thankful. im just trying to figure out what i really want to do with it so that i can utilize it in the most efficient manner..........

i need to start brainstorming thoughts and plans on paper.
gravity brings me down.........

I'd venture a guess that all those involved in the discovery of the Higgs boson, or the Curiosity mission to Mars, had a pretty good formal education that covered both learning a body of existing knowledge and cultivation of critical thinking skills.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

at some point in your life do you just pick something and roll with it?

I never have, and I've loved every minute of it...We can be anything at any giving time but there will still be consequences.

The other side of that coin is "Control your destiny, or someone else will control it for you."

Very few great things come without preparation and hard work. Kallend's post makes a very valid point that the technology we enjoy, in fact take for granted, is the result of highly trained minds applying themselves. :)

What is this "career" nonesense you speak of?? Your parents and grandparents had to pick one thing to do for the rest of their lives... You have lots of options... Work is fundamentally about earning money to survive. Anything more than that is gravy... :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I've noticed that many MIT grad students can figure out incredibly complex math equations, yet can't figure out that an 11' tall U-haul truck can't fit under a 9' tall bridge.:|

Really? You've met "many" MIT students, who you both (a) know their math skills and (b) have seen crash U-hauls into bridges with exactly a 2 foot interference?

Exactly how many?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've noticed that many MIT grad students can figure out incredibly complex math equations, yet can't figure out that an 11' tall U-haul truck can't fit under a 9' tall bridge.:|

Really? You've met "many" MIT students, who you both (a) know their math skills and (b) have seen crash U-hauls into bridges with exactly a 2 foot interference?

Exactly how many?

I've never crashed a U-haul (or in fact anything) into an overpass (or in fact anything) having not graduated from MIT. So, that's one instance of the contrapositive.

Also, if a grad student can figure out a math equation then its complexity oughtn't strain ones credulity.

What is this "career" nonesense you speak of?? Your parents and grandparents had to pick one thing to do for the rest of their lives... You have lots of options... Work is fundamentally about earning money to survive. Anything more than that is gravy... :)

I hate to say it, but, you, shah, and myself might just agree to this. More will, too.

Virtually no one works only because they love it. I don't know anyone who doesn't need a source of income. They may exist, but they are not in my social circle.

People go to work in order to pay the bills. As you say, the rest is gravy.

The fortunate person doesn't hate what they do. The very extraordinary person gets paid to do what they love.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

People go to work in order to pay the bills. As you say, the rest is gravy.

The fortunate person doesn't hate what they do. The very extraordinary person gets paid to do what they love.

I used to stress about my "career"... I felt tremendous pressure to figure out what it was that I'm meant to do... The reality is that not everyone is consumately passionate about and/or supremely talented at something... Even if I were, careers rarely follow the path you had imagined (and thank goodness for that, because some of us seriously lack imagination!!).

I've discovered that I'm extremely lucky for my ability to drop everything and start new... For me it's reassuring to know that no matter how low you get, you carry your experience with you and a lot of the skills you acquire in one field are transferrable in a different context... So the stuff I used to do may seem totally different, but it's all somehow relevant - you really do build on what you know. And I reckon no experience is a waste of time, so long as you do your best to get the most out of it.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

. The very extraordinary person gets paid to do what they love.

Welcome to my world:)

Read my sigline Biatch ;):P:P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?