SethInMI

Dec 24 Frankfurt layover. Anything to do?

German DZ.commers: (or anyone else who knows)

The wife and I are going to Europe in a few months. One option has us laying over in Frankfurt for like 8 hours from morning arrival until evening departure. Will anything be open on Christmas Eve? Shops, attractions, etc?

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Normally shops and stuff close somewhat early on Christmas Eve (afternoonish). 8 hours would be enough time to go from the airport to the city center, have a few drinks, see a bit of Frankfurt and go back to the airport (the metro takes about 10 or 15 minutes).

Living in Frankfurt, I would take you guys around but I will be on my way to northern Germany by then.

In my opinion, there are no big attractions as such but some nice quarters you might wanna visit. E.g. the historic market place ("Römer"), the old cathedral ("Dom"), Sachsenhausen ("historic"/tourist pubs), a walk at the river Main (e.g. across an old bridge, the "Eiserner Steg") or a shopping tour down a comparatively large shopping street (the "Zeil").

....or what piisfish said.