Nataly

My boyfriend overestimates my abilities...

Went hiking with the bf today... HOLY FUCKING CRAP is all I have to say... (That, and OWWWWWWIIIIEEEEEE!!)

This is the third time we've gone hiking/climbing and each time I have told him I am not interested in expert-level trails/climbs... So of course he takes me off course for 8-hour long expeditions... Well... I'm sure when he does them they are only 8 hours of fun - more like 10 with me handicapping his pace... :S:S

I hurt everywhere. :S:|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

When you ascend a mountain you are giving your heart and your lungs a good workout. But it is the descent that makes you sore the next day. All that pounding can really do a number on your knees and other body parts, Those hiking poles (similar to ski poles) do help, but you will still take a pounding coming down.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Went out to visit my friends that ran Outward Bound. They were just wild to throw 50 lb packs on their backs and go hike. I worked construction for a living, did they think I was nuts. I grabbed a bag of Oreo's. When the bag got half empty I turned back.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

When you ascend a mountain you are giving your heart and your lungs a good workout. But it is the descent that makes you sore the next day. All that pounding can really do a number on your knees and other body parts, Those hiking poles (similar to ski poles) do help, but you will still take a pounding coming down.

I agree on the ascending, but for me when descending there is no pounding at all; I just apply the bicycles brakes as necessary to keep from flying off the hairpin turns, and enjoy the ride.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I took my son and my sister to mt ranier at the end of july, took them on a expert ranked trail, I carried all the food and water, my son is 10 and competes in jr marathons so he was fine, however my sister who looks to be in good shape is actually not - she is incredibly stubborn though and I had to call breaks to let her recover - she wasnt gonna admit she couldnt do it but the staggering from side to side on the trail is a dead giveaway :ph34r:

me and my sis really didnt get along when we were young, she was alot like a badger - if you upset her she attacked, she put our step brother in the ER with a can of creamed corn to give you an idea of what we had to deal with here...

*shrug* so I am immature, this was PAYBACK!!

so whacha do to upset him? :P
Roy

PS: serious here, tell him to knock it off or go alone - days of pain from overdoing it arnt worth it.
an idea occured to me - why dont you plan the hiking trip? do some research - find an area that appeals to you and take him there? *(we all know wimmins are in charge, most just dont admit it) :P

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Next time you pick the hike.

I love hiking; I go slower than my husband, but I can still hold my own. Did Mt. Washington (mountain here in the US) this summer; that was fun. Usually I like going down (good knees), but all the loose rocks made it really tough.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The solution to this is quite simple; walk at your own pace and comfort level.

If he pushes you to go farther and faster, tell him to go on without you, not just on the trail, but for the rest of his life.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Was it one of those via ferreta adventures?

You're kidding, right?? Those things are a piece of cake.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Was it one of those via ferreta adventures?

You're kidding, right?? Those things are a piece of cake.

You obviously haven't tried ferreta legging.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Nataly,

I understand what you are saying, mrowc6, and I rode from Seattle to San Diego on our bikes (30 days, no freaking sag wagon), and there is no way I could keep up with him.

Men are much stronger and have much more stamina (I'm going to get a ration here, but it is true).

He never left me behind, and we did many more long distance trips.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Nataly,

Men are much stronger and have much more stamina (I'm going to get a ration here, but it is true).

Ill agree on the strength but not necessarily so on the stamina. I have found that all things being otherwise equal, women have more stamina then men.
I taught aerobic (body combat and attack) for quite a while and women almost always outshone men in stamina
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Communicate. He probably has no idea that he is pushing you too hard. He may just have a very high opinion of you.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Communicate. He probably has no idea that he is pushing you too hard. He may just have a very high opinion of you.

Unless there is an ego involved. Then they will purposefully push you way behind what you can do in order to make themselves feel good and make you feel bad. However I do not believe this to be the case here, more of clueless as Dave Said.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Seriously, I think this is what it is... I really think he doesn't get that I am not uber-fit at the moment... Also, he has been hiking/climbing from a VERY young age, so I he underestimates how hard it is for a beginner. I obviously had a talk with him (again) and I like Wendy's idea of planning the hike. (I think it was Wendy's idea - sorry if I am attributing this stroke of genius to the wrong genius! :P) I don't know enough to plan the whole thing myself, but next time I will ask him to show/explain in advance what he is planning and agree on a "Plan B" route that is easier/harder so we have options.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Went hiking with the bf today... HOLY FUCKING CRAP is all I have to say... (That, and OWWWWWWIIIIEEEEEE!!)

This is the third time we've gone hiking/climbing and each time I have told him I am not interested in expert-level trails/climbs... So of course he takes me off course for 8-hour long expeditions... Well... I'm sure when he does them they are only 8 hours of fun - more like 10 with me handicapping his pace... :S:S

I hurt everywhere. :S:|

When I was in college I did guided hikes and other adventure trips into the mountains or desert and this was a far too common complaint by many women who had bad outdoor experiences with their boyfriends or husbands over the years.

My intent with any of my trips was to share some of the special places I had found with others and for everyone on the trip to have fun. After sitting the entire group down and explaining what we were going to be doing at the trailhead and explaining my expectations of the group we would head off into the forest, desert, or wilderness. Invariably I had to reign in the boys who wanted to go off plan and forget all about the "fun" part of the trip. The destination is not always the objective, the journey getting there was far more important. Once they understood that, it was a lot easier for everyone in the group, they needed to learn to hike at the comfort level of the least among us. I gave everyone a chance to actually SEE what was around them, which for many was the first time they had really observed anything other than the few feet of trail in front of their hiking boots:)

Seriously, I think this is what it is... I really think he doesn't get that I am not uber-fit at the moment... Also, he has been hiking/climbing from a VERY young age, so I he underestimates how hard it is for a beginner. I obviously had a talk with him (again) and I like Wendy's idea of planning the hike. (I think it was Wendy's idea - sorry if I am attributing this stroke of genius to the wrong genius! :P) I don't know enough to plan the whole thing myself, but next time I will ask him to show/explain in advance what he is planning and agree on a "Plan B" route that is easier/harder so we have options.

Having been Hillwalking for over 20 years Nataly i would defiantly tell your boyfriend your concerns. Cannucks advise is good as hillwalking sticks alleviate the pressure placed on your Knees and legs shock absorbing on downward slopes(less pain next day:D). They also act as good pace setters when going on flat surfaces

If you take people out on the Hills then you must be aware of the route and more importantly, that the group will only be going as fast as the slowest person and plan accordingly. The Group leader should speak to the group and make them aware of the route how long how difficult the terrain is prior to selection. There is a lot more involved in being safe out there, Pick the right equipment. Leave a route plan with a friend or family or with the Mountain rangers for the area with a estimated time for completion and add on a sfety margin for to contact them . This way if anything goes wrong they now the area to search and will be a lot quicker. In the UK Mountain rescue is a volunteer service. so most experienced hillwalkers / mountaineers, try not to do anything that might lead to them getting called out.

The mountains are there to be enjoyed its not meant to be a Chore, if it is then something is wrong:D.

Have fun stay safeB|
Its been a month from my last outing in Glen Coe, feet are itching again lol

this was my morning
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9483441@N07/8008932629/

Rainreach 1st Munro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9483441@N07/8008929425/

This was my 2nd
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9483441@N07/8008989867/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9483441@N07/8009103481/

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun