pontiacgtp00

I took out a 75,000 dollar loan today to become a flight instructor

I've wanted to fly for a living since I was about 5 years old. 23 now, spent the last 5 odd years as an automotive technician and I hate it. I decided that I don't care if I spend the rest of my life couch surfing while paying a mountain of debt...just as long as I get to fly for a living.

Am I crazy, or just plain stupid?

I've wanted to fly for a living since I was about 5 years old. 23 now, spent the last 5 odd years as an automotive technician and I hate it. I decided that I don't care if I spend the rest of my life couch surfing while paying a mountain of debt...just as long as I get to fly for a living.

75,000 is really not that much of a debt.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've never in my life earned more than 15 to 18 thousand per year, so 75 grand is a good chunk of change for me. I come from a quite depressed area, average annual income for here is 28k yearly.

Now if I was spending 75 grand on a Masters degree in something important, then sure not a huge deal. But to be a pilot? Well, yeah.

I've never in my life earned more than 15 to 18 thousand per year, so 75 grand is a good chunk of change for me. I come from a quite depressed area, average annual income for here is 28k yearly.

Now if I was spending 75 grand on a Masters degree in something important, then sure not a huge deal. But to be a pilot? Well, yeah.

follow your dreams dude you only live once.

For comparison, my student loan debt after 2 BS, plus OD and MS degrees totalled $126K. It took 7 years of pouring every penny I could into it to pay off, with absolutely nothing left for anything fun. So yes, that seems really high given the earning potential at the end of it. Why not work at something else while concurrently becoming a flight instructor and pay as you go?

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I don't think you're either crazy OR stupid!

Heck...If I knew then what I know now, I'd probably be flying a heavy for United.

My roomie in college was in the flight program, his dad was like number 3 at U.A. and tried dozens of times to talk me into changing over to flight school.

Even offered to loan me the money to do it! B|

I had my Private and love to fly, but wouldn't even get a commercial back then (late 70's) because I wanted to jump and not fly at the DZ...:S

So I'm curios, what specifically are your goals and your plan to get there?

A good number of my friends 'Fly For a Living' but that basic description encompasses quite a diverse circle of employment options.

Is your aim to eventually be drivin' a crowd killer from the left seat for one of the majors, corporate cabdriver, have a flight school, be an airshow performer, skydiver driver, pullin' Ad banners in a bug-smasher, smuggle drugs...??

Also wondering how you arrived at the 75,000 figure...I mean for 1/2 that you could get a CFI, -and- buy a small plane. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Why not work at something else while concurrently becoming a flight instructor and pay as you go?

It's interesting you should say that, it's been a tried & true pathway for many professional pilots over the years.

It's not however a necessarily fast or certain way to get a shot at the majors here in the 21st century.

There are currently programs that take you from point zero to right seat in a 737, while gaining actual pertinent experience and suitable hours.

Can often lead to a position in turbines with a commuter, which is on the ladder for the big jets.

The airlines tend to like those guys because they usually have a mountain of debt, and are willing to hump the bus route runs for years ~ building hours for little pay...

~they're also relatively young so will be in the Biz for quite a while, and haven't learned a lotta 'bad habits' scud-running bank checks & the mail to St. Louis at 2am in a caravan. :D

My wife is a 767 Captain and tells me often about the 'kid' in the right seat that hasn't been ALIVE as long as she's been with the airline! ;)

That's why I asked about the 75,000 loan, IIRC that's ballpark for some of those airline courses.

Ever thought of doing it through the military? You mentioned graduate school, so I will presume you have a 4-yr degree already. Talk to recruiters, but be sure they understand you will ONLY consider officer programs with flight option guaranteed (pilot and lawyer are the only career fields that are guaranteed by the Marine Corps). If you don't qualify for the program, you don't have to take the contract and can walk away. If you choose to go that route, you will have flight school funded, AND get paid (with health care, living expenses, etc) on top of it.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Good for you man, follow the dream I say and hopefully enjoy the work that comes from it.

And I have to say thank you for making me feel less bad about looking into taking a 25k loan for rotary flight school :)
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

Good for you man, follow the dream I say and hopefully enjoy the work that comes from it.

And I have to say thank you for making me feel less bad about looking into taking a 25k loan for rotary flight school :)

LOL I borrowed 40K just for a DZ boogie van:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If it's all you want to do, then I say go for it but be prepared not to break $20k for the next ten years. Flying was all I wanted to do until I started doing it for a living, now it's just a job.

What kind of flying do you do?

And to he OP, Sorry I was 1/2 asleep when I responded at 3am this morning, the CFI part of the post title didn't register I guess. :)

I still don't think you are crazy or stupid...

Just curious about your plan?

That does seem like a lot of money for a single engine land CFI ticket, are you going for double I, Multi, etc.?

My full time job is air ambulance, I also fly most weekends for the dropzone here and frequently do contract work. I make a decent living now but the first five years were difficult with a family and I have a lot of friends who at the ten to fifteen year mark are starting a new seniority list with a regional airline and hoping to break the $25k mark.

He could always moonlight as a jump pilot on the weekends.

So long as he doesn't realize that the jump pilot is the lowest paid guy at the dz (per load).:D:D

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My full time job is air ambulance, I also fly most weekends for the dropzone here and frequently do contract work. I make a decent living now but the first five years were difficult with a family and I have a lot of friends who at the ten to fifteen year mark are starting a new seniority list with a regional airline and hoping to break the $25k mark.

Is that your plan too...regional and on up?

Sounds like you're almost doing so MUCH flying ya may be getting burned out, at least you have some variety. B|

I know it's rough on the front end, the middle is good and when you hit the back 1/3 of your career and and start pulling in monthly what you did annually ...it all seems worth it! ;)

Be very carefull about paying upfront for flight instruction. Not long ago a major heli flight school went under and left many students with loans to pay back and no flight training.

James

He could always moonlight as a jump pilot on the weekends.

So long as he doesn't realize that the jump pilot is the lowest paid guy at the dz (per load).:D:D

Yeah and there are some really talented turbine jocks in our little corner of the world.

I know a few that don't WANT to do anything else...that's passion.

I know guys that fly as a job or career path only, to them it's an office with a window. Maybe, but more often than not I think there's more to it.

I know one guy who flies 737's for a major because he loves flying so much he picked up an airline job in addition to being an extremely successful dentist! He's done both of years.

I'd never discourage someone that's wanted to fly all their life from chasing the dream.

It certainly IS a tough row to hoe but I honestly believe passion plays a part in sticking with it...whether they'll admit it or not.

My better 1/2 started flying at 15...did the CFI thing as well as every other crappy flyin' job in the book from ferry pilot to the Grand Canyon Tours in a 402.

She just loves to fly, it's as much of a calling for some people as skydiving seems to be for some of 'us'...any time, any place, what ever it takes.

Our son OTOH claimed it was HIS life's dream as well... 1/2 way through flight school I think he realized it was a lot more work and commitment than he'd figured. He was damn good, just didn't want it bad enough.

Nothing but respect for those willing to pay the price and chase a dream! B|

every other crappy flyin' job in the book from ferry pilot to the Grand Canyon Tours in a 402.

Ya know, that's one job I think I would actually like. One of our jumpers does that and even is going to be on a show on the weather channel starting what looks like is the Monday after next!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I won't pass judgement on whether that was a crazy or stupid decision but I wanted to echo what someone said earlier in the thread: DO NOT PAY UP FRONT for any flight training. That would be a seriously stupid decision. I'm guessing it's too late, however.

In any case, best of luck in your new pursuit! Most of the time, being a pilot is an alright job.

The school is Phoenix East Aviation in Daytona, FL. It's an accredited school of course. Sallie Mae is my lender, the school has a lending agreement with them. They've been around for a long time, I've dealt with them in the past, I trust them fully. As far as the loan goes, I applied for the loan online and was approved...that's all there is to it I suppose?

I spent a few weeks looking into going the military route, and came to the conclusion of: I'll get dicked over, and never see the left seat of an aircraft. The civilian route guarantees me. Instead of having to screw around for a few years before having a TINY chance of getting to fly, I'll be in the air within a week after ground school begins.

I fully intend on completing both the CFI and MEI courses, going by the price sheet from Phoenix East, and by recommendation from the finance department, 75,000 is about what I'll need.

As far trying to "pay as I go". It would take me 20 years to pay for 75 grand worth of flight training by flipping burgers and selling groceries. I've tried for 3 months to secure a job that pays more than 11 dollars an hour in my area, and I've came up with nada...that's why I made the big leap to leave and do what I've wanted. My only career skill right now is fixing cars, and that is not a moneymaker at all.

I've already accepted the fact that I'll never earn any sort of real income in my life...but I'd be much happier earning 20k in the pilots seat, than earning 20k fixing junk cars. I'd like to be a flight instructor, or do sightseeing flights for tourists maybe. I haven't really considered flying 777's or anything like that.

I've tried for 3 months to secure a job that pays more than 11 dollars an hour in my area,

Way to stick it out:D:D:D:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My father got "hosed" through a "local flying club" back in 2002. I'll never attend one of those shoddy looking places. I prefer a well established, accredited school. Their price sheet said $9400 for the private pilots license part 141, and that's what I'm going by. Embry-Riddle flight school is even higher.

And by tried for 3 months, I'm meaning 7 days a week applying at dealerships, stores, plants, anywhere there's a business I've applied. Talking to business owners and managers. I've even offered to work for free at a few garages, just to show them I'm a good auto technician. I won't work minimum wage 10 hours a week alongside a bunch of 16 year old high school kids.