riggerrob

How many languages do you speak?

I can translate drunk skydiver.

Does that count?

My English is okay ~ and I'm fairly fluent in Romulan...but it's usually better not to talk back to those people! :)

My wife on the other hand has a Masters in linguistics and is fluent in 4 languages not counting English...amazes me how she can speak, read & write them without a 2nd thought.

She even has separate iPods full of music dedicated to each different language! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I really only speak one, and fluency in that one might be debatable.

I have some reading knowledge of four others--Spanish, Italian, Greek, and Hebrew and suspect if I spent some time in an immersion situation I could quickly gain basic communication skills.

I know a few words and phrases in Arabic and Haitian Creole.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Spanish, Portuguese and English I do quite well in; French is pretty basic. In the 1970's it was OK, but the 1970's was a long time ago.

Far and away my best profanity is in English.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Does that count?

Why the hell dont you speak fluent Spanish, you're a Texas Cop after all:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Does that count?

Why the hell dont you speak fluent Spanish, you're a Texas Cop after all:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I speak enough Spanish to get the job done and I can understand a LOT more Spanish than most people realize. A nonchalant comment of "hey, you're standing in fire ants" will get a reaction most of the time and then their front of not understanding English is destroyed.;)

It isn't that I haven't tried to learn. Took classes in college, did Rosettastone, took LE classes on Spanish. It's just that every time I try too hard my brain goes "oh, foreign language, I can do this *click* GERMAN!" You want to confuse a border-Spanish speaker who understands some English is to toss in a German verb. Which sucks, since I use Spanish every single day.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

English and ASL fluently... and yes, American Sign Language is a separate language in itself that took me years to master.

Plus I've learned to say "fuck you" in about 4 or 5 spoken languages, and about the same number in different countries' sign languages...

:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Mother tongues:
-French
-English

Fluent:
-Swedish

Get by:
-Italian

Basic sentences:
-Arabic (written: modern standard; spoken: Darija)
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

fluently :
french, english, castellano

pretty good :
german, italian

some very limited portuguese

can read a bit of cyrillic (but not necessarily understand what ot means... just got the letters)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

English and ASL fluently... and yes, American Sign Language is a separate language in itself that took me years to master.

Plus I've learned to say "fuck you" in about 4 or 5 spoken languages, and about the same number in different countries' sign languages...

:D

You don't really "speak" ASL :P

For me, I'm fluent in English; kinda almost fluent in ASL, if we're counting that; working knowledge of Spanish; and a smattering of curse words in Italian. :)

Farsi-fluently
English-fluently

Turkish-Barely i can understand what is being said in a conversation and say a few words thats it.
Arabic- Same as trukish but i can read and write it at a low levell too.

I can say badwords in many languages;)

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Seriously....if you don't mind....could you describe one or two of those ? I'd love to be able to flip someone off with a sign other than 'the bird', and then have the opportunity to explain what it meant. Just another addition to my 'assholish behaviour' repertoire.:)
The only foreign sign language I know is the Italian for 'up yours'.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

I read, speak and write English.

I read and speak some dialects of French.

My German used to be good enough to do tandems.

I understand tourist-level Spanish.

I understand enough Brazilian Portugese to struggle through a capoera class.

I speak enough Japanese to get a giggle out of tourists.

I can insult you three different ways in Polish.