jtval

cutaway...the movie

I know it's an old topic but i finally saw "cutaway" a few days ago. and i remember a post on the old site.
I can see why some/most skydivers saw this movie as a hack but all in all it is still a movie about what we all love. no not neccessarily doorstep drug delivery service but skydiving.(it had some cool shots in there)

you gotta realize if they filmed a true "day-in-the-life" of a skydiver. who would wanna watch it?
anyway here's my question.
i heard tom berenger and (whichever)Baldwin actually went thru the aff.
does any one know how true that is? what about rodman? he;s a crazy s-o-b did he jump?

I'm afraid to admit, I actually bought the DVD. I bought it haven't not seen the movie before, and knowing it would probably suck. I thought it might have some cool shots though.
Anyway, on the booklet that came with the DVD they mention that the actors did sneak away and become licensed skydivers.

I don't know if this makes me an official, but up until a year ago, I worked in the movie industry. I remember reading about films in the pipeline (Cutaway in particular) and wee blurbs on each. The way I heard/read it was that Berenger was the only one to 'actually' skydive...Baldwin's scenes were all filmed in the wind tunnel with a back drop, but they may have changed their minds since that publication (I haven't actually seen it myself yet to verify the reality of the jump scenes).:(
Berenger has his A licence and from what I read just before I left NZ, still jumps!:), but I remember reading a quote from him saying that his wife doesn't like that he jumps (or had to for the movie) but that he understands why people do and would continue to do it when he could.
So, (breath, breath) I know this was long winded, but I think it answers your question.
Others may have more to offer, but I believe this to be as true as the publication I read it in.
Cheers,
Arohanui,
B:P
NZPF A-2584

I don't know about your DZ, but where I jump there are plenty of interesting people who have real jobs and don't smuggle drugs to support their habit. They live day to day lives with families and everything. I think they could make a very interesting movie or tv series about the people at my dz, and the things that happen up in the air and on the ground, without resorting to cheezy plot lines. I thought Cutaway portrayed skydivers in a very negative stereotypical way, and I was disappointed.
But, some of the skydiving scenes were cool, and after watching my fiance practice 10 way on a very competetive team 2 years in a row, I got a kick out of the team stuff too.
I just think they could have done better.
Just my .02
Blue ones!

Joe, I could have SWORN you were at Skydive Daytona when Norm showed it, uncut, in the bar. He explained that you have to view it as a whuffo and as a whuffo he asked would it make you want to learn to skydive??? Most agreed that indeed, in looks appetizing to whuffos and may boost the popularity of the sport a bit just like the movie, Point Break did, even though as we all know how fake that was too. I agree, the drug smuggling portrayed skydivers in a negative light, but then again, Point Break did the same to surfers, Drop Zone did the same for skydiving as well (even though I LOVE that movie), the movie The Net did the same thing to hackers, ext....there are LOTS of movies that take a certain group of people, characterize them and portray them in a negative light. It's just how the movie industry works I guess. If Cutaway were about skydivers who simply worked *really* hard at their jobs in order to skydive, there wouldn't have been much of a plot, even a cheesy one. Even though Cutaway didn't really do much for me, I think it's very cool what Norm did for it:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

carrie,
i couldn't agree with you more, about norman kent doing a great thing for our sport. i actually enjoy seeing movie like that. b/c it introduces skydiving to people who otherwise wouldn;t know we exist. especially with the 1-800-skydive being so prominent. and is that tara's voice in the begining of the rented tape. i swear it is. anyway, i did view it as a whuffo and showed it to my whuffo friends(at gunpoint) my roomates have know me from when i was a non-skydiver and understand it alot more then most whuffo's. so they had alot of cool quetions and comments etc.etc. they are the closest thing to dropzone.com that i have in the real world. to answer your question about dz in my area...NOPE. i am smack dab in the middle of daytona and thomaston(macon) there are a few fly by night dz's around but i am not gonna go to those until i am confident in my skills again.(my prob is that i am the only one who will have my own gear, and these dz's may not rent out gear being that they are so small.) on a weekend where im going jumping by myself or if my buddies get their gear i'll go to these"LOCAL" dz. actually they are atill closer to you then they are to me.
oh, yea i missed the showing of cutaway. i though it was on that saturday(iwas there saturday) but it was showed friday night. just missed it. then they showed it on USA network...missed thaT TOO. THEN some stupid guys i work with rented it and told me he saw it . i was like whoa they have it. i rented it that day and watched it four times just to see some skydive stuff.
tigra,
<<>>
actually, now that i think about it , it would be a cool sitcom. but there would have to be alot of backround on each charactor to make the whuffos understand us..

Parachutist profiled Guy Manos several months ago, and he mentioned the training that Berenger and Baldwin went through for the movie--implication being that they both really jumped (a lot, from the sound of it)...he didn't mention Rodman, though.
All you folks having crappy weather this week should come to Oregon--for once, it's not raining! Blue skies, almost 70 degrees...unfortunately, I still don't have dr. clearance, so I don't get to jump! (yet)
-zelda

I normally don't say bad things about people, but when it comes to Dennis Rodman.... what the heck.
They guy is such a poseur. He tried to play the "bad boy" on the court and then would duck behind the refs once he managed to get someone so p#$%@ed off that they went after him. Then he'd shoot of his mouth with the ref in the middle. You have no idea how badly I wanted to see Barkley just level his a$$. He's nothing but a punk.
So it totally wouldn't surprise me if he wimped out. That would be about his speed. He likes playing the part, not living it.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

If you watch the DVD with Guy's comments, you learn that Berenger and Baldwin actually got licensed, and the instructor guy was already a jumper. A lot of the airial shots were really the actors, but he substituted his wife for the leading lady. He never says that the head-down footage isn't Baldwin, but come on... no way. He didn't say much about Rodman though... that was strange.
Trent

Ok, I'm not sure if this is going to be a good or bad mark on my behalf, but what the heck.... I worked on hee set of "Cutaway" and I am in the movie about a doze times, or more. Ask Grogs, he's seen me! The movie was filmed at my old drop zone, Skydive Miami. Tom Berenger and Steven Baldwin did train with us and they did get their A licenses with us. Rodman was planing to jump before he left, but he got arrested with Carmen Electra and left as soon as he was done filming. The movie was a blast to do and I met some wonderful people!!

In addition to Jumpergirl's statement that it was filmed in Skydive Miami, the beach shots were also filmed by Norm's house in Flagler (daytona). It's all REALLY cool even though I haven't been to skydive miami.
Speaking of Rodman...he he he...Mike Michigan did his stunts...ha ha ha, they had to paint his face and the pictures are really funny:)Jumpergirl, that is awesome you were in the movie! How was that?? Was it fun or more weird knowing it was for a movie? (and no, your comment about being in that was not bad, you have every right to be stoked!:)Joe, that sounds really cool what you are doing with your friends, bestowing on them some good answers about skydiving and good impressions. I only wish my friends were half as interested. I pretty much don't have any whuffo friends anymore. Skydivers showed me more or less "forget friendship, we're family" and I LOVE that. It's nice to be accepted so willingly. I'm sure all of you agree:)MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!

"Speaking of Rodman...he he he...Mike Michigan did his stunts"
I'm not sure if Mike did any of Rodman's jumps. A guy named John Sikrosky came in from DeLand to do it. He was there for all of the stunt jumps they did in Miami and Sebastian. You are right about them painting his arms, face and neck. How funny to see a 6'9" man walking around the dz painted like that!! It was great!! I believe John should get the credit for Rodman's jumps. He did a great job.
As far as myself, I had a blast doing the movie!! I learned a lot and I met some really cool people. It is definitly something I will remember for the rest of my life!!
BLUE SKIES!!

zelda---
thanks, found it!
zennie---
i dont watch or care to watch any sports but i was never impressed with rodman persona either.jealous that he dated carman? no. i never woulda hadda chance with her anyway:D kudos to him for that but as icon/idol to kids i thought he was a fool
trent---
thanks. i gotta go get the dvd movie and check it out.
jumpergirl---
luckyB|! i think we spoke about this on the old thread or e mail or something. sounds like it would be cool stuff
plfxpert--(that still sounds wierd to call you that:)i know mike used to jump at sdb. i know his face but never actually met him. but i did see his name in the credits. etc etc.
about bestowing info to my whuffo friends...it's cool that they are interesrted in it.(a few of them actually came to sdb w/ me. to see some of those"crazy people" jump. i think it opened thier eyes ALOT. once they saw that i wasn't the only normal person that skydives, they were WOWed i think.
but then they made an INFORMED decision not to jump and i haven't pressured them since. well one of them still wants to but cant stop drinking long enough to save $$ the other was on the fence and decided.no. but he i sstill interested in it enough to watch the movies/video's and tell people how crazy it is. when he says crazy, he means in a brave, living out your dream sense of the word, not insane.
ok ok this post is wwwaayayyy too long.
so... by
jt

I believe John should get the credit for Rodman's jumps.

I didn't know this so I'm sure that they both did. Mike is one of the first people I met in the sport and has been a very good friend ever since. I'm pretty sure he wouldnt' lie when he said he did some stunts and there were quite a few pictures he had with his face painted black. I'm sorry though about not giving John credit as well. I don't know him and I don't know any of the other people involved in the stunts so I'm glad you brought that up so that each get credit:)It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I'm stoked for you:D.
MUCH LOVE AND BLUE SKIES!

I have no idea if Cutaway was released in England or not. I believe it was. You can buy it online on Amazon.com, but I'm not sure if you can get it in PAL format. I'm sure there are other sites in England that would have it in PAL.
I never met Mike Michagin, but if you say he was involved, then how can I argue?? ;) A lot of people didn't believe I was involved, until we sat down and watched the movie, and they saw me!! B| I have gotten 2 whuffos to commit to a tandem (the first one going this weekend if the weather holds out!!) after seeing the movie! :)Blue skies!!

Jumpergirl, I forgot to mention something I think is kinda cool.
I know it may be a stretch but did you meet another girl doing stunts named Rena? I don't know her last name or even know her well for that matter but she doesn't know that she is kinda why I started skydiving.
When I was going to UF, I lived in Gainesville and the only car insurance company that would take me with my record # of speeding tickets was a company called Florida No-Fault. Anyways, it's kinda a hole in the wall establishment and you wait FOREVER to meet with a person to fill out forms and stuff and while I was waiting one summer (2 summers ago) this girl came in wearing a skydiving shirt and since I've always been into extreme sports, we started talking. She told me she was a traveling massuse but that her real *job* was a skydiver. She said she'd just gotton back from Thailand (a country I'm obsessed with visiting) where they broke a world record and that her boyfriend, named Rambo, and her were going to be doing some stunts for a movie that would be out the following summer, called "Cutaway" and that I should watch for it. She had so many awesome things to say about the sport of skydiving and I was so envious of the traveling, record-breaking, and overall passion in the sport that I never stopped thinking about it and the following summer, I finally began AFF (this is why I planned on doing AFF right from the beginning w/out a tandem b/c I just knew it was for me.) Anyways, about a month after I did my first couple levels of AFF was when the movie "Cutaway" finally came out and I remembered her telling me about it. I wish that I could run into her sometime and thank her for taking the time to talk to me that day while we were waiting. I know when I mentioned her to my AFF instructor, Billy Weber, that he knew her but I haven't met anyone else that knew of her. Anyways, I just want to thank her:)Much love and blue skies,

Of course I know Rena!! She and I got to hang out quite a bit during the filming. I have a very cool picture of her and Montana, Guy's oldest daughter, at Skydive Sebastian. If you watch, you'll see her at thee beginning of the movie, and a few other places, but I forget which. Anyway, when Vic (Badwin) walks onto the dz, at the table is Rena, Bill Booth and a coupld of kids. Rena is holding the baby, who is Guy's youngest daughter, I forget her name. But yes, I do know her and I think she is one hell of a cool girl!! We lost touch when I moved back home, but I'm sure I'll get to see her again.